Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

3 hours ago

US Air Force will Offer Military Funeral Honors to Slain Capitol Rioter

4 hours ago

US Republican Senator Joni Ernst Will Not Run for Re-Election, CBS News Reports

6 hours ago

Wall Street Falls as Dell, Nvidia Drive Tech Losses

6 hours ago

US Denies Visas to Palestinian Officials Ahead of UN General Assembly

8 hours ago

Minneapolis Children Revealed Courage, Absorbed Fear During Church Shooting

1 day ago

Ford Recalls Nearly 500,000 Vehicles Over Brake Fluid Leak

1 day ago

Fresno-Bound Passenger Says Delta Attendant Slapped Him, Seeks $20M

1 day ago
Extraordinary Warning to Trump by 10 Former Pentagon Chiefs
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 5 years ago on
January 4, 2021

Share

WASHINGTON — In an extraordinary rebuke of President Donald Trump, all 10 living former secretaries of defense are cautioning against any move to involve the military in pursuing claims of election fraud, arguing that it would take the country into “dangerous, unlawful and unconstitutional territory.”

The 10 men, both Democrats and Republicans, signed on to an opinion article published Sunday in The Washington Post that implicitly questioned Trump’s willingness to follow his Constitutional duty to peacefully relinquish power on Jan. 20. Following the Nov. 3 election and subsequent recounts in some states, as well as unsuccessful court challenges, the outcome is clear, they wrote, while not specifying Trump in the article.

“The time for questioning the results has passed; the time for the formal counting of the electoral college votes, as prescribed in the Constitution and statute, has arrived,” they wrote.

The former Pentagon chiefs warned against use of the military in any effort to change the outcome.

“Efforts to involve the U.S. armed forces in resolving election disputes would take us into dangerous, unlawful and unconstitutional territory,” they wrote. “Civilian and military officials who direct or carry out such measures would be accountable, including potentially facing criminal penalties, for the grave consequences of their actions on our republic.”

A number of senior military officers, including Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, have said publicly in recent weeks that the military has no role in determining the outcome of U.S. elections and that their loyalty is to the Constitution, not to an individual leader or a political party.

The 10 former Pentagon leaders also warned in their Post article of the dangers of impeding a full and smooth transition at Defense Department prior to Inauguration Day as part of a transfer to power to President-elect Joe Biden. Biden has complained of efforts by Trump-appointed Pentagon officials to obstruct the transition.

Tensions With Iran Represent Just Such a Moment

Without mentioning a specific example, the former defense secretaries wrote that transfers of power “often occur at times of international uncertainty about U.S. national security policy and posture,” adding, “They can be a moment when the nation is vulnerable to actions by adversaries seeking to take advantage of the situation.”

Tensions with Iran represent just such a moment. Sunday marked one year since the U.S. killing of Qassem Soleimani, the top Iranian general; Iran has vowed to avenge the killing, and U.S. officials said in recent days that they are on heightened alert for potential Iranian attack on U.S. forces or interests in the Middle East.

In a further sign of U.S.-Iranian tension, the acting secretary of defense, Christopher Milller, announced Sunday evening that he has changed his mind about sending the Navy aircraft carrier, the USS Nimitz, home from the Middle East and instead will keep the vessel on duty. Just last week, Miller announced that he was sending the Nimitz home, a decision that had been opposed by senior military officers.

In reversing himself, Miller cited “recent threats issued by Iranian leaders against President Trump and other U.S. government officials.” He did not elaborate, and the Pentagon did not respond to questions.

The opinion article in the Post was signed by Dick Cheney, William Perry, Donald Rumsfeld, William Cohen, Robert Gates, Leon Panetta, Chuck Hagel, Ash Carter, James Mattis and Mark Esper. Mattis was Trump’s first defense secretary; he resigned in 2018 and was succeeded by Esper, who was fired just days after the Nov. 3 election.

The Post reported that the idea for writing the opinion piece began with a conversation between Cheney and Eric Edelman, a retired ambassador and former senior Pentagon official, about how Trump might seek to use the military in coming days.

RELATED TOPICS:

DON'T MISS

What Are Fresno Real Estate Experts Predicting for 2025 and Beyond?

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

DON'T MISS

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

DON'T MISS

Fresno Shelter Helps Homeless Recover from Hospital Stays. It’s Also a ‘Good Neighbor’

DON'T MISS

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

DON'T MISS

Judge Blocks Enforcement of Texas Law Restricting DEI and ESG Advice

DON'T MISS

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

DON'T MISS

Trump Cancels $4.9 Billion in Foreign Aid, Escalating Spending Fight with Congress

DON'T MISS

U.S. News Releases Best High School Rankings. How Did Fresno Schools Do?

DON'T MISS

Trump Ends Security Protection for Former Vice President Harris

DON'T MISS

Fresno Labor Day Traffic Alert for Motorists Using Maroa Avenue

UP NEXT

US Republican Senator Joni Ernst Will Not Run for Re-Election, CBS News Reports

UP NEXT

Trump Moves to Permanently Cancel Funding in Rare Move Around Congress

UP NEXT

US Denies Visas to Palestinian Officials Ahead of UN General Assembly

UP NEXT

Trump Ends Security Protection for Former Vice President Harris, Senior White House Official Says

UP NEXT

Trump Signs Order to End Collective Bargaining With Some Federal Unions

UP NEXT

Minneapolis Children Revealed Courage, Absorbed Fear During Church Shooting

UP NEXT

Trump Signs Memo to Prevent Federal Grants From Being Diverted to Lobbying, White House Says

UP NEXT

Fresno vs. Clovis: Which City Is Cheaper to Live in Right Now?

UP NEXT

White House Fires Member of Railroad-Regulating Surface Transportation Board

UP NEXT

In Chicago, Locals Prepare for Trump’s Possible Deployment of National Guard

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

2 hours ago

Judge Blocks Enforcement of Texas Law Restricting DEI and ESG Advice

2 hours ago

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

3 hours ago

Trump Cancels $4.9 Billion in Foreign Aid, Escalating Spending Fight with Congress

3 hours ago

U.S. News Releases Best High School Rankings. How Did Fresno Schools Do?

3 hours ago

Trump Ends Security Protection for Former Vice President Harris

4 hours ago

Fresno Labor Day Traffic Alert for Motorists Using Maroa Avenue

4 hours ago

Turkey Bars Israeli Ships from Its Ports and Restricts Airspace

4 hours ago

UK, France, Germany Urge Iran to Agree to Deal to Delay UN Sanctions

4 hours ago

US Air Force will Offer Military Funeral Honors to Slain Capitol Rioter

4 hours ago

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

A Florida man has been indicted on federal charges on Thursday accusing him of conspiring with inmates to smuggle fentanyl and contraband ce...

9 minutes ago

The seal of the U.S. Justice Department is seen on the podium in the Department's headquarters briefing room before a news conference with the Attorney General in Washington, January 24, 2023. (Reuters File)
9 minutes ago

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

Abdulrahman Hisham, 20, an Egyptian social media content creator, looks at his page with several videos, amid a wave of cases prompting Egypt to consider tighter regulations on social media platforms at his residence in n Cairo, Egypt August, 20, 2025. REUTERS/Amr Abdallah Dalsh
13 minutes ago

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

1 hour ago

Fresno Shelter Helps Homeless Recover from Hospital Stays. It’s Also a ‘Good Neighbor’

A Dutch Bros Coffee employee takes customers drink orders at cars lined up at a drive-thru.
2 hours ago

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

2 hours ago

Judge Blocks Enforcement of Texas Law Restricting DEI and ESG Advice

3 hours ago

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

3 hours ago

Trump Cancels $4.9 Billion in Foreign Aid, Escalating Spending Fight with Congress

Fresno area schools on U.S. News's Best High School Ranking
3 hours ago

U.S. News Releases Best High School Rankings. How Did Fresno Schools Do?

Search

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Send this to a friend