Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Bullard High Student Texts Shooting Hoax, Schools Locked Down
NANCY WEBSITE HEADSHOT 1
By Nancy Price, Multimedia Journalist
Published 5 years ago on
January 30, 2020

Share

A student’s text about an active shooting at Bullard High School that caused a lockdown at the northwest Fresno school and two neighboring schools was a hoax, Fresno police Capt. Burke Farrah said Thursday.

“There was never any shots fired at this campus, there was never a weapon, there was never any shooting, there was never any threat of a shooting, other than the hoax text that we received.”Capt. Burke Farrah
The visibly angry Farrah said that the shooting report and lockdown unnecessarily caused panic for many parents and others, and he warned that anyone making threats may be prosecuted criminally, pending the results of the police investigation.
“I would appreciate your help in putting this information out as quickly as possible,” he told reporters. “There was never any shots fired at this campus, there was never a weapon, there was never any shooting, there was never any threat of a shooting, other than the hoax text that we received.”
Threats and graffiti about a potential school shooting had been circulating at many Fresno high schools this week, Farrah said.

Massive Law Enforcement Response

Law enforcement vehicles crowd the entrance of Bullard High School during the lockdown Thursday. (GV Wire/Nancy Price)
The student texted police just after 1 p.m., and “dozens and dozens” police, Fresno County Sheriff’s deputies and the California Highway Patrol immediately responded and went directly to the building where the shooting supposedly was occurring, Farrah said.
“On our arrival, we knew there were no sounds of shots fired, no students running or screaming, no problems whatsoever,” he said.
Students at Bullard, Gibson Elementary and Tenaya Middle School were locked in their classrooms while officers investigated the shooting report.
Farrah said officers spoke to the student who sent the text, who told them “she was documenting some chatter that had taken place.”

Threats, Lockdown Also Occurred at Fresno High

District spokeswoman Amy Idsvoog said threats of a school shooting were found in a Fresno High bathroom on Tuesday, leading to a lockdown at the central Fresno school on Wednesday. More threats were found later Wednesday written on the walls of two girls bathrooms, she said.
The threats, written in marker, prompted principal Johnny Alvarado to notify parents via a phone messenger program, Idsvoog said.
The school also arranged for additional security personnel to be on hand on Thursday, she said.
“Today’s incident shows that people are a little tense,” Idsvoog said.
She said she had no information about the age of the student who sent the text. Officials are investigating to learn if another person was involved in the text, she said.
Anyone with information about the threats at Bullard is asked to call the school’s confidential tip line at 559-825-7418, Idsvoog said.

Threats Will Be Prosecuted

Farrah said that as for the threats of a school shooting, “we’re here to tell you that that kind of threat, that kind of conduct, will not be tolerated.”
“If you make a hoax threat at a school in the city of Fresno, we will find out about it. We will pursue it and we will prosecute it,” he promised.
Classes resumed at Bullard after the lockdown was lifted, Farrah said.
Farrah said police are investigating the shooting threats that surfaced this week but have not found out the cause or who is behind them.

No Alerts Sent to Parents

On social media, parents criticized the district for failing to notify them about the lockdowns or clarifying what was going on.

Idsvoog said the district only issues rapid alerts about lockdowns if they affect student arrivals or departures. Districts have been advised not to notify parents otherwise in such emergencies because if they swarm to a scene, their presence will complicate the efforts of responding law enforcement officers.
“If you notify 2,000 parents, their first reaction is to all come to the school,” she said. “That causes additional problems.”
In addition, the district needs to have full possession of the facts surrounding an incident so as not to unduly panic parents by sending out incorrect or incomplete information, Idsvoog said.

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

DON'T MISS

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

DON'T MISS

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

DON'T MISS

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

DON'T MISS

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

DON'T MISS

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

UP NEXT

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Flores Homers, Matos and Wade Also Go Deep to Help Giants Cap Sweep of Astros

UP NEXT

State Center Trustees Render Split Decision on Future of PLAs

UP NEXT

Trump Proposes Tax Deduction for Auto Loan Interest on US-Made Cars

UP NEXT

Western US Sees Sharp Increase in Extreme Weather Impact

UP NEXT

7-Year-Old Girl Was Killed by a Falling Boulder at a Lake Tahoe Ski Resort

UP NEXT

Elon Musk Reclaims Top Spot on Forbes’ Billionaires List

UP NEXT

How Safe Is It to Walk to School? Fresno County Wants to Find Out

Nancy Price,
Multimedia Journalist
Nancy Price is a multimedia journalist for GV Wire. A longtime reporter and editor who has worked for newspapers in California, Florida, Alaska, Illinois and Kansas, Nancy joined GV Wire in July 2019. She previously worked as an assistant metro editor for 13 years at The Fresno Bee. Nancy earned her bachelor's and master's degrees in journalism at Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism. Her hobbies include singing with the Fresno Master Chorale and volunteering with Fresno Filmworks. You can reach Nancy at 559-492-4087 or Send an Email

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

2 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

2 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

2 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

4 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

5 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

5 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

6 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

6 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

7 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

7 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

GV Wire’s Edward Smith talks with KMPH Fox 26 “Great Day” anchor Christina Rodriguez about the possibility of CEMEX digging a 600-foot hole ...

52 minutes ago

52 minutes ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
1 hour ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

2 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

2 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

2 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

2 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
4 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

5 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend