Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
USC Medical Program Loses National Accreditation
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 6 years ago on
April 26, 2019

Share

LOS ANGELES — The University of Southern California is losing national accreditation for a medical training program dogged by allegations of sexual misconduct.

“We are fully committed to working with the ACGME and USC to take every action necessary to restore our standing for all residency training programs. We are determined to deliver an exceptional training environment that is safe and inclusive for every physician completing graduate medical education.” — Christina Ghaly, director of the county Department of Health Services
The Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education notified USC and Los Angeles County this week that their joint-run fellowship in cardiovascular disease will be stripped of accreditation next year. The decision is final and would effectively shut down the program, which had 15 slots for a three-year curriculum.
USC said it hoped to have a new cardiology fellowship program in place before the current one closes in June 2020.
“We are fully committed to working with the ACGME and USC to take every action necessary to restore our standing for all residency training programs,” said Christina Ghaly, director of the county Department of Health Services. “We are determined to deliver an exceptional training environment that is safe and inclusive for every physician completing graduate medical education.”

The School and the County Were Sued in 2017

The accreditation council gave no public reason for its decision. However, the Times said USC’s medical school dean, Dr. Laura Mosqueda, announced the decision Thursday in a faculty memo that said it was based on concerns about “resident safety and wellness processes.”
The school and the county were sued in 2017 by Dr. Meena Zareh, who alleged while she was a resident she was groped by a fellow in the program, Dr. Guillermo Cortes, and that the incident was never properly investigated. Two other women later came forward with similar assault allegations.
Cortes’ attorney has said his client denies the allegations.
It’s the latest embarrassment for USC’s medical school and health services. The Times reported that previous medical school dean Dr. Carmen Puliafito associated with criminals and people who used drugs and had been captured on video apparently smoking methamphetamine. He gave up his post in 2016 but remained a faculty member until USC fired him in 2017.
USC President C. L. Max Nikias resigned last summer amid reports that the school ignored complaints of widespread sexual misconduct by a longtime campus gynecologist.

DON'T MISS

State Center Trustees Render Split Decision on Future of PLAs

DON'T MISS

California’s Schools Chief Has a $200,000 Salary and a Side Gig

DON'T MISS

Why Project Labor Agreements Are Good for Our Schools and Students: Opinion

DON'T MISS

Trump Proposes Tax Deduction for Auto Loan Interest on US-Made Cars

DON'T MISS

Western US Sees Sharp Increase in Extreme Weather Impact

DON'T MISS

Amazon Said to Make a Bid to Buy TikTok in the US

DON'T MISS

Fresno Man Found Dead, Coroner’s Office Seeks Help Finding Family

DON'T MISS

The ‘Six’ Wives of King Henry VIII Sing Their Hearts Out in Fresno

DON'T MISS

7-Year-Old Girl Was Killed by a Falling Boulder at a Lake Tahoe Ski Resort

DON'T MISS

Musk Could Be Headed for a Washington Exit After Turbulent Times at Trump’s DOGE

UP NEXT

Western US Sees Sharp Increase in Extreme Weather Impact

UP NEXT

7-Year-Old Girl Was Killed by a Falling Boulder at a Lake Tahoe Ski Resort

UP NEXT

Xavier Becerra Enters 2026 California Governor’s Race

UP NEXT

Inside a $17 Billion Maintenance Backlog Plaguing California’s Universities

UP NEXT

California Lawmakers Reject Bills to Restrict Transgender Youth in School Sports

UP NEXT

Elon Musk Reclaims Top Spot on Forbes’ Billionaires List

UP NEXT

California Just Blew Its First Deadline for Voter-Approved Healthcare Measure

UP NEXT

Lakers Hold Off Rockets With 6 3-Pointers Apiece From Dorian Finney-Smith, Gabe Vincent

UP NEXT

Athletics Bat Boy Stewart Thalblum Takes Down Drone in Left Field

UP NEXT

NFL Postpones Tush Push Decision but Passes Other Rule Changes, AP Source Says

Trump Proposes Tax Deduction for Auto Loan Interest on US-Made Cars

1 hour ago

Western US Sees Sharp Increase in Extreme Weather Impact

2 hours ago

Amazon Said to Make a Bid to Buy TikTok in the US

2 hours ago

Fresno Man Found Dead, Coroner’s Office Seeks Help Finding Family

2 hours ago

The ‘Six’ Wives of King Henry VIII Sing Their Hearts Out in Fresno

2 hours ago

7-Year-Old Girl Was Killed by a Falling Boulder at a Lake Tahoe Ski Resort

2 hours ago

Musk Could Be Headed for a Washington Exit After Turbulent Times at Trump’s DOGE

2 hours ago

Outrage Grows Over Maryland Man’s Mistaken Deportation to El Salvador Prison

3 hours ago

Kings County Chase Ends in Meth Arrest, but Deputies Are Looking for Driver

3 hours ago

Xavier Becerra Enters 2026 California Governor’s Race

3 hours ago

State Center Trustees Render Split Decision on Future of PLAs

The board of trustees representing the Fresno area’s community colleges rendered a split decision on the future of labor contracts for...

59 seconds ago

59 seconds ago

State Center Trustees Render Split Decision on Future of PLAs

47 minutes ago

California’s Schools Chief Has a $200,000 Salary and a Side Gig

West Fresno satellite campus of Fresno City College
1 hour ago

Why Project Labor Agreements Are Good for Our Schools and Students: Opinion

1 hour ago

Trump Proposes Tax Deduction for Auto Loan Interest on US-Made Cars

A new Gallup poll shows that extreme weather events have sharply increased in the Western U.S., with 43% of residents affected, largely due to wildfires and extreme heat, while concerns about climate change continue to rise. (Shutterstock AI)
2 hours ago

Western US Sees Sharp Increase in Extreme Weather Impact

An Amazon distribution facility in Garner, N.C., on Feb. 8, 2025. Amazon has reportedly put in a last-minute bid to acquire all of TikTok, the popular video app, as it approaches an April deadline to be separated from its Chinese owner or face a ban in the United States, according to three people familiar with the bid. (Kate Medley/The New York Times)
2 hours ago

Amazon Said to Make a Bid to Buy TikTok in the US

The Fresno County Sheriff’s Coroner’s Office is asking for public assistance in locating the family of 60-year-old Jonathan Scott, who passed away from natural causes on March 17, 2025. (Fresno County SO)
2 hours ago

Fresno Man Found Dead, Coroner’s Office Seeks Help Finding Family

2 hours ago

The ‘Six’ Wives of King Henry VIII Sing Their Hearts Out in Fresno

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend