A lawsuit filed by the mother of a 12-year-old boy electrocuted at a Fresno apartment complex has been settled for $5.7 million, attorney Warren Paboojian says.
Adrian Antunez was playing with other children at Villa Margaritas, 1235 N. Recreation Ave., when he went to retrieve a football. He was electrocuted by a fence as he reached for the ball on Sept. 28, 2017.
The fence had become electrified by contact from a live bare wire.
“Ms. Antunez is hopeful that by bringing this lawsuit, apartment owners will adhere to city code requirements. This lawsuit should serve as a warning to all landlords to properly repair their apartments with competent and licensed contractors.” — attorney Warren Paboojian
Improperly Installed Surveillance Camera
The exposed wire, Paboojian said, resulted from an electronic surveillance camera improperly installed by the complex’s handyman.
Following the child’s death, city officials said that the wiring was illegal and the camera was installed without a permit or inspection. Code enforcement subsequently issued a citation to the property manager.
“Ms. Antunez is hopeful that by bringing this lawsuit, apartment owners will adhere to city code requirements,” Paboojian said in a news release. “This lawsuit should serve as a warning to all landlords to properly repair their apartments with competent and licensed contractors.”
Empty Room, Empty Heart
Victoria Antunez said of her son shortly after his death: “When I see his room, it’s an empty room and also it’s empty in my heart.”
Adrian, who attended Scandanavian Middle School, was described by teachers and administrators as a friendly student who paid special attention to his younger sisters.
Villa Margaritas is owned by Jason M. Yamada and Chisato Janice Matsuyama Yamada of Rolling Hills Estates in Los Angeles County.
The attorney representing the defendants didn’t return a call from GV Wire seeking confirmation of the settlement.
Prior to the settlement, a Sept. 9 trial date had been set for the wrongful death case.