Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
TV Stars, Coaches Charged in $25 Million College Bribery Scheme
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 6 years ago on
March 12, 2019

Share

BOSTON โ€” Fifty people, including Hollywood stars Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin, were charged Tuesday in a scheme in which wealthy parents allegedly bribed college coaches and other insiders to get their children into some of the nationโ€™s most elite schools.

Federal authorities called it the biggest college admissions scam ever prosecuted by the U.S. Justice Department, with the parents accused of paying an estimated $25 million in bribes.

At least nine athletic coaches and 33 parents, many of them prominent in law, finance, fashion, manufacturing and other fields, were among those charged. Dozens, including Huffman, the Emmy-winning star of ABCโ€™s โ€œDesperate Housewives,โ€ were arrested by midday.

โ€œThese parents are a catalog of wealth and privilege,โ€ U.S. Attorney Andrew Lelling said in announcing the results of an investigation code-named Operation Varsity Blues.

The coaches worked at such schools as Yale, Stanford, Georgetown, Wake Forest, the University of Texas, the University of Southern California and the University of California, Los Angeles. A former Yale soccer coach pleaded guilty and helped build the case against others.

No students were charged, with authorities saying that in many cases the teenagers were not aware of what was going on. And several of the colleges involved made no mention of expelling or taking any other action against the students.

The scandal is certain to inflame longstanding complaints that children of the wealthy and well-connected have the inside track in college admissions โ€” sometimes through big, timely donations from their parents โ€” and that privilege begets privilege.

Parents Spent Anywhere From $200,000 to $6.5 Million

College consultants were not exactly shocked by the allegations.

โ€œThis story is the proof that there will always be a market for parents who have the resources and are desperate to get their kid one more success,โ€ said Mark Sklarow, CEO of the Independent Educational Consultants Association. โ€œThis was shopping for name-brand product and being willing to spend whatever it took.โ€

โ€œThis story is the proof that there will always be a market for parents who have the resources and are desperate to get their kid one more success. This was shopping for name-brand product and being willing to spend whatever it took.โ€ โ€” Mark Sklarow, CEO of the Independent Educational Consultants Association

Prosecutors said parents paid an admissions consultant from 2011 through last month to bribe coaches and administrators to falsely make their children look like star athletes to boost their chances of getting into college. The consultant also hired ringers to take college entrance exams for students, and paid off insiders at testing centers to correct studentsโ€™ answers.

Parents spent anywhere from $200,000 to $6.5 million to guarantee their childrenโ€™s admission, officials said.

โ€œFor every student admitted through fraud, an honest and genuinely talented student was rejected,โ€ Lelling said.

Several defendants, including Huffman, were charged with conspiracy to commit fraud, punishable by up to 20 years in prison.

Lelling said the investigation is continuing and authorities believe other parents were involved. The schools themselves are not targets of the investigation, he said.

The investigation began when authorities received a tip about the scheme from someone they were interviewing in a separate case, Lelling said. He did not elaborate.

Authorities said coaches in such sports as soccer, sailing, tennis, water polo and volleyball accepted bribes to put students on lists of recruited athletes, regardless of their ability or experience. That, in turn, improved their chances of admission.

Photo of William H. Macy and his wife Felicity Huffman
FILE โ€“ In this Sept. 17, 2018 file photo, Felicity Huffman, left, and William H. Macy arrive at the 70th Primetime Emmy Awards in Los Angeles. Huffman and Lori Loughlin were charged along with nearly 50 other people Tuesday, March 12, 2019, in a scheme in which wealthy parents bribed college coaches and insiders at testing centers to help get their children into some of the most elite schools in the country, federal prosecutors said. Court papers said a cooperating witness met with Huffman and Macy, at their Los Angeles home and explained the scam to them. The cooperator told investigators that Huffman and her spouse โ€œagreed to the plan.โ€ (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File)

Staged Photographs of Students Playing Sports

Prosecutors said parents were also instructed to claim their children had learning disabilities so that they could take the ACT or SAT by themselves and get extra time, too. That made it easier to pull off the tampering, prosecutors said.

The fraud included staged photographs of students playing sports, and other photos that were doctored to superimpose applicantsโ€™ faces on the bodies of athletes, authorities said. In one instance involving a student who was being presented as a rower, the participants talked about looking for photos online of a person in a boat where it was โ€œtough to see the face,โ€ according to court papers.

Among the parents charged were Gordon Caplan of Greenwich, Connecticut, a co-chairman of an international law firm based in New York; Jane Buckingham, CEO of a boutique marketing company in Los Angeles; Gregory Abbott of New York, founder and chairman of a packaging company; and Manuel Henriquez, CEO of a finance company based in Palo Alto, California. Telephone and email messages seeking comment from them were not immediately returned.

Caplan was accused of paying $75,000 to get a test supervisor to correct the answers on her daughterโ€™s ACT exam after she took it. In a conversation last June with a cooperating witness, he was told his daughter needed to โ€œbe stupidโ€ when a psychologist evaluated her for learning disabilities, according to court papers.

โ€œItโ€™s the home run of home runs,โ€ the witness said.

โ€œAnd it works?โ€ Caplan asked.

โ€œEvery time,โ€ the witness responded, prompting laughter from both.

At one point, Caplan asked if schools were โ€œconcerned with this.โ€

Colleges Moved Quickly to Discipline the Coaches

โ€œSchools donโ€™t know. Schools donโ€™t know,โ€ the witness said.

The bribes allegedly were dispensed through an admissions consulting company in Newport Beach, California. Authorities said parents paid William โ€œRickโ€ Singer, the founder of the Edge College & Career Network, big money to get their children into college.

Colleges moved quickly to discipline the coaches and distance themselves from the scandal, portraying themselves as victims.

Singer pleaded guilty in Boston on Tuesday to racketeering conspiracy and obstruction of justice. John Vandemoer, the former head sailing coach at Stanford, was also expected to plead guilty.

Colleges moved quickly to discipline the coaches and distance themselves from the scandal, portraying themselves as victims. Stanford fired Vandemoer, UCLA suspended its soccer coach, and Wake Forest did the same with its volleyball coach. USC said it is reviewing its admissions process to prevent such abuses.

In one case, a former USC womenโ€™s soccer coach and the consultant allegedly worked together in 2017 to help a clientโ€™s child get into Yale in exchange for $1.2 million from the family. A false athletic profile created for the student said she played competitive soccer and had been on Chinaโ€™s junior national development team.

The profile was sent to the coach of the Yale womenโ€™s soccer team and the student was accepted. Prosecutors said the Yale coach, Rudolph Meredith, received $400,000 from the consulting company after the student was admitted, even though he knew the student did not play competitive soccer.

Loughlin, who was charged along with her husband, fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli, appeared in the ABC sitcom โ€œFull Houseโ€ in the 1980s and โ€™90s. Huffman, in addition to starring in โ€œDesperate Housewives,โ€ was nominated for an Oscar for playing a transgender woman in the 2005 movie โ€œTransamerica.โ€ She also starred in the TV show โ€œSports Nightโ€ and appeared in such films as โ€œReversal of Fortune,โ€ โ€Magnoliaโ€ and โ€œThe Spanish Prisoner.โ€

Loughlin and Her Husband Allegedly Gave $500,000 to USC

Messages seeking comment from Huffmanโ€™s representative were not immediately returned. A spokeswoman for Loughlin had no comment.

Loughlin and her husband allegedly gave $500,000 to have their two daughters labeled as recruits to the USC crew team, even though neither participated in the sport. Their 19-year-old daughter Olivia Jade Giannulli, a social media star with a popular YouTube channel, attends USC.

โ€œSheโ€™s going to go to college. Iโ€™m the outlier in this thing. Weโ€™re right now in the thick of college application time, which is so stressful.โ€ โ€” William H. Macy

Court documents said Huffman paid $15,000 that she disguised as a charitable donation so that her daughter could take part in the college entrance-exam cheating scam.

Court papers said a cooperating witness met with Huffman and her husband, actor William H. Macy, at their Los Angeles home and explained to them that he โ€œcontrolledโ€ a testing center and could have somebody secretly change her daughterโ€™s answers. The person told investigators the couple agreed to the plan.

Macy was not charged; authorities did not say why.

Macy told Parade magazine in January that the college application process for their daughter was a source of stress. The coupleโ€™s daughter, Sofia, is an aspiring actress who attends Los Angeles High School of the Arts.

โ€œSheโ€™s going to go to college. Iโ€™m the outlier in this thing. Weโ€™re right now in the thick of college application time, which is so stressful,โ€ Macy said.

Sklarow, the independent education consultant, said the scandal โ€œcertainly speaks to the fact that the admissions process is broken.โ€

โ€œItโ€™s so fraught with anxiety, especially at the elite schools,โ€ he said, โ€œthat I think it canโ€™t be surprising that millionaires who have probably never said no to their kids are trying to play the system in order to get their child accepted.โ€

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

3 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

3 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

U.S. companies had trillions of dollars in value wiped out Thursday after President Donald Trump slapped sweeping tariffs on foreign imports...

4 minutes ago

4 minutes ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

8 minutes ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
1 hour ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

3 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Vice President Mike Pence hands the electoral certificate from the state of Arizona to Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., as he presides over a joint session of Congress as it convenes to count the Electoral College votes cast in November's election, at the Capitol in Washington, Jan. 6, 2021. (AP File)
3 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

3 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth attends a joint news conference with Japan's Defense Minister Gen Nakatani at the Ministry of Defense in Tokyo Sunday, March 30, 2025. (Kiyoshi Ota/Pool Photo via AP)
4 hours ago

Pentagonโ€™s Watchdog to Review Hegsethโ€™s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

President Donald Trump holds a signed executive order during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden of the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Evan Vucci)
5 hours ago

President Trumpโ€™s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend