Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
San Jose State Volleyball at the Center of Another Decision on Forfeiting
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 6 months ago on
October 15, 2024

Nevada volleyball players refuse to play San Jose State, citing concerns over fairness in women's sports. (AP/David Zalubowski)

Share

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

The University of Nevada has made it clear that its Oct. 26 volleyball match against San Jose State will go on as scheduled after the team’s players released an independent statement saying they would “refuse to participate in any match that advances injustice against female athletes.”

Four teams had previously canceled games against San Jose State: Boise State, Southern Utah, Utah State and Wyoming, with none of the schools explicitly saying why they were forfeiting.

“We demand that our right to safety and fair competition on the court be upheld,” read the Nevada players’ statement, which the university said Monday was released the day prior without consultation with school officials.

The Republican governors of Idaho, Utah and Wyoming have made public statements in support of the cancellations, citing a need for fairness in women’s sports.

Nevada’s Republican Governor, Joe Lombardo, posted Tuesday on the social platform X that he “wholeheartedly respect the decision of the players. No student athlete should ever be pressured to play a game where they don’t feel safe — period.”

San Jose State has not made any direct comments about the politicians’ “fairness” references.

Nevada’s Athletic Department Cites State Laws

Nevada’s athletic department cited state equality laws as the reason it couldn’t back out of its match, while acknowledging most of the players said they wouldn’t take the court.

The athletic department also stated the university is “governed by federal law as well as the rules and regulations of the NCAA and the Mountain West Conference, which include providing competition in an inclusive and supportive environment.”

Nevada’s Republican lieutenant governor also supported a cancellation before the school corrected its course.

The athletic department said players will not be subject to disciplinary action if they refuse to participate in the match.

“The players’ decision and statement were made independently, and without consultation with the University or the athletic department,” Nevada athletics’ statement read. “The players’ decision also does not represent the position of the University.”

Players Express Frustration with Athletic Department

Nevada senior Sia Liilii told OutKick the team was upset with its athletic department.

“We decided that we’re going to stand in solidarity with other teams that have already forfeited and that we wouldn’t participate in a game that advances sex-based discrimination or injustice against female athletes,” Liilii told the website.

The cancellations could cause some teams to not qualify for the conference tournament Nov. 27-30 in Las Vegas.

RELATED TOPICS:

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Newsom Wants to Bypass Trump Tariffs With Direct CA Trade Deals

DON'T MISS

Markets Plunge With S&P 500 Down 6% and Dow Down 2,200 After China Retaliates

DON'T MISS

Fresno Police Searching for Missing 12-Year-Old Girl

DON'T MISS

Madera Community College Unveils New Multicultural and Veterans Center

DON'T MISS

Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way

DON'T MISS

Saturday’s Spring Fest to Showcase Free, Low-Cost Activities for Fresno Kids

DON'T MISS

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

DON'T MISS

Fresno Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Marijuana DUI Crash

DON'T MISS

Judge Says US Must Return Maryland Man Who Was Mistakenly Deported to El Salvador Prison

DON'T MISS

These Fresno First-Graders Are Topping Their Peers in Reading

UP NEXT

Markets Plunge With S&P 500 Down 6% and Dow Down 2,200 After China Retaliates

UP NEXT

Fresno Police Searching for Missing 12-Year-Old Girl

UP NEXT

Madera Community College Unveils New Multicultural and Veterans Center

UP NEXT

Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way

UP NEXT

Saturday’s Spring Fest to Showcase Free, Low-Cost Activities for Fresno Kids

UP NEXT

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

UP NEXT

Fresno Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Marijuana DUI Crash

UP NEXT

Judge Says US Must Return Maryland Man Who Was Mistakenly Deported to El Salvador Prison

UP NEXT

These Fresno First-Graders Are Topping Their Peers in Reading

UP NEXT

Fresno Burial Ceremony to Honor Five Abandoned Babies Set for Saturday

Madera Community College Unveils New Multicultural and Veterans Center

4 hours ago

Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way

4 hours ago

Saturday’s Spring Fest to Showcase Free, Low-Cost Activities for Fresno Kids

5 hours ago

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

5 hours ago

Fresno Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Marijuana DUI Crash

5 hours ago

Judge Says US Must Return Maryland Man Who Was Mistakenly Deported to El Salvador Prison

5 hours ago

These Fresno First-Graders Are Topping Their Peers in Reading

7 hours ago

Fresno Burial Ceremony to Honor Five Abandoned Babies Set for Saturday

7 hours ago

Visalia Man Arrested for Soliciting Sex From Minor in Kingsburg

7 hours ago

Camalah Saleh Cruises to Win in Stormy Fresno State Student Elections

9 hours ago

Newsom Wants to Bypass Trump Tariffs With Direct CA Trade Deals

Gov. Gavin Newsom on Friday asked exporting countries worldwide to spare California their retaliatory tariffs, saying he plans to pursue dir...

3 hours ago

3 hours ago

Newsom Wants to Bypass Trump Tariffs With Direct CA Trade Deals

Specialist Anthony Matesic works on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, Friday, April 4, 2025. (AP/Richard Drew)
4 hours ago

Markets Plunge With S&P 500 Down 6% and Dow Down 2,200 After China Retaliates

Fresno police are searching for Unique Hernandez, 12, last seen on Friday, April 4, 2025, near Inyo Street and Maple Avenue, wearing all black clothing and carrying a black backpack. (Fresno PD)
4 hours ago

Fresno Police Searching for Missing 12-Year-Old Girl

4 hours ago

Madera Community College Unveils New Multicultural and Veterans Center

4 hours ago

Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way

5 hours ago

Saturday’s Spring Fest to Showcase Free, Low-Cost Activities for Fresno Kids

5 hours ago

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

Antonio de Jesus Orozco Montes Deoca, 30, was sentenced on Friday, March 4, 2025, to 14 years and 8 months in prison for a deadly marijuana DUI crash in 2022 that killed one woman and injured four others. (GV Wire Composite)
5 hours ago

Fresno Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Marijuana DUI Crash

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend