Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
US Official Says Closing El Paso Airport Was Not Mistake, Will Brief Congress
Reuters logo
By Reuters
Published 1 hour ago on
February 20, 2026

The entrance to the TSA security area after the abrupt closing and reopening of El Paso International Airport in El Paso, Texas, Feb. 11, 2026. (Paul Ratje/ The New York Times)

Share

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

U.S. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy said Friday it was not a mistake to close the airport in El Paso, Texas last week and said next week the department would brief lawmakers who have raised significant concerns about the decision.

The Federal Aviation Administration initially said it was closing the El Paso airport for 10 days before reversing course within hours.

Reuters and other outlets reported the FAA closed the airspace because of concerns about a military laser-based anti-drone system. Asked if his social media post about the incident was wrong, Duffy said: “I use the information that I get.”

(Reporting by David Shepardson)

RELATED TOPICS:

Search

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Send this to a friend