Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Las Vegas Massacre Anniversary Sparks Debate on Gun Control
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 6 years ago on
October 1, 2019

Share

LAS VEGAS — In the two years since the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history, the federal government and states have tightened some gun regulations.

“You cannot go to the grocery store. You cannot go to your place of worship. You can’t even go to school and feel safe. I think people are tired of that.” — Assemblywoman Sandra Jauregui

But advocates say they’re frustrated that more hasn’t been done since 58 people died at a concert on the Las Vegas Strip, and that mass shootings keep happening nationwide.

“People are genuinely afraid of going places,” Nevada Assemblywoman Sandra Jauregui said.

The Democratic lawmaker and her now-husband were among the 22,000 country music fans that fled as gunfire rained down from a high-rise hotel into an outdoor venue on Oct. 1, 2017. Neither was wounded.

“You cannot go to the grocery store. You cannot go to your place of worship. You can’t even go to school and feel safe,” said Jauregui, an advocate for gun control in Nevada. “I think people are tired of that.”

The U.S. government this year banned a device that helped the Las Vegas gunman shoot more rapidly. Nevada and some other states also have tightened gun laws, including passing “red flag” measures that allow a judge to order weapons be taken from someone who is deemed a threat.

Those and other efforts to combat gun violence follow mass shootings in the two years since the Vegas massacre, including an attack on a Florida high school last year that killed 17 and attacks in Texas and Ohio that killed 31 people in one weekend this summer.

Gun Control Organizations Also Will Host a Forum

“It’s a shame that it takes more and more of these shootings to bring attention to a topic,” said Liz Becker, a volunteer with the gun control advocacy group Moms Demand Action.

But “I do think that the tide is turning on these issues,” Becker said. The Las Vegas shooting “really galvanized people who, not that they didn’t feel a connection to gun violence survivors, but they just never thought it would be them and their community.”

During memorials Tuesday for the second anniversary of the Las Vegas attack, some will cite other recent mass shootings, including in the Texas towns of Midland and Odessa that left seven dead; at a synagogue in Pittsburgh that killed 11; and at a city government building in Virginia Beach, Virginia, that killed 12.

Two prominent gun control organizations also will host a forum Wednesday in Las Vegas for 10 leading Democratic presidential candidates focusing on gun control issues.

At least two candidates, California Sen. Kamala Harris and South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg, plan to meet nurses and doctors who cared for Vegas shooting victims.

Lacey Newman, who was shot in the leg but managed to keep running, was among the hundreds injured at the music festival two years ago. She’s now an advocate for a company called citizenAID that offers a cellphone app, online training and a bandage kit to help people injured in shootings or accidents.

“Our mass shooting was the beginning of change in how a lot of us see the world,” said Newman, a 35-year-old mother of a fourth-grader who lives in Huntington Beach, California. “That’s a powerful thing. You just never know when something bad is going to happen.”

Police and the FBI found that gunman Stephen Paddock meticulously planned the attack and theorized that he may have sought notoriety. But they found no clear motive.

Photo of people comforting each other during a vigil in 2018
FILE – In this April 1, 2018, file photo, people comfort each other during a vigil for victims and survivors of a mass shooting in Las Vegas. In the two years since the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history, the federal government and states have taken some action to tighten gun regulations. But advocates say they’re frustrated more hasn’t been done since the attack in Las Vegas killed 58 people on Oct. 1, 2017, and that mass shootings keep happening across the country. (AP Photo/John Locher, File)

Lawsuits Over the Massacre Are Still Winding Their Way Through Courts

The 64-year-old retired accountant and high-stakes video poker player killed himself before police reached him in a 32nd floor suite at the Mandalay Bay resort.

Police found 23 assault-style weapons in the room, including 14 fitted with bump stock devices, which the Trump administration banned in March. Several gun rights groups have filed legal challenges to the prohibition, which also requires owners to turn in the devices to be destroyed.

In Nevada, lawmakers passed a measure that ended a two-year legal battle over a voter-approved initiative to expand gun buyer background checks to private gun sales and transfers.

In addition to the “red flag” law, the Legislature also made it a crime to leave an unsecured a gun in a place where a child can reach it.

Democratic Gov. Steve Sisolak called the measures a memorial to the victims, even though they would not have made a difference for the Vegas shooter, who obtained his guns legally.

Lawsuits over the massacre are still winding their way through courts.

A U.S. judge last week refused to dismiss victims’ negligence lawsuit against bump stock maker Slide Fire Solutions.

MGM Resorts International — corporate owner of the Mandalay Bay, where Paddock opened fire, and the concert venue where people were killed — is defending itself against hundreds of liability lawsuits.

The company told federal regulators in May it is in mediation with attorneys for plaintiffs and that it might pay up to $800 million to settle claims.

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Newsom Wants to Bypass Trump Tariffs With Direct CA Trade Deals

DON'T MISS

Markets Plunge With S&P 500 Down 6% and Dow Down 2,200 After China Retaliates

DON'T MISS

Fresno Police Searching for Missing 12-Year-Old Girl

DON'T MISS

Madera Community College Unveils New Multicultural and Veterans Center

DON'T MISS

Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way

DON'T MISS

Saturday’s Spring Fest to Showcase Free, Low-Cost Activities for Fresno Kids

DON'T MISS

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

DON'T MISS

Fresno Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Marijuana DUI Crash

DON'T MISS

Judge Says US Must Return Maryland Man Who Was Mistakenly Deported to El Salvador Prison

DON'T MISS

These Fresno First-Graders Are Topping Their Peers in Reading

UP NEXT

USC’s JuJu Watkins Named AP Player of the Year After Historic Sophomore Season

UP NEXT

Dodgers’ Freddie Freeman Lands on Injured List Following Fall in His Shower at Home

UP NEXT

How Trump’s Latest Tariffs Could Affect Your Wallet

UP NEXT

Curry Scores 37 Points and Warriors Beat Lakers in a Potential First-Round Playoff Preview

UP NEXT

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

UP NEXT

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

UP NEXT

Flores Homers, Matos and Wade Also Go Deep to Help Giants Cap Sweep of Astros

UP NEXT

Trump Proposes Tax Deduction for Auto Loan Interest on US-Made Cars

UP NEXT

Western US Sees Sharp Increase in Extreme Weather Impact

Madera Community College Unveils New Multicultural and Veterans Center

3 hours ago

Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way

3 hours ago

Saturday’s Spring Fest to Showcase Free, Low-Cost Activities for Fresno Kids

4 hours ago

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

4 hours ago

Fresno Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Marijuana DUI Crash

4 hours ago

Judge Says US Must Return Maryland Man Who Was Mistakenly Deported to El Salvador Prison

4 hours ago

These Fresno First-Graders Are Topping Their Peers in Reading

6 hours ago

Fresno Burial Ceremony to Honor Five Abandoned Babies Set for Saturday

6 hours ago

Visalia Man Arrested for Soliciting Sex From Minor in Kingsburg

6 hours ago

Camalah Saleh Cruises to Win in Stormy Fresno State Student Elections

7 hours ago

Newsom Wants to Bypass Trump Tariffs With Direct CA Trade Deals

Gov. Gavin Newsom on Friday asked exporting countries worldwide to spare California their retaliatory tariffs, saying he plans to pursue dir...

2 hours ago

2 hours ago

Newsom Wants to Bypass Trump Tariffs With Direct CA Trade Deals

Specialist Anthony Matesic works on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, Friday, April 4, 2025. (AP/Richard Drew)
3 hours ago

Markets Plunge With S&P 500 Down 6% and Dow Down 2,200 After China Retaliates

Fresno police are searching for Unique Hernandez, 12, last seen on Friday, April 4, 2025, near Inyo Street and Maple Avenue, wearing all black clothing and carrying a black backpack. (Fresno PD)
3 hours ago

Fresno Police Searching for Missing 12-Year-Old Girl

3 hours ago

Madera Community College Unveils New Multicultural and Veterans Center

3 hours ago

Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way

4 hours ago

Saturday’s Spring Fest to Showcase Free, Low-Cost Activities for Fresno Kids

4 hours ago

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

Antonio de Jesus Orozco Montes Deoca, 30, was sentenced on Friday, March 4, 2025, to 14 years and 8 months in prison for a deadly marijuana DUI crash in 2022 that killed one woman and injured four others. (GV Wire Composite)
4 hours ago

Fresno Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Marijuana DUI Crash

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend