Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Venus Williams Receives US Open Wildcard
Reuters logo
By Reuters
Published 43 minutes ago on
August 18, 2026

Aug 17, 2026; Mason, OH, USA; Venus Williams of the United States returns a shot against Marta Kostyuk of Ukraine and Peyton Stearns of the United States in their doubles match during the Cincinnati Open at Lindner Family Tennis Center. Mandatory Credit: Aaron Doster-Imagn Images

Share

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Two-time U.S. Open singles champion Venus Williams has received a wildcard entry into this year’s tournament, organisers said on Tuesday.

Seven-time Grand Slam winner Williams, 46, was eliminated in the first round at Flushing Meadows last year after falling to Czech Karolina Muchova.

She and sister Serena also returned to doubles action for the first time since 2022 on Monday, suffering an opening round defeat at the Cincinnati Open.

Sloane Stephens, the 2017 U.S. Open winner, was also among those granted a wildcard on Monday. The 33-year-old is trying to make a comeback after a foot injury derailed her 2025 season.

Organizers said one women’s singles wildcard spot is still to be announced.

On the men’s side, Frenchman Gael Monfils was among those who got a wildcard into the main draw earlier this month. The former world number six previously announced that he would retire at the end of the season.

Monfils and spouse Elina Svitolina were also given wildcards into the U.S. Open mixed doubles tournament on Monday.

(Reporting by Nicole Fernandes in TorontoEditing by Christian Radnedge)

RELATED TOPICS:

Send this to a friend