Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
River Access Re-Do? Board Expects Another Contentious Vote
David Website Replacement
By David Taub, Senior Reporter
Published 6 years ago on
February 26, 2019

Share

The controversial question of where the public should be allowed to access to the San Joaquin River for recreational activity is up for debate once again.
Like last time, there is considerable disagreement on the best path.
In Dec. 2017, the San Joaquin River Conservancy Board voted for a plan to build the access point through a Fresno city park, Spano Park (known as Alternate 5B), where Palm and Nees avenues meet in north Fresno. That decision came after months of contentious debate.
Spano Park sits atop a bluff. The proposal calls for construction of a winding road down to the river to provide access, along with a parking lot and trail facilities.

Spano Park vs. Riverview Drive Entrance

That expansive plan won over another option, which would allow access through an existing gate nearby at Riverview Drive (known as Alternate 1) in the river bluff neighborhood adjacent to West Audubon Drive.
In an 8-6 vote, the board approved the Spano Park plan and set a one-year timeline to achieve certain project benchmarks. If those goals were not met, the board allowed itself the discretion to revisit its decision.
This week, the board is scheduled to vote on whether to exercise that discretion. It will meet on Wednesday (Feb. 27, 10:30 a.m. at Fresno city council chambers) and could decide to put Spano Park on the backburner, and start the process to open the Riverview Drive access point.
If the board does move away from Spano Park, supporters on that side say more litigation could be coming.

A Matter of Benchmarks


“It comes down to what I believe is the right thing to do. And, the right thing is Riverview Drive. We would destroy the bluff … we would destroy trees. We are supposed to be the river’s guardians.”River board member Santos Garcia
River board member Julie Vance feels the Spano Park option has not met the required benchmarks, which include gathering proper land use permissions and achieving engineering goals. Vance is the Fresno-based regional director for the state Dept. of Fish and Wildlife. She proposed the one-year benchmark check as a condition of the Dec. 2017 vote.
Asked if the last year has been frustrating, she replied “very. The board hasn’t been involved in addressing these benchmarks. That is all on SJRAC. The only role we have is to be able to review what is brought before us. Unfortunately, we didn’t get much brought before us until real late in the year,” she said.
The SJRAC is the San Joaquin River Access Corporation, a private group of river bluff neighbors who organized to acquire land below Spano Park. The group’s legal counsel sent the board a letter that SJRAC “absolutely” met its benchmarks.
Tom Beggs with SJRAC says his group spent a minimal amount for the land ($1), but legal and engineering costs are approaching the six-figure mark.
“Those who misrepresented that they were not met are totally wrong,” Beggs said.
Another skeptical river board member is newcomer Santos Garcia, a Madera city councilman. To explain his view, he quotes the line from the Joni Mitchell song, “pave paradise and put up a parking lot.”
“It comes down to what I believe is the right thing to do. And, the right thing is Riverview Drive. We would destroy the bluff … we would destroy trees. We are supposed to be the river’s guardians,” Garcia explained.
Beggs disagrees with that too.
“We are not gutting Spano Park, as presented by the opposition to what we are proposing,” Beggs said. He notes that most of the trees that would be removed in the Spano Park plan are already diseased.

River Access Needed, but Where?


“I personally don’t really care where it happens, as long as we have access because frankly, the property was acquired so long ago and the people of Fresno have waited too long.”River board member Julie Vance
Just like during the Dec. 2017 debate, the board is still contending with competing factions favoring either the Spano Park or Riverview Drive options. Supporters of both groups cite the environment, costs and ease of access as to why they believe their choice is the best.
“I personally don’t really care where it happens, as long as we have access because frankly, the property was acquired so long ago and the people of Fresno have waited too long,” Vance said.
Another board newcomer, Fresno County supervisor Nathan Magsig, said as much.
“My goal is to get public access to the river as quickly as possible. So, that’s what the expectation is from the community,” Magsig said.
On Tuesday (Feb. 26), the Fresno County Board of Supervisors agreed on a letter of support in favor of the Spano Park option.
Garcia says the Riverview oppositions is a matter of NIMBYism. Beggs feels there is a legitimate concern about increased traffic in a residential neighborhood.
 
And, Beggs said his group may sue if the river board changes access points.
“Oh, very much,” Beggs said. “The liability is not just from our corporation, but again from those neighbors that will lose their homes — because they are going have to relocate. Who wants traffic signals in your front yard?”

City of Fresno Involvement

“Absent.”
That is what both Vance and Garcia, in separate interviews, said about the city of Fresno’s involvement.
“Maybe things have been going on in the background, but as far as attendance at board meetings and engaging, they have not,” Vance said.
Garcia agrees.
“They haven’t done anything or put it in writing. The city needs to cooperate by not putting up obstacles,” Garcia said.
Vance pointed out that no one from the city attended the river board’s meeting in January (where a vote was taken but later rescinded — see below). But, the board’s minutes for the Jan. 9 meeting contradict Vance’s statement.
Andrew Benelli from the city’s public works department spoke at that January meeting, offering cost estimates for the two access plans.
During the Dec. 2017 debate, Mayor Lee Brand, through then-city manager Bruce Rudd, strongly supported the Spano Park option.
“Basically, what Mayor Brand said was… some people took it as blackmail or threat, that if the board moves forward on Alternative 1, the city would not be a partner for O&M (operation and maintenance) funding. To me that was a pretty important consideration given that we need the city as a partner, ideally, for a major park in the city of Fresno,” Vance said.
Brand, through his communications office, said he will address the board on Wednesday and will not comment publicly until that time.

A Do-Over Vote

The board held three votes on this issue at its Jan. 9 meeting. On the question of moving forward with the Spano Park option, the board tied 7-7, thus the motion failed.
A motion asking staff to prepare another report failed 8-6. Finally, a third vote to ask staff to look at Alternate 1/Riverview Drive passed 9-5.
Afterward, SJRAC attorney John Kinsey warned the board in a letter that their votes possibly violated the state’s open meeting laws, namely the Brown Act. According to Kinsey, the January item was listed as discussion only. It needed to be listed differently on the agenda for a vote to take place.
John Shelton, the conservancy’s executive officer, felt discretion was the better part of valor. Instead of potentially fighting the charge in court, it was easier to rescind the vote and try again later.

New Board Members, New Attitudes?

The board is made up of appointees from state agencies, local government body representatives, and three citizen members (appointed by the governor). The 15 member conservancy board currently has 14 active members. Gov. Gavin Newsom has yet to appoint a citizen member representing Madera County.
Based on the rescinded votes, it appears Magsig’s views on access is in alignment with the man he replaced, former supervisor (now state senator) Andreas Borgeas.
However, Garcia replaced Will Oliver as the Madera city council representative on the board. Garcia willingly admits his views differ from his predecessor. Last November, Garcia won his race for council; Oliver lost his re-election bid in a separate race.
“I think I’m doing the right thing by voting for Alternate 1,” he said.

Wednesday’s Actions

The board is expected to vote on directing staff to move forward with the current Spano Park plan, or direct staff to prepare plans to consider the Riverview Drive access point.
If the board moves towards the Riverview Drive plan, it could trigger a new round of environmental review.
Vance expects another heated meeting.
“I assume the meeting is basically going to be revisiting December 2017. I expect there’s going to be a lot of public presence, a lot of public testimony, similar discussions among the board. It’s going to be fairly contentious and quite long,” Vance said.

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

DON'T MISS

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

DON'T MISS

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

DON'T MISS

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

DON'T MISS

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

DON'T MISS

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

UP NEXT

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

UP NEXT

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

UP NEXT

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Christopher Robert Sharkey

UP NEXT

Diehard Baseball Fans in Sacramento Welcome Athletics and Hope They Stay Awhile

UP NEXT

Flores Homers, Matos and Wade Also Go Deep to Help Giants Cap Sweep of Astros

UP NEXT

Fresno County Authorities Need Help Finding Family of Alejandro Solis

UP NEXT

Lilly Is a Young Terrier Who Loves Dogs, Cats, and People

David Taub,
Senior Reporter
Curiosity drives David Taub. The award-winning journalist might be shy, but feels mighty with a recorder in his hand. He doesn't see it his job to "hold public officials accountable," but does see it to provide readers (and voters) the information needed to make intelligent choices. Taub has been honored with several writing awards from the California News Publishers Association. He's just happy to have his stories read. Joining GV Wire in 2016, Taub covers politics, government and elections, mainly in the Fresno/Clovis area. He also writes columns about local eateries (Appetite for Fresno), pro wrestling (Off the Bottom Rope), and media (Media Man). Prior to joining the online news source, Taub worked as a radio producer for KMJ and PowerTalk 96.7 in Fresno. He also worked as an assignment editor for KCOY-TV in Santa Maria, California, and KSEE-TV in Fresno. He has also worked behind the scenes for several sports broadcasts, including the NCAA basketball tournament, and the Super Bowl. When not spending time with his family, Taub loves to officially score Fresno Grizzlies games. Growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area, Taub is a die-hard Giants and 49ers fan. He graduated from the University of Michigan with dual degrees in communications and political science. Go Blue! You can contact David at 559-492-4037 or at Send an Email

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

6 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

6 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

6 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

8 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

9 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

9 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

9 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

10 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

11 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

11 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

GV Wire’s Edward Smith talks with KMPH Fox 26 “Great Day” anchor Christina Rodriguez about the possibility of CEMEX digging a 600-foot hole ...

5 hours ago

5 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
5 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

6 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

6 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

6 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

6 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
8 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

9 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend