Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Who Will Make the Cut for the Next Democratic Debates?
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 6 years ago on
July 1, 2019

Share

MIAMI — The largest presidential field in modern Democratic politics could quickly shrink as more than half of the contenders are in danger of failing to meet tougher requirements to participate in the fall round of debates.

Of the 20 candidates who qualified for the first round of debates in June and July, just six are sure to appear in the September-October round.
Short on support and money and bound by tough party rules, once soaring politicians may soon be seen as also-rans. They include Julian Castro, who is seeking to capitalize on his strong debate performance last week; Kirsten Gillibrand, one of her party’s most outspoken feminists; and Cory Booker, who rose to stardom as the energetic mayor of Newark, New Jersey.
A difficult period lies ahead as the party begins to sort through its expansive roster of candidates. The process will help Democrats zero in on someone to challenge President Donald Trump. But it is also forcing candidates to burn through cash to stay competitive and could result in a field that’s older, whiter and more male — an uncomfortable development for a party that says it prizes diversity.
“There are some campaigns that are in something of a Hail Mary mode,” said technology entrepreneur Andrew Yang, one of the lesser-known White House hopefuls who expressed confidence in his own chances.
Of the 20 candidates who qualified for the first round of debates in June and July, just six are sure to appear in the September-October round, when the Democratic National Committee requires participants to hit 2% in multiple polls and 130,000 individual donors. Though many campaigns are worried, DNC Chairman Tom Perez has resisted pressure to relax the requirements.
“We put our rules out for debate participation months earlier because we wanted to give people time,” Perez said in an interview. “We want to be fair to everyone.”

Second-Tier Candidates Forced to Dump Money Into Online Advertising

There’s still time for struggling candidates to recover. All 20 contenders who appeared on the debate stage last week will return for the late July debates. And, for now, only a fraction of voters are paying close attention to the unfolding Democratic contest.
But failing to qualify for the September-October debates could be lethal to any candidate, regardless of whether they formally drop out of the race.
Currently, the only locks for the fall debates are former Vice President Joe Biden, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, California Sen. Kamala Harris and South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg. Former Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke is likely to qualify, but after an underwhelming debate performance last week, even he is not guaranteed to make the polling threshold. Only polls taken between June 28 and Aug. 28 will count.
The governors in the contest and no less than nine current or former members of Congress have yet to qualify. The bubble candidates include Booker, the New Jersey senator and the only black man in the race; and Castro, the only White House hopeful of Hispanic heritage. Four of the six female contenders — including Sens. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota and Gillibrand of New York — have yet to meet the donor or polling thresholds.
The do-or-die nature of making the debates has forced many second-tier candidates to dump money into online advertising at an unprecedented rate to generate new donors. Some strategists concede campaigns are spending upward of $40 on average for every email address of a prospective small-dollar donor, an unsustainable ratio that has forced cutbacks on hiring, candidate travel and organizing support on the ground in key states.
The dynamic has some larger donors worried that their money is being used to build out the small-donor network instead of a traditional campaign operation.
“No one wants to give anyone money to buy donors,” said Robert Wolf, a former economic adviser to Obama.

Photo of Çory Booker
Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Cory Booker takes a selfie with a supporter at the end of a debate Thursday. (AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee)

Many Online Ads Focused on Qualifying for Debates

The donor requirements have forced candidates to prioritize spending on online ads targeting areas with a large number of possible donors, rather than communicating with potential supporters in the states that matter most in the primary. The overwhelming majority of Facebook ads target Democratic fundraising hubs or the candidates’ home states, where they are best known. California tops the list, followed by New York, Texas, Florida and Washington state.
And the message behind many online ads has been focused on qualifying for debates — not “persuasion” ads that highlight Democrats’ plans or Trump’s weaknesses.
Online ads aimed at boosting the number of small-dollar donors dominated digital spending between the end of March and late June, according to an Associated Press analysis of fundraising records and online ad data compiled by the Democratic digital firm Bully Pulpit Interactive. Candidates spent more money — about $2.8 million — during that time on debate-themed ads than on any other subject, including health care, climate change, the economy and Trump, the data shows.
For some of the lesser-known candidates, the spending soaked up a major chunk of their early fundraising haul.
The $416,000 that Castro spent on debate-themed social media and internet ads amounted to about 37% of what he raised during the year’s first quarter. Washington Gov. Jay Inslee spent about 17% of the money he’s reported raising since getting in the race, according to the AP’s analysis.

Expressing Growing Alarm to Supporters

The candidates on the edge of being cut are expressing growing alarm to their supporters.

“The pool of people who have discretionary income to be donors is overwhelmingly, if not disproportionately, white.” Steve Phillips, an African American donor, activist and civil rights lawyer
Booker noted in a weekend fundraising message that he’s more than 30,000 donors away from the threshold. His campaign insists he will hit polling and fundraising marks, but his allies are concerned by what they see as an inherent bias among online donors who traditionally skew white.
Steve Phillips, an African American donor, activist and civil rights lawyer, said the fundraising requirements are unfair to black voters.
“The pool of people who have discretionary income to be donors is overwhelmingly, if not disproportionately, white,” said Phillips, whose Dream United super PAC supports Booker.
Since the debate, Castro’s campaign peppered social media with donation requests and sold T-shirts featuring one of his closing lines: “Adios Trump.” In the two days immediately after the debate, they blasted out at least 10 emails asking for money to help qualify for the next round.
His campaign said it had seen a “four-digit percentage spike” in fundraising on Wednesday night and Castro himself said it was “safe to say … we probably had our best fundraising night of the campaign.”
Notably, his campaign did not say he had qualified for the fall debates.

DON'T MISS

Senate Rebukes Trump’s Tariffs as Some Republicans Vote to Halt Taxes on Canadian Imports

DON'T MISS

Supreme Court Sides With the FDA in Its Dispute Over Sweet-Flavored Vaping Products

DON'T MISS

Trump Announces Sweeping New Tariffs to Promote US Manufacturing, Risking Inflation and Trade Wars

DON'T MISS

Fresno Firefighters Save Dog From Canal and Now She’s Ready for Adoption

DON'T MISS

Big Brands Spend Just Enough on X to Avoid Musk’s ‘Naughty List’

DON'T MISS

Judge Dismisses Corruption Case Against New York City Mayor Eric Adams

DON'T MISS

State Center Trustees Render Split Decision on Future of PLAs

DON'T MISS

California’s Schools Chief Has a $200,000 Salary and a Side Gig

DON'T MISS

Why Project Labor Agreements Are Good for Our Schools and Students: Opinion

DON'T MISS

Trump Proposes Tax Deduction for Auto Loan Interest on US-Made Cars

UP NEXT

Western US Sees Sharp Increase in Extreme Weather Impact

UP NEXT

7-Year-Old Girl Was Killed by a Falling Boulder at a Lake Tahoe Ski Resort

UP NEXT

Xavier Becerra Enters 2026 California Governor’s Race

UP NEXT

Elon Musk Reclaims Top Spot on Forbes’ Billionaires List

UP NEXT

Lakers Hold Off Rockets With 6 3-Pointers Apiece From Dorian Finney-Smith, Gabe Vincent

UP NEXT

Athletics Bat Boy Stewart Thalblum Takes Down Drone in Left Field

UP NEXT

NFL Postpones Tush Push Decision but Passes Other Rule Changes, AP Source Says

UP NEXT

March Madness: It’s South Carolina vs. Texas and UCLA vs. UConn in Women’s Final Four

UP NEXT

What to Watch in Tuesday’s Big Elections in Wisconsin and Florida

UP NEXT

Major Layoffs Begin at Health Agencies That Track Disease and Regulate Food

Fresno Firefighters Save Dog From Canal and Now She’s Ready for Adoption

12 hours ago

Big Brands Spend Just Enough on X to Avoid Musk’s ‘Naughty List’

12 hours ago

Judge Dismisses Corruption Case Against New York City Mayor Eric Adams

12 hours ago

State Center Trustees Render Split Decision on Future of PLAs

12 hours ago

California’s Schools Chief Has a $200,000 Salary and a Side Gig

13 hours ago

Why Project Labor Agreements Are Good for Our Schools and Students: Opinion

13 hours ago

Trump Proposes Tax Deduction for Auto Loan Interest on US-Made Cars

14 hours ago

Western US Sees Sharp Increase in Extreme Weather Impact

14 hours ago

Amazon Said to Make a Bid to Buy TikTok in the US

14 hours ago

Fresno Man Found Dead, Coroner’s Office Seeks Help Finding Family

14 hours ago

Senate Rebukes Trump’s Tariffs as Some Republicans Vote to Halt Taxes on Canadian Imports

WASHINGTON — The Senate passed a resolution Wednesday night that would thwart President Donald Trump’s ability to impose tariffs on Canada, ...

7 hours ago

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., center, is joined from left by Sen. Tim Kaine, D-Va., Sen. Peter Welch, D-Vt., and Sen. Angela Alsobrooks, D-Md., as they speak to reporters about President Donald Trump's tariffs on foreign countries, at the Capitol, in Washington, Wednesday, April 2, 2025. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)
7 hours ago

Senate Rebukes Trump’s Tariffs as Some Republicans Vote to Halt Taxes on Canadian Imports

11 hours ago

Supreme Court Sides With the FDA in Its Dispute Over Sweet-Flavored Vaping Products

11 hours ago

Trump Announces Sweeping New Tariffs to Promote US Manufacturing, Risking Inflation and Trade Wars

A young Labrador mix rescued from a Fresno canal on Sunday, March 2, 2025, is thriving in a foster home after overcoming fear and trauma. (Instagram/Fresno Animal Center)
12 hours ago

Fresno Firefighters Save Dog From Canal and Now She’s Ready for Adoption

12 hours ago

Big Brands Spend Just Enough on X to Avoid Musk’s ‘Naughty List’

12 hours ago

Judge Dismisses Corruption Case Against New York City Mayor Eric Adams

12 hours ago

State Center Trustees Render Split Decision on Future of PLAs

13 hours ago

California’s Schools Chief Has a $200,000 Salary and a Side Gig

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend