A new Fresno EOC program is offering as much as $2,000 to help low-income residents pay past-due water and sewer bills.
“We want to help with (water bills), so households can continue to purchase food and cover unexpected costs.” — Gilda Arreguin, director, Fresno EOC Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program
But you need to act quickly to receive the one-time grants, which will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. The program ends in August 2023.
Fresno EOC officials say the grants are for households that are in danger of losing or have lost their water services.
According to the State Water Resources Control Board, about half a million Californians have had water shutoffs since 2019 due to nonpayment.
“With rising prices on everything from food to fuel, low-income households in rural and urban Fresno County face barriers in paying their water and sewer (wastewater) bills,” said program director Gilda Arreguin in a news release. “We want to help with that expense, so households can continue to purchase food and cover unexpected costs.”
The full list of eligibility requirements is at this link. Here are some of the basics:
- Households must meet the definition of low income.
- Households must have a past due balance on their bill. Applicants must provide a water bill, wastewater bill, or property tax statement with a past due amount.
- A client’s water or wastewater system must be enrolled in direct payment. Payments go directly to owners and operators of water systems and cannot be paid to customers.
- Households must subscribe to a community water or wastewater treatment system. Those with private water wells and septic tanks are not eligible.
Participating Water Systems
This is the list of participating water systems as of July 20. Fresno EOC says that if your water system isn’t enrolled, please wait to sign up until after the system is added.
- Bakman Water Company
- California Water Service
- City of Fresno
- City of Clovis
- City of Dos Palos
- City of Kerman
- City of Kingsburg
- City of Mendota
- City of Parlier
- City of Sanger
- City of Coalinga
- Del Rey Community Services District
- Laton Community Services District
Link to Apply
To apply for the Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program through Fresno EOC, click here.
Energy Bill Help
The state also offers one-time assistance to low-income households for their energy bills. Find out more at this link.