Supreme Court Justice Alito reveals conversation with Trump, sparking debate on judicial protocol. (AP File)

- Justice Alito spoke with Trump about recommending a former law clerk for a job in the upcoming administration.
- The conversation did not include discussion of the emergency motion or any other court matters, Alito stated.
- Trump's attorneys have asked the Supreme Court to delay his sentencing in the New York hush-money case.
Share
WASHINGTON — Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito spoke with President-elect Donald Trump about a former law clerk the day before Trump went to the high court in a push to delay the sentencing in his New York hush-money case, the justice said Wednesday.
Alito said he took the call Tuesday afternoon from Trump at the request of his former law clerk, William Levi, to recommend him for a job in the upcoming administration. The two did not discuss the upcoming emergency motion, or any other court matters, Alito said.
No Discussion of Court Matters
“I was not even aware at the time of our conversation that such an application would be filed,” he said in the statement. They also did not discuss any other matters that could come before the court in the future, Alito said. Justices often recommend former clerks in high demand for top government and law firm jobs, but a direct call with a president appears unusual.
Gabe Roth, executive director of the group Fix the Court, said the call was “an unmistakable breach of protocol.”
“No person, no matter who they are, should engage in out-of-court communication with a judge or justice who’s considering that person’s case,” he said in a statement.
A spokesman for Trump did not immediately return a message seeking comment.
Related Story: Gov. Newsom’s Office Slams Trump’s Water and Wildfire Claims as ...
Trump’s Request to Delay Sentencing
Trump’s attorneys asked the Supreme Court to delay his sentencing in New York, arguing it could disrupt the presidential transition and would violate the high court’s previous ruling on immunity for former presidents in another case against Trump.
Alito faced calls to recuse himself from two major cases related to Trump last year after revelations that flags associated with Trump supporters who stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021 were previously seen flying outside of his homes. Alito said his wife had flown the flags and rejected the calls to step aside.
The Tuesday call was first reported by ABC News.
RELATED TOPICS:
Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike
2 hours ago
President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point
3 hours ago
Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal
3 hours ago
As Dem Candidates for Governor Increase, They Wait for Harris to Decide
3 hours ago
Protests Planned All Over the World Aimed at Donald Trump and Elon Musk
4 hours ago
Average US Rate on a 30-Year Mortgage Dips to 6.64% for the Second Drop in 2 Weeks
4 hours ago
Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Christopher Robert Sharkey
4 hours ago
Fresno Man Arrested in Armed Robbery After Search Warrant Executed
4 hours ago
Diehard Baseball Fans in Sacramento Welcome Athletics and Hope They Stay Awhile
5 hours ago
First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close
1 hour ago
Categories

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal
