Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
COVID Hospitalizations Worry Fresno's Top Doc. County Surpasses 35,000 Cases.
TLBBHMAP3-U010ALB5ANM-348f959abae2-512-300x300-1
By Jim Jakobs, Digital Producer
Published 4 years ago on
November 21, 2020

Share

Fresno County passed a sobering 35,000 COVID-19 cases on Friday with the latest health department report.

Since the pandemic began, 35,278 COVID cases have been reported, with 463 deaths and 171 patients currently hospitalized.
“We’ve been watching those hospital numbers very closely. They’re ticking up,” said Fresno County interim health officer Dr. Rais Vohra during a Friday afternoon Zoom call with reporters.
Vohra was wearing hospital scrubs during the video call, preparing to work a shift in a hospital emergency room shortly after.

Holiday Gatherings a Real Concern

“I really am very worried that if this surge doesn’t abate, that if people aren’t careful, and they’re not making good choices over Thanksgiving and into Christmas that we really will exceed the capacity of the hospitals to take care of all the patients that they need to,” said Vohra.

“If people aren’t careful, and they’re not making good choices over Thanksgiving and into Christmas that we really will exceed the capacity of the hospitals to take care of all the patients that they need to.”Fresno County Interim Health Officer Dr. Rais Vohra

COVID-19 Vaccine

Vohra said he’s hopeful the county will have a supply of COVID-19 vaccine available sometime in the month of December. But that’s not a guarantee.

Earlier in the week Fresno City Councilwoman Esmeralda Soria told GV Wire℠ she had been told the county “would” be getting vaccine. However, Vohra says he’s “hopeful” the department would receive vaccines around December 15.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has scheduled a meeting of its Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee  on Dec. 10 to discuss an emergency use application from drugmaker Pfizer of its COVID-19 vaccine candidate.

Vaccine Mandate

GV Wire℠ asked Vohra if the county would mandate that health care workers be required to get the vaccine once it arrives.

“We’re going to ask the state about that,” Vohra said.

On August 31, the county health department issued an order requiring that physicians and other health care workers at hospitals, clinics, nursing homes and other facilities be vaccinated against the flu.

Bloomberg School of Public Health experts say states have the legal and constitutional authority to require that the people who live in that state be vaccinated, or to introduce a vaccine mandate. Those experts also say private employers can also require a vaccine if they have a “reasonable basis.”

Uptick in Acute Alcoholic Hepatitis

UCSF-Fresno’s Dr. Marina Roytman says health officials are seeing a large uptick in acute alcoholic hepatitis. It’s an inflammation of the liver caused by drinking alcohol, it can happen in as little as a few days of heavy drinking.

“We appear to be coping with the pandemic by drinking,” says Roytman. “Over the last few weeks, and maybe the last two or three months are really starting to see the impact of drinking and what it does.”

Roytman says cases of acute alcoholic hepatitis are normally rare, but that’s changed dramatically. “I have never seen anything like this. This is unprecedented,” says Roytman.

She encouraged local residents to monitor their use of alcohol.

Vino Grille & Spirits Owner Reveals He Had COVID-19

“I had very slight symptoms. We thought it was a sinus infection.”Chuck Van Fleet, owner of Vino Grille & Spirits

Chuck Van Fleet, owner of Vino Grille & Spirits and president of the Fresno chapter of the California Restaurant Association confirmed on the county’s health call that he had contracted COVID-19 in July.

“I had very slight symptoms. We thought it was a sinus infection,” says Van Fleet. “I came to work every day. I wore a mask everyday, I washed my hands. The only person that contracted it was my wife.”

Van Fleet cited that as an example of how he believes restaurants can keep people safe and should be allowed to open indoor facilities.

“A lot of people hold you guys (referencing the Fresno County Department of Public Health) responsible for this, and it’s not” said Van Fleet, referring to COVID-19 directives and mandates issued by the state.

Van Fleet says the heads of the California Restaurant Association are meeting with California health officials. He said lobbyists are also pushing for a partial reopening of restaurants at 25% indoor capacity for counties in the state’s most restrictive “purple” COVID tier.

A rally is scheduled Saturday, organized by members of the “Open Central California Safely” Facebook group, in front of the county health department office. Members, many of which are restaurant owners, are also advocating for changes allowing them to open indoor dining rooms at 25% capacity.

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

DON'T MISS

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

DON'T MISS

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

DON'T MISS

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

DON'T MISS

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

DON'T MISS

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

UP NEXT

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

UP NEXT

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

UP NEXT

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Christopher Robert Sharkey

UP NEXT

Diehard Baseball Fans in Sacramento Welcome Athletics and Hope They Stay Awhile

UP NEXT

Flores Homers, Matos and Wade Also Go Deep to Help Giants Cap Sweep of Astros

UP NEXT

Fresno County Authorities Need Help Finding Family of Alejandro Solis

UP NEXT

Lilly Is a Young Terrier Who Loves Dogs, Cats, and People

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

8 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

8 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

9 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

10 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

11 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

12 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

12 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

12 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

13 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

13 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

GV Wire’s Edward Smith talks with KMPH Fox 26 “Great Day” anchor Christina Rodriguez about the possibility of CEMEX digging a 600-foot hole ...

7 hours ago

7 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
7 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

8 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

8 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

8 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

9 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
10 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

11 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend