Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
USC Keeps Helton After 5-7 Season, But Changes Promised
By admin
Published 6 years ago on
November 26, 2018

Share

LOS ANGELES — Although Clay Helton has lost the support of a sizable portion of Southern California’s fan base, athletic director Lynn Swann still believes in him.

“I am a strong advocate of consistency within a program, sticking by a leader, supporting them and helping them and their team improve. One season does not define a coach.”athletic director Lynn Swann

Helton will remain USC’s head coach despite presiding over the Trojans’ first losing season since 2000, Swann announced Sunday.

Swann secured his coach’s future one day after the Trojans finished 5-7 with a narrow loss to Notre Dame. Despite widespread dissatisfaction with Helton among USC’s boosters and fans, Swann is staying with the coach who got a contract extension through 2023 from Swann just nine months ago.

“I am a strong advocate of consistency within a program, sticking by a leader, supporting them and helping them and their team improve,” Swann said in a statement. “One season does not define a coach.”

Helton is 32-17 in his first head coaching job, which began midway through the 2015 season. His Trojans won the Rose Bowl two years ago to cap a nine-game winning streak, and they won the Pac-12 title last season.

But USC lost five of its final six games this season, capped by back-to-back losses to archrivals UCLA and Notre Dame. Helton survived it on the strength of his previous success, his clean program at the scandal-plagued school and Swann’s desire for continuity.

Helton Brought Stability and Professionalism

“We see top programs across the country have down years and the fans want to change coaches,” Swann said. “In fact, it happened a few years ago with (Saturday’s) opponent, but that administration remained committed to their head coach, who made some key changes, worked hard to fix things and got his team to improve markedly. That will happen here at USC.”

Swann’s decision extends the unlikely reign of the genial longtime assistant coach atop the West Coast’s most storied college football program. Helton was the Trojans’ offensive coordinator when he was abruptly promoted to head coach after Steve Sarkisian was fired following a series of alcohol-related misbehaviors.

Helton immediately brought stability and professionalism to a program that had been repeatedly rocked by turmoil ever since Pete Carroll’s departure six years earlier. His 21 victories in his first two seasons were the most by a coach in USC history.

Yet Helton has never won over a significant portion of USC’s fans, who feel his two years of success rested on the shoulders of the Trojans’ formidable raw talent base and the brilliance of quarterback Sam Darnold. The Trojans’ second-half collapse without Darnold this season seemed to confirm those beliefs for many boosters, but Swann chose stability over another round of tumult for his department’s marquee program.

Fire Helton Banner Flies Over the Coliseum

“We acknowledge and understand our deficiencies in areas that include culture, discipline, schemes, personnel and staff,” Swann said. “We agree that changes need to be made, and they will. ”

“We acknowledge and understand our deficiencies in areas that include culture, discipline, schemes, personnel and staff. We agree that changes need to be made, and they will. “ — athletic director Lynn Swann

The Trojans’ slide culminated in a 24-17 loss to the No. 3 Fighting Irish at the Coliseum on Saturday night in their annual intersectional rivalry game. USC largely played well for Helton in season finale, but failed to gain bowl eligibility — an unthinkable failure at the Pac-12’s glamour school, which has had only four losing seasons since 1961.

A banner advocating for Helton’s firing was flown over the Coliseum before the Trojans faced Notre Dame. Helton was booed while he left the Coliseum field after the loss, but he responded with the school’s signature “Fight On” gesture.

After the game, Helton said he expected to return for another season.

“We understand that championships are what is expected and deserved at USC,” Helton said Sunday. “I have met with Mr. Swann and discussed changes and improvements that will be made moving forward. Our staff, our players and I will work tirelessly this offseason to produce a disciplined football team that executes at a championship level. I truly believe that with the continued development of the talent we have on this team, the best is yet to be. Our number one goal is to win championships and we will not be satisfied with anything less.”

Swann Repeatedly Backed Helton Publicly

Swann repeatedly backed Helton publicly during the season despite the unusual nature of their partnership. Swann inherited Helton when he took over his alma mater’s athletic department in July 2016, but the new AD still gave a lucrative extension to Helton last February.

The Trojans had won their first 19 home games during Helton’s tenure before losing their final three in a row before dwindling crowds at the Coliseum, which is undergoing an expensive makeover this year to entice donors and fans to buy season tickets and suites.

Helton’s Trojans lost eminently winnable home games against Arizona State and California over the past five weeks before a 34-27 loss last weekend to a rebuilding two-win UCLA team in Los Angeles’ annual crosstown showdown.

USC won’t play in a bowl game during a season without an NCAA postseason ban for the first time since 2000 — the final season of coach Paul Hackett’s tenure before Carroll took over.

Helton Transformed the Program’s Culture

Helton, brought to USC by Lane Kiffin as quarterbacks coach in 2010, first led USC to a win in the Las Vegas Bowl in late 2013 during a one-game stint after interim head coach Ed Orgeron left the program when Sarkisian was hired as Kiffin’s full-time replacement — a fairly typical development in this school’s tumultuous post-Carroll era.

Helton transformed the program’s culture by emphasizing a quaint devotion to faith, family and football.

But results matter most at a program of USC’s stature, and Helton is 12-13 in games with any starting quarterback other than Darnold, who took over in the fourth game of the 2016 season.

Helton took away play-calling responsibility from offensive coordinator Tee Martin during the season, and an overhaul of the offensive coaching staff seems necessary with these Trojans mired in 83rd in the FBS in total offense, 91st in scoring and 108th in rushing offense. New quarterback J.T. Daniels had a fairly unimpressive freshman season despite extensive attention from Helton, a former quarterbacks coach.

Major improvement could be tough next year no matter who’s calling the plays. USC opens against Mountain West power Fresno State, and its conference schedule includes Washington and Oregon after the Trojans missed both power programs this season.

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

DON'T MISS

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

DON'T MISS

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

DON'T MISS

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

DON'T MISS

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

DON'T MISS

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Carbon Monoxide Was Cause of Death of Brett Gardner’s Teen Son, Officials Confirm

UP NEXT

Bettors Back Duke Men and UConn Women for National Championships

UP NEXT

Flores Homers, Matos and Wade Also Go Deep to Help Giants Cap Sweep of Astros

UP NEXT

After Briefly Disappearing, TikTok Went Back to Normal. Or Did It?

UP NEXT

Ohtani’s Walk-off Homer Boosts Dodgers to 8-0 With Another Comeback Win

UP NEXT

Here’s How the New NFL Rules on Kickoffs and Overtime Will Work

UP NEXT

Webb Pitches 7 Strong Innings as Giants Beat Astros

UP NEXT

Curry Drops 52 as Warriors Beat Grizzlies, Move into Fifth in West

UP NEXT

Dodgers Extend Perfect Start Behind May and Betts’ Heroics

UP NEXT

Lakers Hold Off Rockets With 6 3-Pointers Apiece From Dorian Finney-Smith, Gabe Vincent

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

8 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

8 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

8 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

9 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

11 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

11 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

11 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

11 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

12 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

13 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

GV Wire’s Edward Smith talks with KMPH Fox 26 “Great Day” anchor Christina Rodriguez about the possibility of CEMEX digging a 600-foot hole ...

6 hours ago

6 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
7 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

7 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

8 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

8 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

8 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
9 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

11 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend