Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Costa Leads Moment of Silence for Killed Ukrainian Civilians
Bill McEwen updated website photo 2024
By Bill McEwen, News Director
Published 3 years ago on
April 8, 2022

Share

 

Congressman Jim Costa (D-Fresno) led a moment of silence on the House floor Thursday honoring innocent civilians killed by Russian forces in the Kyiv suburb of Bucha.

Watch: Costa Leads Moment of Silence for Ukrainian War Dead

“It is heartbreaking to see the bodies of hundreds of Ukrainian civilians lining the streets in areas that have been laid to waste by Vladimir Putin’s military. Putin and his regime have cemented themselves as a force of evil,” Costa said in a news release.

“The United States and our allies must continue to stand up to Putin and tighten sanctions to cripple Russia’s economy, including ending the import of Russian fossil fuels globally. We must also work with our allies to continue to arm Ukraine so it can defend itself. The international community must remain vigilant and stand with Ukraine in every way possible, otherwise Putin will not stop. The future of Europe and our global security is at stake.”

House Passes Ukrainian War Crimes Investigation Bill

On Thursday, the Valley’s entire congressional delegation voted for H.R. 7276, the Ukrainian Invasion War Crimes Deterrence and Accountability Act. With “aye” votes from Costa, Josh Harder (D-Turlock), Kevin McCarthy (R-Bakersfield), Tom McClintock (R-Elk Grove), Jerry McNerney (D-Stockton), and David Valadao (R-Hanford), the bill passed 418-7.

Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Georgia) and Liz Cheney (R-Wyoming) were among the seven Republicans who opposed the legislation.

The bill authorizes the United States to investigate alleged war crimes committed by Russia in Ukraine, and requires the president to report to Congress on atrocities there.

Ukrainian Officials View Mass Graves in Bucha

Ukraine’s Prosecutor General, Iryna Venediktova, visited Bucha on Friday, where journalists and returning Ukrainians discovered scores of bodies on streets and in mass graves after the withdrawal of Russian forces.

With Venediktova present, workers pulled corpses from a mass grave near a church. None of the dead were Russians, she said. Most of them had been shot. The prosecutor general’s office is investigating the deaths, and other mass casualties involving civilians, as possible war crimes.

RELATED TOPICS:

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

DON'T MISS

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

DON'T MISS

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

DON'T MISS

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

DON'T MISS

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

DON'T MISS

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

UP NEXT

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

UP NEXT

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

UP NEXT

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

UP NEXT

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

UP NEXT

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

UP NEXT

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

UP NEXT

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

Bill McEwen,
News Director
Bill McEwen is news director and columnist for GV Wire. He joined GV Wire in August 2017 after 37 years at The Fresno Bee. With The Bee, he served as Opinion Editor, City Hall reporter, Metro columnist, sports columnist and sports editor through the years. His work has been frequently honored by the California Newspapers Publishers Association, including authoring first-place editorials in 2015 and 2016. Bill and his wife, Karen, are proud parents of two adult sons, and they have two grandsons. You can contact Bill at 559-492-4031 or at Send an Email

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

5 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

5 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

5 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

7 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

8 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

9 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

9 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

9 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

10 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

10 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

GV Wire’s Edward Smith talks with KMPH Fox 26 “Great Day” anchor Christina Rodriguez about the possibility of CEMEX digging a 600-foot hole ...

4 hours ago

4 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
4 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

5 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

5 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

5 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

5 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
7 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

8 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend