Firefighters battle a wildfire near Reno, destroying one home and threatening hundreds more as gusty winds pose challenges. (AP File)
Share
Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
|
RENO, Nev. — About 200 firefighters were battling a wildfire Monday along the California-Nevada line Monday that destroyed one home, temporarily closed Interstate 80 and continued to threaten hundreds of homes just west of Reno.
No serious injuries have been reported in the blaze, which has burned about 500 acres (200 hectares) along the Truckee River since it broke out Sunday evening.
Crews made significant progress overnight keeping the fire from growing and the interstate connecting Reno to Sacramento and San Francisco was reopened.
Nonetheless, about 6,200 people remained without power and fire officials expressed concerns Monday about increasingly gusty winds that could hamper firefighting efforts on the ground and from the air into the evening.
Related Story: Huge California Wildfire Chews Through Timber in Very Hot and Dry Weather
Hundreds of Homes Threatened
Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District spokesman Adam Mayberry estimated that about 400 homes in the area were threatened “or could be threatened should the fire spread.”
“That’s the real concern today. We’re under a red flag warning and I’m looking at an American flag right now it is flapping pretty hard,” he said from near the fire lines on the edge of Verdi, a town 11 miles (17 kilometers) from downtown Reno.
The National Weather Service in Reno said winds could gust up to 35 mph (55 kph).
Federal Team to Assume Command
More firefighters were expected to arrive Monday evening when a federal interagency team would assume command. A temporary shelter and information center was set up at a local library but Mayberry said the last he had heard, no evacuees were there.
Related Story: Fast-Moving San Bernardino Wildfire Torches Hillside Community, Forcing ...
The cause of the fire remained under investigation. At one point Sunday night, about 27,000 people were without power, but Nevada Energy reported Tuesday that electricity had been restored to all but 6,286.
RELATED TOPICS:
Shohei Ohtani Throws Second Bullpen Since Resuming Mound Ramp Up
12 hours ago
Visalia Traffic Stop Nets $30K in Xanax, Marijuana
12 hours ago
Fresno Joins Global Protest Against Donald Trump and Elon Musk
13 hours ago
The Latest: Trump’s Tariffs Unleash Trade War and Calls for Negotiations
15 hours ago
Trump and Netanyahu to Discuss Gaza Crisis and Tariffs at Upcoming Meeting
16 hours ago
Trump Doubles Down That Tariffs Will Pay Off for Americans
16 hours ago
Senate GOP Approves Trump’s Tax Breaks and Spending Cuts After Late-Night Session
16 hours ago
Bakersfield to Host Sanders and AOC in ‘Fighting Oligarchy’ Event
11 hours ago
Categories

Bakersfield to Host Sanders and AOC in ‘Fighting Oligarchy’ Event

Jaguar and Land Rover Maker Pauses Shipments to US as It Develops Post-Tariff Plans

China Hit Brakes on TikTok Deal After Trump Announced Wide-Ranging Tariffs

Shohei Ohtani Throws Second Bullpen Since Resuming Mound Ramp Up

Visalia Traffic Stop Nets $30K in Xanax, Marijuana

Fresno Joins Global Protest Against Donald Trump and Elon Musk
