Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Fresno Among Dioceses Forming Sexual Abuse Compensation Program
GV-Wire-1
By gvwire
Published 6 years ago on
May 14, 2019

Share

With the Catholic Church under siege all the way to the Vatican from clergy abuse victims and their advocates, six Catholic bishops in California announced Tuesday a compensation program for victims of sexual abuse as minors by diocesan priests, regardless of when the abuse occurred.

The six participating dioceses are Fresno, Los Angeles, Sacramento, San Diego, San Bernardino, and Orange. These dioceses comprise more than 10 million Catholics, or about 80% of the state’s Catholic population.

Compensation Program is Independent of Church Control

The new Independent Compensation Program for Victim-Survivors of Sexual Abuse of Minors by Priests is independent of church control. The administrators are Kenneth R. Feinberg and Camille S. Biros. They run similar abuse compensation programs for Catholic dioceses in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Colorado.

The program will be overseen by an independent oversight board. Announced members include former Gov. Gray Davis and Maria Contreras-Sweet. Contreras-Sweet is a former Administrator of the U.S. Small Business Administration.

Accepting Compensation Forfeits Right to Sue

According to the bishops, the new program is voluntary. Victim-survivors can elect to enter this program as an alternative to pursuing their claims against the church in court. But anyone who accepts compensation must surrender the right to sue in court regarding the claimed sexual abuse.

In a news release, the six dioceses said they will reach out to victims who have previously reported allegations of abuse to alert them to the new program. Others who may have been abused also are encouraged to come forward, the dioceses said.

The news release stated that Feinberg and Biros will have complete autonomy to determine eligibility and compensation. In addition, the dioceses won’t be allowed to appeal the administrators’ decisions.

It’s unclear how much abuse survivors could receive under the compensation program.

“Until we have a sense of how many victims come forward and what the range of damages is, we just don’t have dollar figures,” Amy Weiss, a spokeswoman for the attorneys, told The Sacramento Bee.

However, she said that the programs run by Feinberg and Biros in other states have paid out a total of $250 million.

SNAP Urges Victims to Use the Courts

The group Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, or SNAP, urged victims to use the justice system.

“We believe that the best way to expose wrongdoing and enforce accountability is for crimes to be made public and for punishment and compensation to be meted out by courts, not the institutions that allowed the wrongdoing to happen in the first place,” the group said in a statement.

September Start for Program

The program is likely to begin in September of this year, according to the dioceses.

“The new independent program is an important initiative in the California bishops’ continuing commitment to provide pastoral care and financial support to victim-survivors of sexual abuse of minors by priests,” the bishops said in Tuesday’s news release.

Catholic dioceses in California have paid an estimated $1.5 billion to thousands of sexual abuse victims over the past 20 years.

California Officials Take Hard Look at Church

The state Legislature is considering Senate Bill 360, which would require priests and other religious leaders to report child sexual abuse and close a loophole that allows them to keep confidential information learned during confessions.

Earlier this month, the California attorney general’s office said it is reviewing how all 12 Catholic dioceses in the state handled allegations of child sexual abuse.

Six of the dioceses – Fresno, Los Angeles, Orange County, Sacramento, San Francisco, and San Jose – must turn over their files to the state Department of Justice within 30 days.

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

DON'T MISS

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

DON'T MISS

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

DON'T MISS

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

DON'T MISS

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

DON'T MISS

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

UP NEXT

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

UP NEXT

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

UP NEXT

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Christopher Robert Sharkey

UP NEXT

Diehard Baseball Fans in Sacramento Welcome Athletics and Hope They Stay Awhile

UP NEXT

Flores Homers, Matos and Wade Also Go Deep to Help Giants Cap Sweep of Astros

UP NEXT

Fresno County Authorities Need Help Finding Family of Alejandro Solis

UP NEXT

Lilly Is a Young Terrier Who Loves Dogs, Cats, and People

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

7 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

7 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

7 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

8 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

10 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

10 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

10 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

11 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

12 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

12 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

GV Wire’s Edward Smith talks with KMPH Fox 26 “Great Day” anchor Christina Rodriguez about the possibility of CEMEX digging a 600-foot hole ...

6 hours ago

6 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
6 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

7 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

7 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

7 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

7 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
8 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

10 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend