Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Homeless Samaritan Tale Raised $400K. Police Say It’s a Lie.
By admin
Published 6 years ago on
November 17, 2018

Share

MOUNT HOLLY, N.J. — A feel-good tale of a homeless man using his last $20 to help a stranded New Jersey woman buy gas was actually a complete lie, manufactured to get strangers to donate more than $400,000 to help the down-and-out good Samaritan, a prosecutor said Thursday.

“The entire campaign was predicated on a lie. It was fictitious and illegal and there are consequences.” Burlington County prosecutor Scott Coffina

Burlington County prosecutor Scott Coffina announced criminal charges against the couple who told the story to newspapers and television stations along with the homeless man who conspired with them to tell the story.

Coffina said the money, donated to homeless Marine veteran Johnny Bobbitt, will be refunded to people who saw the story and contributed to him through a GoFundMe page set up by the couple, Mark D’Amico and Katelyn McClure.

“The entire campaign was predicated on a lie,” Coffina said. “It was fictitious and illegal and there are consequences.”

Coffina said almost no part of the tale was true. McClure didn’t run out of gas. Bobbitt didn’t spot her in trouble and give her money.

People Who Donated Money Would Get a Full Refund

Instead, the group met near a Philadelphia casino in October 2017 shortly before the three told their story.

“I had to make something up to make people feel bad.” — Katelyn McClure

Less than an hour after the couple set up the page to solicit donations, McClure sent a text message to a friend acknowledging the story was “completely made up,” prosecutors said.

“I had to make something up to make people feel bad,” McClure said in a text — one of 60,000 reviewed by prosecutors — to a friend.

GoFundMe said in a statement that people who donated money would get a full refund in the coming days. Coffina said the effort netted $367,000.

The group spent lavishly, Coffina said, and there are “zero” dollars left.

The couple bought a BMW, took a New Year’s trip to Las Vegas and bought high-end handbags, among other items.

More than $85,000 in cash was withdrawn at, or near, casinos in Atlantic City, Bensalem, Pennsylvania, Philadelphia and Las Vegas.

Photo of mugshots of Johnny Bobbitt, from left, Katelyn McClure and Mark D'Amico
This November 2018 combination of photos provided by the Burlington County Prosecutors office shows Johnny Bobbitt, from left, Katelyn McClure and Mark D’Amico. A feel-good tale of Bobbitt, a homeless man using his last $20 to help Katelyn McClure, a stranded New Jersey woman, buy gas, was actually a complete lie, a prosecutor said Thursday, Nov. 15, 2018. A GoFundMe that was set up by McClure and her boyfriend D’Amico raised more than $400,000 to help Bobbitt. (Burlington County Prosecutors Office via AP)

The Fraud Didn’t Stop With the GoFundMe Page

The fraud didn’t stop with the GoFundMe page. The trio did interview after interview, posed for photos together, revisited the spot where they claimed their first encounter happened and went on “Good Morning America.” The Associated Press prominently featured their story.

Bobbitt, 35, was arrested Wednesday night by U.S. marshals in Philadelphia and remained in custody Thursday on probation detainers and a $50,000 bond. A message was left with a previous attorney of Bobbitt’s.

D’Amico, 39, and McClure, 28, surrendered to authorities Wednesday night and were released. Their attorney said they have no comment.

All were charged with theft by deception and conspiracy to commit theft by deception. The charges carry prison time of up to 5 to 10 years.

Prosecutors began investigating after Bobbitt claimed he wasn’t getting the money that had been raised on his behalf. He later sued the couple.

The Alleged Fraud Might Not Have Been Uncovered

The prosecutor said “there’s a good chance” the alleged fraud might not have been uncovered had Bobbitt not brought a civil suit earlier this year alleging that the couple mismanaged the funds.

The prosecutor said “there’s a good chance” the alleged fraud might not have been uncovered had Bobbitt not brought a civil suit earlier this year alleging that the couple mismanaged the funds.

The investigation began after the lawsuit was brought and parts of the group’s story “didn’t ring true,” Coffina said.

In one text exchange in March 2018, McClure worried that she and D’Amico had less than $10,000 remaining, but D’Amico wasn’t concerned, Coffina said.

He was certain that a book deal they were pursuing would “dwarf” the money from the GoFundMe fundraiser and a few months later, when the dispute with Bobbitt became public, D’Amico was not dissuaded, according to the prosecutor.

Instead D’Amico pitched a title that would encompass the controversy: “No Good Deed.”

Investigators searched the Florence, New Jersey, home of D’Amico and McClure in September after questions arose about what happened to the money they raised for Bobbitt.

DON'T MISS

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

DON'T MISS

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

DON'T MISS

As Dem Candidates for Governor Increase, They Wait for Harris to Decide

DON'T MISS

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

DON'T MISS

Protests Planned All Over the World Aimed at Donald Trump and Elon Musk

DON'T MISS

Average US Rate on a 30-Year Mortgage Dips to 6.64% for the Second Drop in 2 Weeks

DON'T MISS

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Christopher Robert Sharkey

DON'T MISS

Fresno Man Arrested in Armed Robbery After Search Warrant Executed

DON'T MISS

Diehard Baseball Fans in Sacramento Welcome Athletics and Hope They Stay Awhile

DON'T MISS

Carbon Monoxide Was Cause of Death of Brett Gardner’s Teen Son, Officials Confirm

UP NEXT

Trump Proposes Tax Deduction for Auto Loan Interest on US-Made Cars

UP NEXT

Western US Sees Sharp Increase in Extreme Weather Impact

UP NEXT

7-Year-Old Girl Was Killed by a Falling Boulder at a Lake Tahoe Ski Resort

UP NEXT

Elon Musk Reclaims Top Spot on Forbes’ Billionaires List

UP NEXT

Lakers Hold Off Rockets With 6 3-Pointers Apiece From Dorian Finney-Smith, Gabe Vincent

UP NEXT

Athletics Bat Boy Stewart Thalblum Takes Down Drone in Left Field

UP NEXT

NFL Postpones Tush Push Decision but Passes Other Rule Changes, AP Source Says

UP NEXT

March Madness: It’s South Carolina vs. Texas and UCLA vs. UConn in Women’s Final Four

UP NEXT

Major Layoffs Begin at Health Agencies That Track Disease and Regulate Food

UP NEXT

U.S. Bank Executive Terry Dolan Dies in Plane Crash Near Minneapolis

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

30 minutes ago

Protests Planned All Over the World Aimed at Donald Trump and Elon Musk

40 minutes ago

Average US Rate on a 30-Year Mortgage Dips to 6.64% for the Second Drop in 2 Weeks

51 minutes ago

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Christopher Robert Sharkey

1 hour ago

Fresno Man Arrested in Armed Robbery After Search Warrant Executed

1 hour ago

Diehard Baseball Fans in Sacramento Welcome Athletics and Hope They Stay Awhile

2 hours ago

Carbon Monoxide Was Cause of Death of Brett Gardner’s Teen Son, Officials Confirm

2 hours ago

Bettors Back Duke Men and UConn Women for National Championships

2 hours ago

Flores Homers, Matos and Wade Also Go Deep to Help Giants Cap Sweep of Astros

3 hours ago

Fresno County Authorities Need Help Finding Family of Alejandro Solis

3 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

President Donald Trump called it “Liberation Day” on Wednesday as he unveiled reciprocal tariffs, but experts warn the move coul...

11 minutes ago

President Donald Trump holds a signed executive order during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden of the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Evan Vucci)
11 minutes ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

18 minutes ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

26 minutes ago

As Dem Candidates for Governor Increase, They Wait for Harris to Decide

30 minutes ago

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

On April 5th, the "Hands Off!" group will hold an international protest, including a Fresno demonstration at Fashion Fair Mall, urging Donald Trump and Elon Musk to stop their influence over vital social programs and rights. (Hands Off!)
40 minutes ago

Protests Planned All Over the World Aimed at Donald Trump and Elon Musk

A for sale sign stands outside a home on the market in the Alamo Placita neighborhood Tuesday, Aug. 27, 2024, in central Denver. (AP File)
51 minutes ago

Average US Rate on a 30-Year Mortgage Dips to 6.64% for the Second Drop in 2 Weeks

Christopher Robert Sharkey is Valley Crime Stoppers' Most Wanted Person of the Day for April 3, 2025. (Valley Crimes Stoppers)
1 hour ago

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Christopher Robert Sharkey

Johnny Hernandez, 38, was arrested in connection with an armed robbery at Adina Valley Market on April 1 and faces multiple felony charges, including robbery and assault with a firearm. (Fresno County SO)
1 hour ago

Fresno Man Arrested in Armed Robbery After Search Warrant Executed

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend