Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Israel’s Military Says Hostages Were Likely Killed by Hamas as Airstrike Hit
d8a347b41db1ddee634e2d67d08798c102ef09ac
By The New York Times
Published 4 months ago on
December 4, 2024

Ruti Munder reaches out to touch the flowers covering the grave of her husband, Israeli hostage Avraham Munder, during his funeral at Kibbutz Nir Oz, in southern Israel, Aug. 21, 2024. Six Israeli hostages whose bodies were found in Gaza over the summer were probably shot dead by their Hamas captors in February, around the same time that an Israeli airstrike hit near the underground tunnel where they were being held, the Israeli military said on Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2024. (Avishag Shaar-Yashuv/The New York Times)

Share

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

JERUSALEM — Six Israeli hostages whose bodies were found in the Gaza Strip over the summer were probably shot dead by their Hamas captors in February, around the same time that an Israeli airstrike hit near the underground tunnel where they were being held, the Israeli military said Wednesday.

The Israeli military said its investigators could not definitively determine how the six hostages had been killed. But the report could add further fuel to a debate in Israel over whether the country’s military campaign in Gaza is endangering the return of the remaining 100 captives still held there, at least some of whom are presumed dead.

Israeli forces recovered the bodies of the six hostages in August in the southern Gaza city of Khan Younis. The bodies bore signs of gunshot wounds.

Hamas militants lay dead nearby, apparently asphyxiated by the airstrike, said an Israeli military official who briefed reporters on the condition of anonymity to comply with protocol. The official declined to elaborate further.

In a statement, the Israeli military said it was “highly probable” that the hostages’ deaths “were related to the strike,” which may have prompted the hostages’ captors to shoot them. But the Hamas guards’ deaths appeared to raise the possibility that the airstrike might have killed the six hostages either way.

The six hostages were mostly older people taken from their homes during the Hamas-led attack Oct. 7, 2023, which triggered the war in Gaza. They were: Avraham Munder, 79; Haim Peri, 80; Yoram Metzger, 80; and Alexander Dancyg, 75, from the tiny kibbutz of Nir Oz, and Nadav Popplewell, 51; and Yagev Buchshtab, 35, from a nearby community, Nirim.

Hamas and its allies took 251 people captive during the Oct. 7 assault, which killed 1,200 people, most of them civilians. After over a year of war, hostages remain in Gaza despite Israel’s efforts to free them by force and an internationally backed push for a ceasefire and hostage release deal between Israel and Hamas.

Talks have been deadlocked for months, as both Israel and Hamas have set seemingly irreconcilable conditions for a postwar settlement.

Hamas has demanded that Israel end the war and withdraw from Gaza in exchange for releasing the remaining captives. Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli prime minister, has vowed to destroy Hamas in Gaza and maintain overriding security control there.

Netanyahu argues that ramping up Israeli “military pressure” on Hamas will ultimately compel the Palestinian militants to come to an agreement. But at least some of the hostages have been mistakenly killed by Israeli airstrikes in Gaza, including three soldiers.

The Israeli military has since tightened its criteria for authorizing airstrikes, such as sometimes mandating the approval of a special intelligence directorate working on the hostage issue, the statement said. That may require intelligence indicating that an area is clear of hostages, the Israeli military official told reporters.

Israel’s campaign in Gaza has flattened huge chunks of its cities and killed over 44,000 people, according to Gaza health officials, who do not distinguish between combatants and civilians. The Israeli military says it has “eliminated” 17,000 militants.

The families of the remaining hostages fear that each additional day in Gaza further threatens their loved ones’ lives. At least 37 of the remaining hostages are already presumed dead by the Israeli government; the bodies of another 37 have been retrieved by Israeli soldiers.

“The investigation is yet more evidence that military pressure leads to the killing of hostages,” the Hostages and Missing Families Forum said in a statement Wednesday. “The military inquiry, as well as numerous other events, shows the absolute urgency of bringing all of our people back.”

Israel Katz, the country’s defense minister, said he believed that Israel’s tactical successes against Hezbollah in Lebanon and elsewhere in the region were helping to further pressure Hamas. But he did not provide any additional details indicating that either Hamas or Israel was willing to compromise on any of its conditions.

“The pressure on the monstrous organization known as Hamas is growing,” Katz said in a statement Wednesday. “There is a chance that this time we will truly be able to advance a hostage deal.”

This article originally appeared in The New York Times.

By Aaron Boxerman/Avishag Shaar-Yashuv
c. 2024 The New York Times Company

RELATED TOPICS:

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

DON'T MISS

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

DON'T MISS

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

DON'T MISS

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

DON'T MISS

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

DON'T MISS

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

UP NEXT

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

UP NEXT

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

UP NEXT

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

UP NEXT

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

UP NEXT

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

UP NEXT

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

UP NEXT

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

UP NEXT

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

12 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

12 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

12 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

14 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

15 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

16 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

16 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

16 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

17 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

17 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

GV Wire’s Edward Smith talks with KMPH Fox 26 “Great Day” anchor Christina Rodriguez about the possibility of CEMEX digging a 600-foot hole ...

11 hours ago

11 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
11 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

12 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

12 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

12 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

12 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
14 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

15 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend