In the trial for Alec Baldwin's involuntary manslaughter charge, the prosecutor asserts that Baldwin disregarded fundamental firearm safety rules. (AP/Ross D. Franklin)

- The prosecutor detailed Baldwin's alleged negligence during the rehearsal that led to Hutchins' death.
- The trial will explore the intersection of celebrity, gun safety, and low-budget filmmaking.
- Prosecutors aim to prove Baldwin acted with total disregard for others' safety.
Share
Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
|
SANTA FE, N.M. — A prosecutor told jurors that Alec Baldwin “violated the cardinal rules of firearm safety” in opening statements Wednesday at his trial for involuntary manslaughter.
“The evidence will show that someone who played make believe with a real gun and violated the cardinal rules of firearm safety is the defendant, Alexander Baldwin,” special prosecutor Erlinda Ocampo Johnson said.
She emphasized that the set of the film “Rust,” where cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, “a vibrant 42-year-old rising star,” was shot and killed, was a workplace.
“The evidence will show that like in many workplaces, there are people who act in a reckless manner and place other people in danger,” Johnson said. “That, you will hear, is the defendant.”
Johnson walked the jurors through the events leading up to the Oct. 21, 2021, shooting. She said on that day, Baldwin declined multiple opportunities for standard safety checks before the rehearsal and instead “did his own thing” with the revolver at the rehearsal where Hutchins was killed.
“He cocks the hammer, points it straight at Miss Hutchins, and fires that gun, sending that live bullet right into Miss Hutchins body,” Johnson said.
Related Story: Grand Jury Indicts Alec Baldwin in Fatal Shooting of Cinematographer on Movie ...
The Trial and Its Implications
Johnson is a relative newcomer to the case, appointed in late April by the Santa Fe district attorney’s office.
The trial will delve into the confluence of gun safety, high-wattage celebrity and a low-budget Western movie on the remote ranch set.
The 16 jurors — 11 women and five men — come from a region with strong currents of gun ownership and safety informed by backcountry hunting. Four of the jurors will be deemed alternates while the other 12 deliberate once they get the case.
The shooting death of cinematographer Hutchins nearly three years ago sent shock waves through the film industry and led to one felony charge against Baldwin that could result in up to 18 months in prison.
Baldwin has pleaded not guilty. He entered the courtroom with a disposable coffee cup in his hand. His wife Hilaria Baldwin and brother, Stephen Baldwin, were seated close by in the audience, among relatives and friends of the defendant.
He sat surrounded by his lawyers, wearing a dark blue suit in the downtown Santa Fe courthouse a short drive from the movie-ranch setting of scenes from “Rust.”
Baldwin has claimed the gun fired accidentally after he followed instructions to point it toward Hutchins, who was behind the camera. Unaware that it was loaded with a live round, he said he pulled back the hammer — not the trigger — and it fired.
Related Story: Family of Marine Killed in Afghanistan Fails to Win Lawsuit Against Alec
Prosecution and Defense Arguments
Prosecutors have said they’ll present evidence that Baldwin went “off script” and failed to follow basic industry standards for firearms safety when he pointed the firearm at Hutchins on Oct. 21, 2021.
Baldwin, the star of “Beetlejuice,” “Glengarry Glen Ross” and “30 Rock,” has been a household name as an actor and public personality for more than three decades.
In court filings, defense attorneys have highlighted that the armorer, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, already has been found responsible for the shooting, along with testimony that the gun had been checked by an assistant director before it was handed to Baldwin — and that the shooting was incomprehensible and shocking to the entire movie crew because of their belief that there was no live ammunition on set.
Related Story: Prosecutors Seeking to Recharge Alec Baldwin in Fatal Shooting on Set of ...
Prosecutors have two alternative standards for proving the charge. One is based on the negligent use of a firearm. The other is proving beyond a reasonable doubt that Baldwin acted with total disregard or indifference for the safety of others.
Testimony at trial will delve into shortcomings in a final safety check of the gun before Baldwin began rehearsing with it, as well as the mechanics of the weapon and whether it could have fired without a trigger pull. The live bullet that killed Hutchins also wounded director Joel Souza.
RELATED TOPICS:
Visalia Driver Arrested for DUI After Multiple Crashes and Pedestrian Injured
13 hours ago
Dollar Trades Lower With Fed Cut In View, On Course For Monthly Drop
13 hours ago
Visalia Semi Crash Injures Amazon Truck Driver After Red Light Collision
13 hours ago
Evacuation of Gaza City Would Be Unsafe and Unfeasible, Says Head of Red Cross
13 hours ago
Most Trump Tariffs Are Not Legal, US Appeals Court Rules
13 hours ago
New $250 Visa Fee Risks Deepening US Travel Slump
13 hours ago
Prime Minister of Yemen’s Houthi Government Killed in Israeli Strike
13 hours ago
California Schools Reverse Truancy Trends. Improving Reading Scores Could Be Next
13 hours ago

Judge Blocks Pillar of Trump’s Mass Deportation Campaign

Visalia Driver Arrested for DUI After Multiple Crashes and Pedestrian Injured

Dollar Trades Lower With Fed Cut In View, On Course For Monthly Drop

Visalia Semi Crash Injures Amazon Truck Driver After Red Light Collision
