Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Musk Says He's Talking With Saudi Fund to Take Tesla Private
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 7 years ago on
August 13, 2018

Share

DETROIT — Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund would be the main source of money for Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s grand plan to take the company private, but the deal isn’t done yet, Musk disclosed in a blog  Monday.
The fund approached Musk about going private multiple times during the past two years, and Musk says he left a July 31 meeting with no question that the deal could be closed. That’s why he tweeted on Aug. 7 that the funding had been secured:


It is that phrase that may lead to trouble for Musk.
If the tweet is deemed by regulators to be a factual statement, and it was taken as such by investors who drove shares up 11 percent on that day, Musk could be at risk for securities fraud if it wasn’t entirely true.
Already there are reports that the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission is looking into Musk’s tweet, which raised the Tesla stock price 11 percent in one day.

Funding for the Deal

Funding for the deal would come from the ultraconservative kingdom’s Public Investment Fund, one of the world’s largest sovereign wealth funds. Founded in 1971, the fund has some $250 billion in investments across the world, according to the Sovereign Wealth Fund Institute, based in Las Vegas. Among its holdings include a $3.5 billion stake in the ride-sharing app Uber.
A fund spokesman declined to comment Monday night in Riyadh.
Under the proposal, only investors who don’t want to remain with a private company would be paid and funding for the deal would come from Tesla stock, not debt. Musk wrote that he expects about one-third of shareholders to take an offer of $420 per share, making the buyouts worth roughly $23.6 billion. Presumably the wealth fund and perhaps other investors would put up the money to buy the shares and would be repaid in Tesla equity.
Musk’s blog was posted before the markets opened Monday, and there was little reaction from investors. Shares fell 60 cents to $354.89 in morning trading.
Musk wrote that at the July 31 meeting, the fund’s managing director “strongly expressed his support” for taking the electric car and solar panel maker private.

Far From Finished

But the deal appeared to be far from finished. Since the meeting, the men have continued discussions and the managing director has expressed support “subject to financial and other due diligence and their internal review process for obtaining approvals,” Musk wrote.
The wealth fund recently bought nearly 5 percent of Tesla’s shares.

“I understood from him that no other decision makers were needed and that they were eager to proceed.” — Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla, via blog
The fund’s chairman is Saudi Arabia’s assertive 32-year-old Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. He has used the fund as a vehicle to achieve economic goals of increasing employment in the kingdom, as well as for floating a possible public offering of the state oil giant Saudi Aramco, though that effort appears to have stalled.
Musk wrote that he made the Aug. 7 announcement because he had talked to large investors about his desire to take the company private. “It wouldn’t be right to share information about going private with just our largest investors without sharing the same information with all investors at the same time,” he wrote.
He wrote that in the blog and the Aug. 7 tweet that he was speaking for himself as a potential bidder for the company.
Musk also wrote that the Saudis are interested in the company because they want to diversify away from oil.
He also is in talks with other investors because he wants Tesla to continue to have a “broad investor base,” he wrote.
Tesla wouldn’t comment on a possible SEC investigation or why it took a week for details to be released in the blog.

Musk Taunts Investors

Late on Friday, Musk used Twitter to taunt investors who have bet against his company, despite the possible SEC investigation.
The tweets are aimed at “shorts,” or investors who borrow shares of Tesla and immediately sell them with the hope that Tesla’s share price will fall. That allows the shorts to buy back the stock at a lower price, return the shares to the lender, and pocket the difference.
Shorting a stock can temporarily lower its price, making short investors a frequent target of CEO wrath.
Musk’s attitude toward short sellers could be relevant, securities law experts have said. Musk’s tweet about taking Tesla private sent the stock soaring 11 percent Tuesday and cost short sellers roughly $1 billion, according to some estimates.
On Friday, two lawsuits were filed accusing Musk of seeking to harm short sellers by artificially running up the price of the company’s shares.
By taking Tesla private, Musk believes that the company will be able to sharpen its long-term focus of revolutionizing an automobile industry dominated by fuel-combustion vehicles without having to cater to investors’ fixation on how the business is faring each quarter.

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Fresno Police Searching for Missing 12-Year-Old Girl

DON'T MISS

Madera Community College Unveils New Multicultural and Veterans Center

DON'T MISS

Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way

DON'T MISS

Saturday’s Spring Fest to Showcase Free, Low-Cost Activities for Fresno Kids

DON'T MISS

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

DON'T MISS

Fresno Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Marijuana DUI Crash

DON'T MISS

Judge Says US Must Return Maryland Man Who Was Mistakenly Deported to El Salvador Prison

DON'T MISS

These Fresno First-Graders Are Topping Their Peers in Reading

DON'T MISS

Fresno Burial Ceremony to Honor Five Abandoned Babies Set for Saturday

DON'T MISS

Visalia Man Arrested for Soliciting Sex From Minor in Kingsburg

UP NEXT

The NBA’s Playoff Chase Enters Its Final Days. Here’s a Look at What’s Happening

UP NEXT

USC’s JuJu Watkins Named AP Player of the Year After Historic Sophomore Season

UP NEXT

Dodgers’ Freddie Freeman Lands on Injured List Following Fall in His Shower at Home

UP NEXT

How Trump’s Latest Tariffs Could Affect Your Wallet

UP NEXT

Curry Scores 37 Points and Warriors Beat Lakers in a Potential First-Round Playoff Preview

UP NEXT

Israeli Military Orders New Evacuation of Gaza City Neighborhoods

UP NEXT

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

UP NEXT

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

UP NEXT

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

Saturday’s Spring Fest to Showcase Free, Low-Cost Activities for Fresno Kids

1 hour ago

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

2 hours ago

Fresno Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Marijuana DUI Crash

2 hours ago

Judge Says US Must Return Maryland Man Who Was Mistakenly Deported to El Salvador Prison

2 hours ago

These Fresno First-Graders Are Topping Their Peers in Reading

3 hours ago

Fresno Burial Ceremony to Honor Five Abandoned Babies Set for Saturday

3 hours ago

Visalia Man Arrested for Soliciting Sex From Minor in Kingsburg

3 hours ago

Camalah Saleh Cruises to Win in Stormy Fresno State Student Elections

5 hours ago

Trump Goes Golfing While Stock Market Chunks

5 hours ago

Brandon Vang Wins Fresno City Council Special Election Outright

5 hours ago

Fresno Police Searching for Missing 12-Year-Old Girl

Authorities are seeking the public’s help in locating 12-year-old Unique Hernandez, who was last seen on Friday at approximately 5:35 ...

3 minutes ago

Fresno police are searching for Unique Hernandez, 12, last seen on Friday, April 4, 2025, near Inyo Street and Maple Avenue, wearing all black clothing and carrying a black backpack. (Fresno PD)
3 minutes ago

Fresno Police Searching for Missing 12-Year-Old Girl

15 minutes ago

Madera Community College Unveils New Multicultural and Veterans Center

17 minutes ago

Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way

1 hour ago

Saturday’s Spring Fest to Showcase Free, Low-Cost Activities for Fresno Kids

2 hours ago

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

2 hours ago

Fresno Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Marijuana DUI Crash

2 hours ago

Judge Says US Must Return Maryland Man Who Was Mistakenly Deported to El Salvador Prison

3 hours ago

These Fresno First-Graders Are Topping Their Peers in Reading

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend