Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
New Zealanders Hand in 50,000 Guns After Assault Weapon Ban
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 5 years ago on
December 23, 2019

Share

WELLINGTON, New Zealand — New Zealand authorities said Saturday their country will be a safer place after owners handed in more than 50,000 guns during a buyback program following a ban on assault weapons. But critics say the process was flawed and many owners have illegally stashed their firearms.
The government banned the most lethal types of semi-automatic weapons less than a month after a lone gunman in March killed 51 worshippers at two Christchurch mosques. The police then launched a six-month program to buy the newly banned weapons from owners.
The buyback ended midnight Friday, with gun collection events staying open late as police reported in a surge in last-minute returns.
Provisional figures indicate 33,000 people handed in 51,000 guns, and another 5,000 guns as part of a parallel amnesty in which owners could hand over any type of firearm without any questions being asked but without getting compensated.
Owners also modified another 2,700 guns to make them legally compliant, while police said they had seized a further 1,800 guns from gangs since March. And police said they’re in the process of collecting another 1,600 guns from gun dealers.

The Ban on Assault Weapons Was Strongly Backed by Lawmakers

Police Minister Stuart Nash told reporters Saturday that criminals would find it harder to get their hands on assault weapons because they tended to steal them from lawful owners, but those weapons would now be out of circulation.

“They never overcame being blamed by authorities for being somehow responsible for a heinous act of terrorism — something they would never do.” police acting superintendent Mike McIlraith
Police Deputy Commissioner Mike Clement thanked gun owners for doing the right thing. He acknowledged in a statement it had been “a difficult process for some people.”
Both Nash and Clement said the country was now safer than it had been before the March attacks.
But Nicole McKee, a spokeswoman for the advocacy group Council of Licensed Firearms Owners, said owners had kept about two-thirds of the banned weapons because they had lost faith in the government and hadn’t been offered adequate compensation.
“They never overcame being blamed by authorities for being somehow responsible for a heinous act of terrorism — something they would never do,” McKee said in a statement.
The ban on assault weapons was strongly backed by lawmakers in an historic 119-1 vote after the mosque attacks. Lawmakers are now considering further restrictions, including creating a register to track all guns.
Police figures indicate the government paid out just over 100 million New Zealand dollars ($66 million) to compensate owners during the buyback.

DON'T MISS

Russell Brand Charged With Rape, Sexual Assault

DON'T MISS

Israeli Military Orders New Evacuation of Gaza City Neighborhoods

DON'T MISS

Sell-off Worsens Worldwide and Dow Drops 1,000 After China Retaliates Against Trump Tariffs

DON'T MISS

Visalia Man Arrested in Child Exploitation Investigation

DON'T MISS

It’s Time to Love Your Desk Lunches

DON'T MISS

Rural California, Reliant on the Trump Administration for Jobs, Braces for Cuts

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

DON'T MISS

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

DON'T MISS

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

DON'T MISS

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

UP NEXT

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

UP NEXT

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

UP NEXT

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

UP NEXT

Protests Planned All Over the World Aimed at Donald Trump and Elon Musk

UP NEXT

Flores Homers, Matos and Wade Also Go Deep to Help Giants Cap Sweep of Astros

UP NEXT

Israeli Strikes on Gaza Overnight Leaves More Than 50 Palestinians Dead

UP NEXT

Hungary to Exit ICC as Netanyahu Visits Amid Arrest Warrant Dispute

UP NEXT

Rubio Visits NATO Amid European Alarm Over Trump’s Agenda

UP NEXT

Trump Proposes Tax Deduction for Auto Loan Interest on US-Made Cars

Visalia Man Arrested in Child Exploitation Investigation

26 minutes ago

It’s Time to Love Your Desk Lunches

36 minutes ago

Rural California, Reliant on the Trump Administration for Jobs, Braces for Cuts

2 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

15 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

15 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

16 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

16 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

16 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

17 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

18 hours ago

Russell Brand Charged With Rape, Sexual Assault

LONDON — British police on Friday charged Russell Brand with rape and sexual assault following an 18-month investigation sparked when four w...

7 minutes ago

Actor Russell Brand is seen during the Republican National Convention Thursday, July 18, 2024, in Milwaukee. (AP File)
7 minutes ago

Russell Brand Charged With Rape, Sexual Assault

Injured people arrive at Al-Ahli Arab Hospital in central Gaza City on Thursday, March 3, 2025. Israel wants to squeeze Hamas into releasing the dozens of hostages still held in the enclave. But other objectives have since emerged. (Saher Alghorra/The New York Times)
15 minutes ago

Israeli Military Orders New Evacuation of Gaza City Neighborhoods

Robert Greason works on the floor at the New York Stock Exchange in New York, Thursday, April 3, 2025. (AP/Seth Wenig)
21 minutes ago

Sell-off Worsens Worldwide and Dow Drops 1,000 After China Retaliates Against Trump Tariffs

26 minutes ago

Visalia Man Arrested in Child Exploitation Investigation

36 minutes ago

It’s Time to Love Your Desk Lunches

2 hours ago

Rural California, Reliant on the Trump Administration for Jobs, Braces for Cuts

15 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
15 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend