Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

4 hours ago

US Air Force will Offer Military Funeral Honors to Slain Capitol Rioter

5 hours ago

US Republican Senator Joni Ernst Will Not Run for Re-Election, CBS News Reports

6 hours ago

Wall Street Falls as Dell, Nvidia Drive Tech Losses

7 hours ago

US Denies Visas to Palestinian Officials Ahead of UN General Assembly

8 hours ago

Minneapolis Children Revealed Courage, Absorbed Fear During Church Shooting

1 day ago

Ford Recalls Nearly 500,000 Vehicles Over Brake Fluid Leak

1 day ago

Fresno-Bound Passenger Says Delta Attendant Slapped Him, Seeks $20M

1 day ago
Should Sex Abuse Evidence Set the Menendez Brothers Free? A Judge Will Decide
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 9 months ago on
November 25, 2024

This combination of two booking photos provided by the California Department of Corrections shows Erik Menendez, left, and Lyle Menendez. (California Dept. of Corrections via AP)

Share

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

LOS ANGELES — A judge will decide Monday whether new evidence warrants a re-examination of the convictions of Erik and Lyle Menendez in the shotgun murders of their parents in their Beverly Hills home more than 30 years ago.

The brothers were found guilty of murdering Jose and Kitty Menendez in 1989 and sentenced to life in prison without parole. While their defense attorneys argued at trial that they had been sexually abused by their father, prosecutors denied that and accused them of killing their parents for money. In the years that followed, they repeatedly appealed their convictions without success.

Now, at 53 and 56, Erik and Lyle Menendez are making a new bid for freedom. Their lawyers filed a habeas corpus petition — a request for a court to examine whether someone is being lawfully detained — in May 2023, asking a judge to consider new evidence of their father’s sexual abuse. “Newly discovered evidence directly supports the defense presented at trial,” the petition said.

The recent releases of the Netflix drama “ Monsters: Lyle and Erik Menendez Story ” and the documentary “The Menendez Brothers” in 2024 brought renewed public attention to their plight. Members of the public will be given the opportunity to win a seat in the courtroom to catch a glimpse of the brothers, who will be appearing virtually.

Prosecutors recommended resentencing for the brothers last month, saying they have worked on redemption and rehabilitation and demonstrated good behavior inside prison.

Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascón held a news conference less than two weeks before Election Day, asking for new sentences of 50 years to life. This could make them immediately eligible for parole because they were less than 26 years old when they killed their parents.

Judge to Consider Resentencing Request

Superior Court Judge Michael Jesic is scheduled to consider the resentencing request on Dec. 11, but on Monday, he’ll first address the abuse evidence raised in the habeas petition. Immediate freedom is one possible result; the judge also might weigh in on the merits of the evidence. And if the brothers don’t get relief in court, they can hope California’s governor will grant them clemency.

The new evidence includes a letter Erik Menendez wrote in 1988 to his uncle Andy Cano, describing the sexual abuse he had endured from his father. The brothers asked their lawyers about it after it was mentioned in a 2015 Barbara Walters television special. The lawyers hadn’t known of the letter and realized it had not been introduced at their trials, making it effectively new evidence that they say corroborates allegations that Erik was sexually abused by his father.

More new evidence emerged when Roy Rossello, a former member of the Latin pop group Menudo, recently came forward saying he had been drugged and raped by Jose Menendez, the boys’ father, when he was a teen in the 1980s. Menudo was signed under RCA Records, where Jose Menendez was chief operating officer.

Rossello spoke about his abuse in the Peacock docuseries “Menendez + Menudo: Boys Betrayed,” and provided a signed declaration to the brothers’ lawyers.

Had these two pieces of evidence been available during the brothers’ trial, prosecutors would not have been able to argue that there was no corroboration of sexual abuse, or that their father Jose Menendez was not the “kind of man that would” abuse children, the petition argues.

While clemency might be another pathway to freedom for the brothers, California Gov. Gavin Newsom said last week that he won’t decide until incoming Los Angeles district attorney Nathan Hochman reviews the case. Hochman, a Republican-turned-Independent who unseated the progressive Gascón on Dec. 2, has said he wants to carefully look at the evidence before making any decisions.

RELATED TOPICS:

DON'T MISS

What Are Fresno Real Estate Experts Predicting for 2025 and Beyond?

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

DON'T MISS

Fresno Area Schools Prep for Football With Stout Security Measures

DON'T MISS

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

DON'T MISS

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

DON'T MISS

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

DON'T MISS

Fresno Shelter Helps Homeless Recover from Hospital Stays. It’s Also a ‘Good Neighbor’

DON'T MISS

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

DON'T MISS

Judge Blocks Enforcement of Texas Law Restricting DEI and ESG Advice

DON'T MISS

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

DON'T MISS

Trump Cancels $4.9 Billion in Foreign Aid, Escalating Spending Fight with Congress

UP NEXT

Fresno Area Schools Prep for Football With Stout Security Measures

UP NEXT

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

UP NEXT

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

UP NEXT

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

UP NEXT

Fresno Shelter Helps Homeless Recover from Hospital Stays. It’s Also a ‘Good Neighbor’

UP NEXT

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

UP NEXT

Fresno Labor Day Traffic Alert for Motorists Using Maroa Avenue

UP NEXT

Fresno State Coordinators Outline Bulldog Bounceback for Georgia Southern

UP NEXT

Gentle Sweet Sasha Is Guaranteed to Steal Your Heart

UP NEXT

Clovis Police to Increase DUI Patrols on Labor Day Weekend

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

51 minutes ago

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

56 minutes ago

Fresno Shelter Helps Homeless Recover from Hospital Stays. It’s Also a ‘Good Neighbor’

2 hours ago

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

2 hours ago

Judge Blocks Enforcement of Texas Law Restricting DEI and ESG Advice

2 hours ago

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

4 hours ago

Trump Cancels $4.9 Billion in Foreign Aid, Escalating Spending Fight with Congress

4 hours ago

U.S. News Releases Best High School Rankings. How Did Fresno Schools Do?

4 hours ago

Trump Ends Security Protection for Former Vice President Harris

4 hours ago

Fresno Labor Day Traffic Alert for Motorists Using Maroa Avenue

4 hours ago

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

August 29, 2025 Most Wanted Person of the Day Suspect Name: Curtis Wayne Recek Suspects Date of Birth: April 22, 1966 Physical Description: ...

21 minutes ago

Curtis Wayne Recek is Valley Crime Stoppers' Most Wanted Person of the Day for August 29, 2025. (Valley Crimes Stoppers)
21 minutes ago

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

37 minutes ago

Fresno Area Schools Prep for Football With Stout Security Measures

Fire at Yosemite Falls Cafe on Friday, Aug. 29, 2025. (Fresno FD)
43 minutes ago

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

The seal of the U.S. Justice Department is seen on the podium in the Department's headquarters briefing room before a news conference with the Attorney General in Washington, January 24, 2023. (Reuters File)
51 minutes ago

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

Abdulrahman Hisham, 20, an Egyptian social media content creator, looks at his page with several videos, amid a wave of cases prompting Egypt to consider tighter regulations on social media platforms at his residence in n Cairo, Egypt August, 20, 2025. REUTERS/Amr Abdallah Dalsh
56 minutes ago

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

2 hours ago

Fresno Shelter Helps Homeless Recover from Hospital Stays. It’s Also a ‘Good Neighbor’

A Dutch Bros Coffee employee takes customers drink orders at cars lined up at a drive-thru.
2 hours ago

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

2 hours ago

Judge Blocks Enforcement of Texas Law Restricting DEI and ESG Advice

Search

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Send this to a friend