Tulare County prosecutors have filed their first felony cases under Proposition 36, targeting repeat offenders of theft and drug crimes. (Tulare County DA)
Share
Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
|
Tulare County prosecutors have filed their first felony cases under Proposition 36, a 2024 ballot measure that addressed theft and drug crimes, the Tulare County District Attorney’s Office said in a statement.
“Prior to the implementation of this new law, these crimes would have been filed as misdemeanors and the revolving door for repeat offenders would have continued. These are now felony crimes, and have been filed as such.” — Tim Ward, Tulare County DA
Related Story: Tulare County Armed Robbery Linked to Others. Suspects At-Large.
“The message is clear: Californians demand accountability for repeat offenders. The crimes addressed by Proposition 36 greatly affect the quality of life for those who live and work in our Tulare County communities,” said District Attorney Tim Ward.
About Prop 36
Proposition 36 allows prosecutors to file felony charges for theft and shoplifting when offenders have two prior theft-related convictions.
It also mandates stricter penalties and treatment for felony drug possession involving hard narcotics, such as fentanyl, for individuals with two prior convictions.
The measure received 68.4% voter approval on the November ballot.
Related Story: Tulare County At-Risk Man Missing After Leaving Hospital Found
Since the measure’s implementation in mid-December, Tulare County prosecutors have filed felony theft charges against 13 defendants and felony drug possession charges against 12 defendants, crimes that previously would have been classified as misdemeanors.
“Prior to the implementation of this new law, these crimes would have been filed as misdemeanors and the revolving door for repeat offenders would have continued. These are now felony crimes, and have been filed as such,” Ward said.
Related Story: Tulare County Man Sentenced to Life in Prison for Child Molestation
—
Connect with Anthony W. Haddad on social media. Got a tip? Send an email.
RELATED TOPICS:
Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks
14 hours ago
Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency
15 hours ago
First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close
17 hours ago
Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6
17 hours ago
Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike
17 hours ago
President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point
18 hours ago
Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal
18 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency
