Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

19 hours ago

US Air Force will Offer Military Funeral Honors to Slain Capitol Rioter

20 hours ago

US Republican Senator Joni Ernst Will Not Run for Re-Election, CBS News Reports

21 hours ago

Wall Street Falls as Dell, Nvidia Drive Tech Losses

21 hours ago

US Denies Visas to Palestinian Officials Ahead of UN General Assembly

23 hours ago

Minneapolis Children Revealed Courage, Absorbed Fear During Church Shooting

2 days ago

Ford Recalls Nearly 500,000 Vehicles Over Brake Fluid Leak

2 days ago

Fresno-Bound Passenger Says Delta Attendant Slapped Him, Seeks $20M

2 days ago
Fresno Catholic Diocese Will File Bankruptcy Because of Sexual Abuse Claims: Bishop Brennan
BILL NEW PROFILE IMAGE
By Bill McEwen, News Director
Published 1 year ago on
May 28, 2024

Bishop Joseph Brennan announced Tuesday May 28, 2024, that the Catholic Diocese of Fresno will file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in August because of mounting claims of child sexual abuse by clergy. (GV Wire File)

Share

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Bishop Joseph Brennan announced Tuesday afternoon that the Catholic Diocese of Fresno will file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in August “to ensure that each claim (of clergy sexual abuse) is resolved as fairly as possible and handled with equitable compassion.”

“When I hear how many lives were affected by clergy sexual abuse, my heart truly breaks. I imagine the faithful may be dismayed by the news of our serious financial situation, but I ask them to let go of their distress and turn their hearts towards the victims of abuse.” — Bishop Joseph Brennan, Catholic Diocese of Fresno

Brennan stated in an “Open Letter to the Faithful” that the diocese faces 154 claims of abuse by clergy. That total, the bishop said, grew following the enactment of a state law opening a three-year window for victims to bring forward previously barred or expired claims of child sexual abuse by clergy.

“After considering how to best obtain those goals, the Diocese has decided that filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy is the most suitable option. Requesting a court-supervised reorganization ensures all victims are compensated fairly and equitably and Diocesan resources are not depleted by the first few cases that complete the litigation or settlement process,” Brennan wrote.

“When I hear how many lives were affected by clergy sexual abuse, my heart truly breaks. I imagine the faithful may be dismayed by the news of our serious financial situation, but I ask them to let go of their distress and turn their hearts towards the victims of abuse.”

Abuse Costs California Catholic Dioceses Billions of Dollars

Catholic dioceses in San Francisco, Sacramento, and Oakland either filed or announced plans to file for bankruptcy last year.

Five years ago, the Fresno diocese hired retired FBI agent and high-ranking bureau executive Kathleen McChesney to lead a team reviewing all clergy files going back nearly 100 years. The goal was to compile a list of priests who had been credibly accused of improper conduct with minors, according to the diocese.

In addition, at that time, the California Attorney General’s Office announced that it was reviewing how all 12 Catholic dioceses in California handled allegations of child sexual abuse.

Catholic dioceses in California paid an estimated $1.5 billion to thousands of sexual abuse victims between 2000 and 2019.

Here is a link to Frequently Asked Questions provided by the diocese.

RELATED TOPICS:

DON'T MISS

What Are Fresno Real Estate Experts Predicting for 2025 and Beyond?

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Gov. Newsom Launches New Task Force To Clear CA Homeless Encampments

DON'T MISS

Fresno Supervisor Nathan Magsig Says Crews Gaining Ground on Garnet Fire

DON'T MISS

Judge Allows Release of Accused Arsonist Bobby Salazar on $1M Bond

DON'T MISS

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

DON'T MISS

Fresno Area Schools Prep for Football With Stout Security Measures

DON'T MISS

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

DON'T MISS

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

DON'T MISS

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

DON'T MISS

Fresno Shelter Helps Homeless Recover from Hospital Stays. It’s Also a ‘Good Neighbor’

DON'T MISS

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

UP NEXT

Judge Allows Release of Accused Arsonist Bobby Salazar on $1M Bond

UP NEXT

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

UP NEXT

Fresno Area Schools Prep for Football With Stout Security Measures

UP NEXT

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

UP NEXT

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

UP NEXT

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

UP NEXT

Fresno Shelter Helps Homeless Recover from Hospital Stays. It’s Also a ‘Good Neighbor’

UP NEXT

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

UP NEXT

U.S. News Releases Best High School Rankings. How Did Fresno Schools Do?

UP NEXT

Fresno Labor Day Traffic Alert for Motorists Using Maroa Avenue

Bill McEwen,
News Director
Bill McEwen is news director and columnist for GV Wire. He joined GV Wire in August 2017 after 37 years at The Fresno Bee. With The Bee, he served as Opinion Editor, City Hall reporter, Metro columnist, sports columnist and sports editor through the years. His work has been frequently honored by the California Newspapers Publishers Association, including authoring first-place editorials in 2015 and 2016. Bill and his wife, Karen, are proud parents of two adult sons, and they have two grandsons. You can contact Bill at 559-492-4031 or at Send an Email

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

15 hours ago

Fresno Area Schools Prep for Football With Stout Security Measures

15 hours ago

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

16 hours ago

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

16 hours ago

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

16 hours ago

Fresno Shelter Helps Homeless Recover from Hospital Stays. It’s Also a ‘Good Neighbor’

17 hours ago

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

17 hours ago

Judge Blocks Enforcement of Texas Law Restricting DEI and ESG Advice

17 hours ago

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

19 hours ago

Trump Cancels $4.9 Billion in Foreign Aid, Escalating Spending Fight with Congress

19 hours ago

Gov. Newsom Launches New Task Force To Clear CA Homeless Encampments

This story was originally published by CalMatters. Sign up for their newsletters. Gov. Gavin Newsom launched a new homeless response task fo...

13 hours ago

City worker in protective gear removes belongings near a yellow tent during a homeless encampment cleanup at an urban transit stop.
13 hours ago

Gov. Newsom Launches New Task Force To Clear CA Homeless Encampments

Fresno County’s Garnet Fire has burned 17,159 acres with 8% containment as of Friday, Aug. 29, 2025, prompting evacuations while officials confirm the cause and some areas remain open for Labor Day. (U.S. Forest Service)
14 hours ago

Fresno Supervisor Nathan Magsig Says Crews Gaining Ground on Garnet Fire

Bobby Salazar motorcycle gang fire restaurant Blackstone fresno insurance fraud
14 hours ago

Judge Allows Release of Accused Arsonist Bobby Salazar on $1M Bond

Curtis Wayne Recek is Valley Crime Stoppers' Most Wanted Person of the Day for August 29, 2025. (Valley Crimes Stoppers)
15 hours ago

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

15 hours ago

Fresno Area Schools Prep for Football With Stout Security Measures

Fire at Yosemite Falls Cafe on Friday, Aug. 29, 2025. (Fresno FD)
16 hours ago

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

The seal of the U.S. Justice Department is seen on the podium in the Department's headquarters briefing room before a news conference with the Attorney General in Washington, January 24, 2023. (Reuters File)
16 hours ago

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

Abdulrahman Hisham, 20, an Egyptian social media content creator, looks at his page with several videos, amid a wave of cases prompting Egypt to consider tighter regulations on social media platforms at his residence in n Cairo, Egypt August, 20, 2025. REUTERS/Amr Abdallah Dalsh
16 hours ago

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

Search

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Send this to a friend