Gov. Newsom expresses support for Musk in SpaceX launch controversy, while criticizing his political donations to Trump. (Shutterstock)
Share
Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
|
Gov. Gavin Newsom expressed support for Elon Musk following the California Coastal Commission’s rejection of a SpaceX launch expansion plan.
In an interview with POLITICO, Newsom stated, “I’m with Elon” on this issue, despite criticizing Musk’s political donations to former President Trump.
The commission’s 6-4 vote against the Air Force’s proposal centered on environmental concerns, but discussions during the meeting veered into Musk’s political rhetoric and labor practices. Some commissioners, including Gretchen Newsom (unrelated to the governor), voiced strong opposition to Musk’s conduct.
Gov. Newsom emphasized that his appointees had supported the permit and that his administration had worked to reach a compromise with the Defense Department. “We worked with Space Force. We worked with the base commander there in good faith,” he said.
The governor expressed disappointment with the commission’s decision, suggesting it went beyond the scope of the proposal. “They certainly could have said, ‘We are just not comfortable with (the proposal) right now.’ But that wasn’t what they said,” Newsom remarked.
Related Story: Newsom Signs Law Aimed at Preventing CA Gas Price Spikes
Before the meeting, the Air Force had agreed to meet seven conditions set by the commission, including reducing sonic booms and increasing wildlife monitoring. Newsom’s team had been working behind the scenes to address concerns raised by coastal staff.
While acknowledging Musk’s understanding that punishing political opponents is wrong, Newsom questioned the billionaire’s character consistency, given his substantial donations to Trump’s campaign.
The governor maintained that the decision should have focused on space exploration and precedent rather than on SpaceX or Musk personally. He reiterated that he does not control the commission “in any way, shape or form.”
Read more at POLITICO
RELATED TOPICS:
Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks
7 hours ago
Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency
9 hours ago
First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close
10 hours ago
Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6
11 hours ago
Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike
11 hours ago
President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point
12 hours ago
Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal
12 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency
