Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Yemen's Shiite Rebels Welcome UN Call for Saudi Strike Probe
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 7 years ago on
August 11, 2018

Share

SANAA, Yemen — Yemen’s Shiite rebels on Friday backed a U.N. call for a probe into a Saudi-led coalition airstrike in the country’s north that killed dozens of people the previous day, including many children, in an attack that drew wide international criticism.
Senior Yemeni rebel leader Mohammed Ali al-Houthi said on Twitter that the rebels — known as Houthis — welcome the call and are willing to cooperate in an investigation of the strike in Saada province that hit a bus carrying civilians, many of them school children, in a busy market in Dahyan district.
The coalition said Friday it would investigate. The official Saudi Press Agency quoted an unnamed senior official as saying the coalition has a “firm commitment” to investigate incidents involving “claims of mistakes or violations of international law” and to hold those responsible accountable.
The coalition’s statement signaled a shift in its earlier stance when spokesman Col. Turki al-Malki defended the attack as a “legitimate military action” and blamed the Houthis for recruiting children and using them in the battlefields as cover.
The coalition, which has been at war with the Houthis for more than three years, said the attack on Saada was in response to a missile fired by the rebels into the kingdom’s south a day earlier. The coalition said it had intercepted and destroyed the missile but its fragments killed one person and wounded 11 others in Saudi’s southwestern border region of Jizan.

Previous Missile Attacks

The Iran-aligned Houthis regularly fire into Saudi Arabia and have previously targeted its capital, Riyadh, with ballistic missiles. They say their missile attacks on the kingdom are in retaliation for air raids on Yemen by the Western-backed coalition. On Friday, the rebel-run Al Masirah TV reported that the Houthis fired ballistic missiles targeting military bases in Saudi Arabia’s southern provinces of Asir and Jizan. The Saudi-owned Al Arabiya satellite news channel reported that the coalition had intercepted two missiles fired toward Jizan.
In a statement after Thursday’s airstrike, U.N. chief António Guterres urged Yemen’s warring parties to take “constant care to spare civilians” during military operations and also called for an “independent and prompt investigation.”
The United Nations said an exact death toll has yet to be confirmed but initial reports point to more than 60 casualties, with dozens severely wounded. Al-Masirah reported at least 51 people, including 40 children, were killed and 79 others, including 56 children, were wounded in the airstrike, citing the Yemeni Health Ministry in the capital, Sanaa, which is under rebel control.
It also said three children have gone missing since the airstrike.
The International Committee of the Red Cross said its team received the bodies of 29 children, all under 15 years old, and treated 48 wounded, 30 of them children.

Broadcasting Horrific Images

Following the strike, Al Masirah broadcast horrific images of lifeless bodies of children, covered in blood, and others who appeared severely wounded, lying on hospital stretchers crying and screaming in pain. The authenticity of the footage could not be independently verified.

“We take all credible accounts of civilian casualties very seriously.” — Heather Nauert, spokeswoman
On Friday, Ahmed al-Hamoud, who was traveling from Saada to Sanaa, said a somber mood prevailed over the province and that coalition planes could be seen flying over it from time to time.
The U.S. State Department called on the Saudi-led coalition “to conduct a thorough and transparent investigation into the incident,” spokeswoman Heather Nauert said.
Also, the U.N. special envoy for Yemen, Martin Griffiths, who has been pushing for peace efforts in the war-torn country, said he was “deeply shocked by the appalling tragedy that claimed so many innocent lives.”
Still, he called on the warring parties to “engage constructively” in the first round of consultations scheduled for Sept. 6 in Geneva. The United Nations children’s agency called the attack in Saada “unconscionable” and a “low point in the country’s brutal war.”
Impoverished Yemen has been embroiled in the war pitting the Saudi-led coalition against the Iran-aligned Houthis since March 2015. Civilians have been enmeshed over the years in the conflict which has killed over 10,000, crippled the country’s health system and pushed it to the brink of famine.
Yemen has become the world’s worst humanitarian crisis, with more than 22.2 million people in need of assistance.

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Madera Community College Unveils New Multicultural and Veterans Center

DON'T MISS

Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way

DON'T MISS

Saturday’s Spring Fest to Showcase Free, Low-Cost Activities for Fresno Kids

DON'T MISS

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

DON'T MISS

Fresno Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Marijuana DUI Crash

DON'T MISS

Judge Says US Must Return Maryland Man Who Was Mistakenly Deported to El Salvador Prison

DON'T MISS

These Fresno First-Graders Are Topping Their Peers in Reading

DON'T MISS

Fresno Burial Ceremony to Honor Five Abandoned Babies Set for Saturday

DON'T MISS

Visalia Man Arrested for Soliciting Sex From Minor in Kingsburg

DON'T MISS

Camalah Saleh Cruises to Win in Stormy Fresno State Student Elections

UP NEXT

The NBA’s Playoff Chase Enters Its Final Days. Here’s a Look at What’s Happening

UP NEXT

USC’s JuJu Watkins Named AP Player of the Year After Historic Sophomore Season

UP NEXT

Dodgers’ Freddie Freeman Lands on Injured List Following Fall in His Shower at Home

UP NEXT

How Trump’s Latest Tariffs Could Affect Your Wallet

UP NEXT

Curry Scores 37 Points and Warriors Beat Lakers in a Potential First-Round Playoff Preview

UP NEXT

Israeli Military Orders New Evacuation of Gaza City Neighborhoods

UP NEXT

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

UP NEXT

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

UP NEXT

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

1 hour ago

Fresno Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Marijuana DUI Crash

1 hour ago

Judge Says US Must Return Maryland Man Who Was Mistakenly Deported to El Salvador Prison

1 hour ago

These Fresno First-Graders Are Topping Their Peers in Reading

3 hours ago

Fresno Burial Ceremony to Honor Five Abandoned Babies Set for Saturday

3 hours ago

Visalia Man Arrested for Soliciting Sex From Minor in Kingsburg

3 hours ago

Camalah Saleh Cruises to Win in Stormy Fresno State Student Elections

5 hours ago

Trump Goes Golfing While Stock Market Chunks

5 hours ago

Brandon Vang Wins Fresno City Council Special Election Outright

5 hours ago

Trump Says He’s Giving TikTok Another 75 Days to Find a US Buyer

6 hours ago

Madera Community College Unveils New Multicultural and Veterans Center

Madera Community College unveiled its new Multicultural and Veterans Center with a ribbon-cutting ceremony Friday. The centers, located in t...

4 minutes ago

4 minutes ago

Madera Community College Unveils New Multicultural and Veterans Center

6 minutes ago

Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way

55 minutes ago

Saturday’s Spring Fest to Showcase Free, Low-Cost Activities for Fresno Kids

1 hour ago

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

1 hour ago

Fresno Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Marijuana DUI Crash

1 hour ago

Judge Says US Must Return Maryland Man Who Was Mistakenly Deported to El Salvador Prison

3 hours ago

These Fresno First-Graders Are Topping Their Peers in Reading

A public burial ceremony will be held Saturday, April 5, 2025, in Fresno to honor five abandoned infants, organized by Garden of Innocence – Fresno County. (Garden of Innocence)
3 hours ago

Fresno Burial Ceremony to Honor Five Abandoned Babies Set for Saturday

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend