Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
US Closes Investigation Into E. Coli Outbreak Linked to Onions in McDonald's Quarter Pounders
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 4 months ago on
December 3, 2024

FDA closes E. coli investigation linked to McDonald's Quarter Pounders, determining no ongoing safety risk. (AP File)

Share

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

The U.S. government said Tuesday it has closed its investigation into an E. coli outbreak tied to McDonald’s Quarter Pounder hamburgers after determining there is no longer a safety risk.

The outbreak, which was first reported Oct. 22, sickened at least 104 people in 14 states, including 34 who were hospitalized, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. One person in Colorado died and four people developed a potentially life-threatening kidney disease complication.

FDA Links Outbreak to Yellow Onions

The FDA, which conducted the investigation along with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and state health departments, linked the outbreak to yellow onions distributed by California-based Taylor Farms and served raw on Quarter Pounders at McDonald’s restaurants in Colorado, Kansas, Wyoming and other states.

There have been no new cases reported since Oct. 21, when McDonald’s pulled the Quarter Pounder off its menu in the affected states, the CDC said Tuesday. Taylor Farms initiated a voluntary recall of yellow onions on Oct. 22.

Federal and state health officials in Colorado didn’t find the strain of E. coli that caused the illnesses in onions it tested or in any samples from the environment. But they concluded that evidence showed that recalled yellow onions were the likely source of the outbreak.

“McDonald’s is no longer serving recalled onions and there does not appear to be a continued food safety concern related to this outbreak,” the FDA said Tuesday in a statement.

McDonald’s Takes Action and Faces Financial Impact

McDonald’s briefly pulled Quarter Pounders from 3,000 U.S. stores as a result of the outbreak, then narrowed that to 900 stores once testing had pinpointed onions — and not hamburger patties — as the likely source of E. coli. The company found an alternate supplier and resumed selling Quarter Pounders with slivered onions at all U.S. stores last month.

But the outbreak has hurt demand. In mid-November, McDonald’s said it planned to spend $100 million to bring customers back to stores, including $65 million that will go directly to the hardest-hit franchisees.

Chicago-based McDonald’s wouldn’t say Tuesday whether its sales have returned to normal levels in the affected regions. But it thanked U.S. regulators for their quick action and said it remains confident in its rigorous food-safety standards.

McDonald’s last major food-safety issue happened in 2018, when more than 500 people contracted an intestinal illness after eating its salads.

Legal Action and Personal Impact

McDonald’s also declined to comment Tuesday on legal action against the company as a result of the E. coli outbreak.

Nicole and Richard West of Townsend, Montana, are suing McDonald’s after their 11-month-old daughter, Logan, was hospitalized in October with E. coli poisoning. The toddler ate a few bites of her father’s Quarter Pounder hamburger with onions during a family road trip on Oct. 2.

She fell ill a few days later with severe vomiting and diarrhea. Her mother rushed her to the hospital, where she was found to be infected with E. coli O157:H7, which can cause life-threatening illness, particularly in young children.

Richard West also fell ill but didn’t seek medical attention because he was at home caring for the family’s other children. He lost more than two weeks of work as a truck driver because of the outbreak and the family faces a barrage of medical expenses.

Nicole West said Tuesday that Logan’s health has improved but the outbreak has shaken the family’s confidence in the fast-food giant.

“With kids, when you want to go out to eat, they want to go to McDonald’s. They want to get a Happy Meal,” West said. “But we just don’t trust it anymore.”

RELATED TOPICS:

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

DON'T MISS

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

DON'T MISS

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

DON'T MISS

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

DON'T MISS

As Dem Candidates for Governor Increase, They Wait for Harris to Decide

DON'T MISS

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

DON'T MISS

Protests Planned All Over the World Aimed at Donald Trump and Elon Musk

DON'T MISS

Average US Rate on a 30-Year Mortgage Dips to 6.64% for the Second Drop in 2 Weeks

DON'T MISS

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Christopher Robert Sharkey

DON'T MISS

Fresno Man Arrested in Armed Robbery After Search Warrant Executed

UP NEXT

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

UP NEXT

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

UP NEXT

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

UP NEXT

Protests Planned All Over the World Aimed at Donald Trump and Elon Musk

UP NEXT

Average US Rate on a 30-Year Mortgage Dips to 6.64% for the Second Drop in 2 Weeks

UP NEXT

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Christopher Robert Sharkey

UP NEXT

Fresno Man Arrested in Armed Robbery After Search Warrant Executed

UP NEXT

Diehard Baseball Fans in Sacramento Welcome Athletics and Hope They Stay Awhile

UP NEXT

Carbon Monoxide Was Cause of Death of Brett Gardner’s Teen Son, Officials Confirm

UP NEXT

Bettors Back Duke Men and UConn Women for National Championships

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

1 hour ago

As Dem Candidates for Governor Increase, They Wait for Harris to Decide

2 hours ago

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

2 hours ago

Protests Planned All Over the World Aimed at Donald Trump and Elon Musk

2 hours ago

Average US Rate on a 30-Year Mortgage Dips to 6.64% for the Second Drop in 2 Weeks

2 hours ago

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Christopher Robert Sharkey

2 hours ago

Fresno Man Arrested in Armed Robbery After Search Warrant Executed

2 hours ago

Diehard Baseball Fans in Sacramento Welcome Athletics and Hope They Stay Awhile

3 hours ago

Carbon Monoxide Was Cause of Death of Brett Gardner’s Teen Son, Officials Confirm

4 hours ago

Bettors Back Duke Men and UConn Women for National Championships

4 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

Carlie Hall, a candidate for Fresno State student body president, did not realize receiving an endorsement from state Assemblymember David T...

8 minutes ago

8 minutes ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth attends a joint news conference with Japan's Defense Minister Gen Nakatani at the Ministry of Defense in Tokyo Sunday, March 30, 2025. (Kiyoshi Ota/Pool Photo via AP)
15 minutes ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

President Donald Trump holds a signed executive order during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden of the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Evan Vucci)
1 hour ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

1 hour ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

2 hours ago

As Dem Candidates for Governor Increase, They Wait for Harris to Decide

2 hours ago

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

On April 5th, the "Hands Off!" group will hold an international protest, including a Fresno demonstration at Fashion Fair Mall, urging Donald Trump and Elon Musk to stop their influence over vital social programs and rights. (Hands Off!)
2 hours ago

Protests Planned All Over the World Aimed at Donald Trump and Elon Musk

A for sale sign stands outside a home on the market in the Alamo Placita neighborhood Tuesday, Aug. 27, 2024, in central Denver. (AP File)
2 hours ago

Average US Rate on a 30-Year Mortgage Dips to 6.64% for the Second Drop in 2 Weeks

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend