Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Regulators Fine Wynn Resorts $20M Over Sex Allegations
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 6 years ago on
February 26, 2019

Share

LAS VEGAS — Nevada gambling regulators fined casino mogul Steve Wynn’s former company a record $20 million on Tuesday for failing to investigate claims of sexual misconduct made against him before he resigned a year ago.

“It’s not about one man. It’s about a failure of a corporate culture to effectively govern itself as it should.” Commissioner Philip Pro, a former federal court judge
The penalty against Wynn Resorts Ltd. ends an investigation that began after The Wall Street Journal reported that several women said the company founder harassed or assaulted them.
Wynn Resorts will keep its gambling license under the Nevada Gaming Commission settlement reached last month. The four current commissioners unanimously approved the fine.
“It’s not about one man,” said Commissioner Philip Pro, a former federal court judge. “It’s about a failure of a corporate culture to effectively govern itself as it should.”
The previous highest fine in state history was $5.5 million in 2014 against the sports betting and mobile gambling system company now known as CG Technology. It runs sports betting operations at several Las Vegas casinos.
Commissioners John Moran Jr. and Deborah Fuetsch said they considered a higher fine, but did not specify an amount.

Steve Wynn Himself Was Not Part of Settlement

Chairman Tony Alamo said the amount “makes it clear to all licensees that this culture cannot be tolerated,” while also letting the company “heal.”
“It needs to move needles here,” he said. “It needs to ring across the entire country.”
Steve Wynn himself was not part of the Wynn Resorts settlement, and neither he nor any personal representatives attended the commission hearing.
One of Wynn’s attorneys, Colby Williams, said by telephone that he was aware of the fine but declined to comment.
Wynn resigned as board chairman and company CEO in February 2018 following reports that several women said he harassed or assaulted them. Wynn also sold his shares in the company. He has denied all the allegations.
Wynn Resorts acknowledged in the settlement that several former board members and executives knew about but failed to investigate complaints including one that led Wynn to pay $7.5 million in 2005 to a former salon employee who alleged he raped her and that she became pregnant as a result.
“Mr. Wynn … engaged in intimate and sexual conduct with (company) employees,” the settlement document said.

Company Points to Wholesale Changes

The company also failed to investigate a cocktail server’s allegation that from 2005 to 2006 Wynn pressured her into a nonconsensual sexual relationship, the documents said. Wynn paid a $975,000 private settlement to that woman and her parents, the settlement said.

“The company’s initial response during this period was driven by Mr. Wynn’s adamant denial of all allegations.” — Wynn Resorts statement from company spokesman Michael Weaver
Wynn Resorts neither admitted nor denied Nevada Gaming Control Board allegations that Wynn sexually harassed multiple flight attendants on company aircraft.
“The company’s initial response during this period was driven by Mr. Wynn’s adamant denial of all allegations,” said a Wynn Resorts statement from company spokesman Michael Weaver. It acknowledged a “short-sighted focus on initially defending Mr. Wynn, rather than reassuring employees of the company’s commitment to a safe and respectful work environment.”
The company points to wholesale changes in the boardroom and executive offices, including hiring a new chief executive, requiring new sexual harassment prevention training for all employees and adding a women’s leadership council to promote equality in the workplace.
Wynn’s name was removed from the company’s Massachusetts project now called Encore Boston Harbor.

Wynn Seeks to Block Report

“In sum, these 25,000 employees, led by CEO Matt Maddox and a reshaped board of directors, are the company that stands before the commission today, and not Steve Wynn,” the company said in its Jan. 25 written agreement to settle the case.
A company settlement also is pending in Massachusetts, where gambling regulators launched a similar investigation of whether Wynn Resorts should be allowed to operate a more than $2 billion waterfront casino resort slated to open in June in the Boston area.
Steve Wynn sued to block the release of a Massachusetts Gaming Commission report on that investigation, arguing it contains confidential information that is protected by attorney-client privilege. A Nevada state court judge has temporarily blocked its release. A hearing in that case is scheduled Monday.
A former shareholder alleged in a case filed in December that his stock plummeted in value because company officials concealed information about accusations against Wynn.
Records show that Wynn Resorts traded at more than $200 per share before the Wall Street Journal report, and closed at about $165 after Wynn resigned. Company stock closed at $130.45 on Tuesday, up $1.25.

DON'T MISS

Flores Homers, Matos and Wade Also Go Deep to Help Giants Cap Sweep of Astros

DON'T MISS

Fresno County Authorities Need Help Finding Family of Alejandro Solis

DON'T MISS

Lilly Is a Young Terrier Who Loves Dogs, Cats, and People

DON'T MISS

After Briefly Disappearing, TikTok Went Back to Normal. Or Did It?

DON'T MISS

Fresno County Head-On Crash Sends Two to the Hospital

DON'T MISS

Israeli Strikes on Gaza Overnight Leaves More Than 50 Palestinians Dead

DON'T MISS

Clovis Police Seek Three Suspects in Credit Card Fraud Case

DON'T MISS

Ohtani’s Walk-off Homer Boosts Dodgers to 8-0 With Another Comeback Win

DON'T MISS

Colorado Man Charged with Pointing Laser at Fresno Sheriff Helicopter

DON'T MISS

Hungary to Exit ICC as Netanyahu Visits Amid Arrest Warrant Dispute

UP NEXT

Trump Proposes Tax Deduction for Auto Loan Interest on US-Made Cars

UP NEXT

Western US Sees Sharp Increase in Extreme Weather Impact

UP NEXT

7-Year-Old Girl Was Killed by a Falling Boulder at a Lake Tahoe Ski Resort

UP NEXT

Elon Musk Reclaims Top Spot on Forbes’ Billionaires List

UP NEXT

Lakers Hold Off Rockets With 6 3-Pointers Apiece From Dorian Finney-Smith, Gabe Vincent

UP NEXT

Athletics Bat Boy Stewart Thalblum Takes Down Drone in Left Field

UP NEXT

NFL Postpones Tush Push Decision but Passes Other Rule Changes, AP Source Says

UP NEXT

March Madness: It’s South Carolina vs. Texas and UCLA vs. UConn in Women’s Final Four

UP NEXT

Major Layoffs Begin at Health Agencies That Track Disease and Regulate Food

UP NEXT

U.S. Bank Executive Terry Dolan Dies in Plane Crash Near Minneapolis

After Briefly Disappearing, TikTok Went Back to Normal. Or Did It?

16 minutes ago

Fresno County Head-On Crash Sends Two to the Hospital

29 minutes ago

Israeli Strikes on Gaza Overnight Leaves More Than 50 Palestinians Dead

39 minutes ago

Clovis Police Seek Three Suspects in Credit Card Fraud Case

47 minutes ago

Ohtani’s Walk-off Homer Boosts Dodgers to 8-0 With Another Comeback Win

52 minutes ago

Colorado Man Charged with Pointing Laser at Fresno Sheriff Helicopter

58 minutes ago

Hungary to Exit ICC as Netanyahu Visits Amid Arrest Warrant Dispute

1 hour ago

Rubio Visits NATO Amid European Alarm Over Trump’s Agenda

1 hour ago

Dow Drops 1,200 as US Stock Market Leads a Worldwide Sell-off Following Trump’s Tariff Shock

1 hour ago

Senate Rebukes Trump’s Tariffs as Some Republicans Vote to Halt Taxes on Canadian Imports

14 hours ago

Flores Homers, Matos and Wade Also Go Deep to Help Giants Cap Sweep of Astros

HOUSTON — Wilmer Flores homered again and Luis Matos and LaMonte Wade Jr. also went deep to lead the San Francisco Giants to a 6-3 win over ...

3 minutes ago

3 minutes ago

Flores Homers, Matos and Wade Also Go Deep to Help Giants Cap Sweep of Astros

The Fresno County Sheriff – Coroner’s Office is seeking public assistance in locating the family of Alejandro Solis, 67, who passed away on March 26, 2025, in order to release his body for a proper burial. Note: Photo shown is not current. (Fresno County SO)
4 minutes ago

Fresno County Authorities Need Help Finding Family of Alejandro Solis

Lilly the Terrier
10 minutes ago

Lilly Is a Young Terrier Who Loves Dogs, Cats, and People

16 minutes ago

After Briefly Disappearing, TikTok Went Back to Normal. Or Did It?

29 minutes ago

Fresno County Head-On Crash Sends Two to the Hospital

Yamama Jundia, 13, injured in an Israeli airstrike, grieves alongside others over the bodies of their relatives, who were killed in the same strike, at the Baptist Hospital in Gaza City on Thursday, April 3, 2025. (AP/Jehad Alshrafi)
39 minutes ago

Israeli Strikes on Gaza Overnight Leaves More Than 50 Palestinians Dead

Clovis police are seeking public help in identifying three suspects involved in a credit card fraud case after a stolen card was used at Best Buy and Target. (Clovis PD)
47 minutes ago

Clovis Police Seek Three Suspects in Credit Card Fraud Case

Los Angeles Dodgers' Shohei Ohtani hits a walk-off solo home run against as Atlanta Braves catcher Atlanta Braves' Chadwick Tromp looks on during the ninth inning of a baseball game Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Los Angeles. (AP/Kevork Djansezian)
52 minutes ago

Ohtani’s Walk-off Homer Boosts Dodgers to 8-0 With Another Comeback Win

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend