Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Trump Says There Was ‘No Conflict’ at Cemetery, Despite Official Accounts
d8a347b41db1ddee634e2d67d08798c102ef09ac
By The New York Times
Published 7 months ago on
September 4, 2024

From left: Cindy McCain, Jimmy McCain and Meghan McCain watch as Sen. John McCain's coffin is borne from Washington National Cathedral after his memorial service, Sept. 1, 2018. Jimmy McCain said Tuesday that the campaign of former President Donald Trump had committed a “violation of a sacred place” when it clashed with an official at Arlington National Cemetery. (Erin Schaff/The New York Times)

Share

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Former President Donald Trump insisted in a radio interview on Tuesday that “there was no conflict” between members of his campaign team and an official at Arlington National Cemetery, contradicting his campaign’s previous statements about the episode last week and Army officials’ account.

“If you look at just the records, there was no conflict, there was no fight, there was no anything,” Trump said on Sean Hannity’s radio show. Hours earlier, Trump on his social media site claimed “there was no conflict or ‘fighting’” at the cemetery, calling the story, without evidence, “made up” by the White House.

It was the latest effort by the Trump campaign to defend itself after a physical altercation between a Trump aide and a cemetery official that was set off by the campaign’s defying of a ban on political campaigning at the cemetery in Virginia during Trump’s visit last week.

Army officials said the cemetery employee had been “abruptly pushed aside” by a Trump campaign aide. The Trump campaign has said there was “no physical altercation” but did not deny there was a dispute. Campaign officials also previously attacked and insulted the cemetery official and said they were prepared to release footage of the episode, though the campaign has not yet done so after repeated requests.

Woman Files Incident Report with Authorities

A woman who works at the cemetery filed an incident report with the military authorities over the altercation. But the woman, who has not been identified but was described as a seasoned official at the cemetery, later declined to press charges. Military officials said she feared retaliation from Trump supporters if her identity became known as part of any formal investigation.

Still, Trump pointed to her lack of a public statement as evidence that the conflict never took place. “Notice that the person representing now doesn’t want to talk,” he said, and added, referring incorrectly to the cemetery official’s gender, “He doesn’t want to speak or talk.”

Steven Cheung, a Trump campaign spokesperson, said in a statement Tuesday that “there was no conflict and no fight — just a staffer from the cemetery who tried to block the movement of some individuals.” He added, “From our side, we did not do anything.”

He did not respond directly to a question about whether the campaign planned to release materials that would support its account, saying, “as the Army said, they consider this matter closed.”

Trump campaign officials did not initially deny there had been a dispute. Cheung initially accused the woman of suffering a “mental health episode.” And Chris LaCivita, a top adviser for the Trump campaign, said in his own statement that the cemetery official was a “despicable individual” who was spreading lies and “dishonoring the men and women of our armed forces.”

Trump has in the past several days tried to draw attention away from the events at the cemetery and toward Vice President Kamala Harris’ role in the turbulent withdrawal from Afghanistan, which Republicans have used to attack the Biden administration over foreign policy.

He has reiterated that he was invited to the cemetery by the families of some of the 13 U.S. troops killed in a suicide bombing at Abbey Gate outside the Kabul airport in 2021.

Harris Criticizes Trump for Politicizing Event

After Harris criticized Trump for politicizing the cemetery, the Trump campaign released a statement signed by family members of seven of the 13 U.S. troops killed in the bombing that said she had “disgracefully twisted” Trump’s visit “into a political ploy.”

The former president and his aides have also given contradictory explanations for why they filmed at the cemetery. Cheung initially said the campaign had permission to take photos and video — a notion that statements by the cemetery and the Army had rejected because that would be prohibited by law.

The Trump campaign then highlighted that some of the family members who had appeared alongside Trump at the cemetery had given the campaign aides permission to film the event themselves — even though the cemetery said officials had repeatedly told the Trump team that it would violate federal law.

Trump has also repeatedly said that he posed for photos at the graves spontaneously at the request of family members. He brought up the incident at campaign events last week, insisting that he had not been campaigning because “I don’t need the publicity,” which he repeated in the Hannity interview.

“Thank you for saying you wanted me to stand with you at Arlington National Ceremony, and take pictures, that it was your request, not mine, but it was my great honor to do so,” Trump said of the troops’ families in a post on his social media site, Truth Social, on Sunday.

This article originally appeared in The New York Times.

By Michael Gold and Chris Cameron/Erin Schaff
c. 2024 The New York Times Company

RELATED TOPICS:

DON'T MISS

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Samantha Jenny Audelo

DON'T MISS

Russell Brand Charged With Rape, Sexual Assault

DON'T MISS

Israeli Military Orders New Evacuation of Gaza City Neighborhoods

DON'T MISS

Sell-off Worsens Worldwide and Dow Drops 1,000 After China Retaliates Against Trump Tariffs

DON'T MISS

Visalia Man Arrested in Child Exploitation Investigation

DON'T MISS

It’s Time to Love Your Desk Lunches

DON'T MISS

Rural California, Reliant on the Trump Administration for Jobs, Braces for Cuts

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

DON'T MISS

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

DON'T MISS

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

UP NEXT

Russell Brand Charged With Rape, Sexual Assault

UP NEXT

Israeli Military Orders New Evacuation of Gaza City Neighborhoods

UP NEXT

Sell-off Worsens Worldwide and Dow Drops 1,000 After China Retaliates Against Trump Tariffs

UP NEXT

Visalia Man Arrested in Child Exploitation Investigation

UP NEXT

It’s Time to Love Your Desk Lunches

UP NEXT

Rural California, Reliant on the Trump Administration for Jobs, Braces for Cuts

UP NEXT

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

UP NEXT

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

UP NEXT

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

UP NEXT

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

Sell-off Worsens Worldwide and Dow Drops 1,000 After China Retaliates Against Trump Tariffs

26 minutes ago

Visalia Man Arrested in Child Exploitation Investigation

31 minutes ago

It’s Time to Love Your Desk Lunches

41 minutes ago

Rural California, Reliant on the Trump Administration for Jobs, Braces for Cuts

2 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

15 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

15 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

16 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

16 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

17 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

17 hours ago

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Samantha Jenny Audelo

April 4, 2025 Most Wanted Person of the Day Suspect Name: Samantha Jenny Audelo Suspects Date of Birth: January 18, 1986 Physical Descriptio...

4 minutes ago

Samantha Jenny Audelo is Valley Crime Stoppers' Most Wanted Person of the Day for April 4, 2025. (Valley Crimes Stoppers)
4 minutes ago

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Samantha Jenny Audelo

Actor Russell Brand is seen during the Republican National Convention Thursday, July 18, 2024, in Milwaukee. (AP File)
12 minutes ago

Russell Brand Charged With Rape, Sexual Assault

Injured people arrive at Al-Ahli Arab Hospital in central Gaza City on Thursday, March 3, 2025. Israel wants to squeeze Hamas into releasing the dozens of hostages still held in the enclave. But other objectives have since emerged. (Saher Alghorra/The New York Times)
20 minutes ago

Israeli Military Orders New Evacuation of Gaza City Neighborhoods

Robert Greason works on the floor at the New York Stock Exchange in New York, Thursday, April 3, 2025. (AP/Seth Wenig)
26 minutes ago

Sell-off Worsens Worldwide and Dow Drops 1,000 After China Retaliates Against Trump Tariffs

31 minutes ago

Visalia Man Arrested in Child Exploitation Investigation

41 minutes ago

It’s Time to Love Your Desk Lunches

2 hours ago

Rural California, Reliant on the Trump Administration for Jobs, Braces for Cuts

15 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend