Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

16 hours ago

US Air Force will Offer Military Funeral Honors to Slain Capitol Rioter

18 hours ago

US Republican Senator Joni Ernst Will Not Run for Re-Election, CBS News Reports

19 hours ago

Wall Street Falls as Dell, Nvidia Drive Tech Losses

19 hours ago

US Denies Visas to Palestinian Officials Ahead of UN General Assembly

21 hours ago

Minneapolis Children Revealed Courage, Absorbed Fear During Church Shooting

2 days ago

Ford Recalls Nearly 500,000 Vehicles Over Brake Fluid Leak

2 days ago

Fresno-Bound Passenger Says Delta Attendant Slapped Him, Seeks $20M

2 days ago
Fentanyl Suspect Re-Arrested. This Time, He Won't Bail Out.
David Taub Website photo 2024
By David Taub, Senior Reporter
Published 3 years ago on
January 11, 2023

Share

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

A Los Angeles man arrested and released last week for fentanyl possession in Fresno County is back in custody. This time, he faces no bail.

Fresno County Sheriff’s detectives initially arrested Pedro Miranda-Muro, 23, on Jan. 3 near Cantua Creek. He was charged with possession of 12.5 pounds of fentanyl and heroin. He spent approximately 16 hours in jail, after being released on “zero-dollar bail,” a pandemic-era program instituted by the Fresno County Superior Court to ease jail overcrowding.

On Tuesday, the sheriff’s office, along with Huron police and the federal Drug Enforcement Agency re-arrested Miranda-Muro in Huron. Now, Miranda-Muro faces a federal drug charge — possession with intent to distribute.  The maximum penalty is 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $100,000.

“Due to having a federal warrant out for his arrest, he has been placed on a federal hold and is not eligible for bail,” the sheriff’s office said in a news release.

Miranda-Muro is expected to appear in a Fresno federal court soon, although there is no date listed on the court’s website. No attorney for Miranda-Muro is listed.

Outcry After Initial Release

When Miranda-Muro was released after his initial arrest, the sheriff’s office and Fresno Police Chief Paco Balderrama complained publicly about him being kicked loose without posting bail.

The following day, the court announced the policy was rescinded by a majority decision of judges. The move was met with praise from the law enforcement community.

It is unclear when the Fresno County Superior Court decision was actually made. At the time, multiple law enforcement agencies expressed confusion to GV Wire about the timeline of the decision and when it went into effect.

GV Wire has a pending request for information from the court. Unlike most government agencies, the Fresno County Superior Court only accepts requests for administrative records through postal mail. Specific open record laws that apply to state and local governments that allow for email requests do not automatically apply to the court system.

Details of First Arrest

An affidavit filed in federal court detailed how Fresno County Sheriff’s detectives first took Miranda-Muro into custody.

The detectives were stationed along Interstate 5 near Highway 33 in a marked vehicle. They observed an Acura speeding, tailgating, and swerving. They pulled over the vehicle to conduct a traffic enforcement stop.

“As the driver handed Deputy (Cody) Wells his California driver’s license, he noticed that his hands were shaking,” the affidavit stated. When asked if there were illegal drugs in the vehicle, Miranda-Muro replied “no” and consented to a search of the vehicle.

Drug K-9 “Willow” then searched the vehicle.

“Deputy Wells said ‘Willow’ gave a final response to the odor of narcotics in the vehicle,” the affidavit said. “Wells noticed a cellophane-wrapped package in the door pocket which based on his training and experience, he believed to be narcotics.”

Muro-Miranda was arrested. An inspection of the trunk found more packages of suspected drugs, wrapped in a way to “mask the odor of narcotics.”

Detectives also found $1,600 in the center console.

A Pandemic Policy

Shortly after the pandemic shut the world down in March 2020, the state court system instituted an emergency bail procedure in which suspects could bail out of jail with zero payment. There were exceptions for the most violent of crimes.

The state ended its policy by June 2020 but allowed each county court system to keep, eliminate, or modify the bail orders.

Los Angeles and Santa Clara counties eliminated the emergency order last year. Fresno continually modified its bail order but kept it in place until last week.

After repeated requests from GV Wire, the court sent out a statement that the bail order was rescinded on Jan. 4, but did not provide a reason for the decision.

RELATED TOPICS:

DON'T MISS

What Are Fresno Real Estate Experts Predicting for 2025 and Beyond?

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Gov. Newsom Launches New Task Force To Clear CA Homeless Encampments

DON'T MISS

Fresno Supervisor Nathan Magsig Says Crews Gaining Ground on Garnet Fire

DON'T MISS

Judge Allows Release of Accused Arsonist Bobby Salazar on $1M Bond

DON'T MISS

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

DON'T MISS

Fresno Area Schools Prep for Football With Stout Security Measures

DON'T MISS

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

DON'T MISS

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

DON'T MISS

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

DON'T MISS

Fresno Shelter Helps Homeless Recover from Hospital Stays. It’s Also a ‘Good Neighbor’

DON'T MISS

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

UP NEXT

Fresno Supervisor Nathan Magsig Says Crews Gaining Ground on Garnet Fire

UP NEXT

Judge Allows Release of Accused Arsonist Bobby Salazar on $1M Bond

UP NEXT

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

UP NEXT

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

UP NEXT

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

UP NEXT

Fresno Shelter Helps Homeless Recover from Hospital Stays. It’s Also a ‘Good Neighbor’

UP NEXT

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

UP NEXT

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

UP NEXT

U.S. News Releases Best High School Rankings. How Did Fresno Schools Do?

UP NEXT

Fresno Labor Day Traffic Alert for Motorists Using Maroa Avenue

David Taub,
Senior Reporter
Curiosity drives David Taub. The award-winning journalist might be shy, but feels mighty with a recorder in his hand. He doesn't see it his job to "hold public officials accountable," but does see it to provide readers (and voters) the information needed to make intelligent choices. Taub has been honored with several writing awards from the California News Publishers Association. He's just happy to have his stories read. Joining GV Wire in 2016, Taub covers politics, government and elections, mainly in the Fresno/Clovis area. He also writes columns about local eateries (Appetite for Fresno), pro wrestling (Off the Bottom Rope), and media (Media Man). Prior to joining the online news source, Taub worked as a radio producer for KMJ and PowerTalk 96.7 in Fresno. He also worked as an assignment editor for KCOY-TV in Santa Maria, California, and KSEE-TV in Fresno. He has also worked behind the scenes for several sports broadcasts, including the NCAA basketball tournament, and the Super Bowl. When not spending time with his family, Taub loves to officially score Fresno Grizzlies games. Growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area, Taub is a die-hard Giants and 49ers fan. He graduated from the University of Michigan with dual degrees in communications and political science. Go Blue! You can contact David at 559-492-4037 or at Send an Email

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

13 hours ago

Fresno Area Schools Prep for Football With Stout Security Measures

13 hours ago

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

13 hours ago

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

13 hours ago

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

13 hours ago

Fresno Shelter Helps Homeless Recover from Hospital Stays. It’s Also a ‘Good Neighbor’

14 hours ago

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

15 hours ago

Judge Blocks Enforcement of Texas Law Restricting DEI and ESG Advice

15 hours ago

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

16 hours ago

Trump Cancels $4.9 Billion in Foreign Aid, Escalating Spending Fight with Congress

16 hours ago

Gov. Newsom Launches New Task Force To Clear CA Homeless Encampments

This story was originally published by CalMatters. Sign up for their newsletters. Gov. Gavin Newsom launched a new homeless response task fo...

11 hours ago

City worker in protective gear removes belongings near a yellow tent during a homeless encampment cleanup at an urban transit stop.
11 hours ago

Gov. Newsom Launches New Task Force To Clear CA Homeless Encampments

Fresno County’s Garnet Fire has burned 17,159 acres with 8% containment as of Friday, Aug. 29, 2025, prompting evacuations while officials confirm the cause and some areas remain open for Labor Day. (U.S. Forest Service)
11 hours ago

Fresno Supervisor Nathan Magsig Says Crews Gaining Ground on Garnet Fire

Bobby Salazar motorcycle gang fire restaurant Blackstone fresno insurance fraud
12 hours ago

Judge Allows Release of Accused Arsonist Bobby Salazar on $1M Bond

Curtis Wayne Recek is Valley Crime Stoppers' Most Wanted Person of the Day for August 29, 2025. (Valley Crimes Stoppers)
13 hours ago

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

13 hours ago

Fresno Area Schools Prep for Football With Stout Security Measures

Fire at Yosemite Falls Cafe on Friday, Aug. 29, 2025. (Fresno FD)
13 hours ago

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

The seal of the U.S. Justice Department is seen on the podium in the Department's headquarters briefing room before a news conference with the Attorney General in Washington, January 24, 2023. (Reuters File)
13 hours ago

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

Abdulrahman Hisham, 20, an Egyptian social media content creator, looks at his page with several videos, amid a wave of cases prompting Egypt to consider tighter regulations on social media platforms at his residence in n Cairo, Egypt August, 20, 2025. REUTERS/Amr Abdallah Dalsh
13 hours ago

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

Search

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Send this to a friend