Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Whalen's Fresno Judge Election Canceled After Call from Governor's Office
David Website Replacement
By David Taub, Senior Reporter
Published 3 years ago on
February 28, 2022

Share

 

An election for a vacant Fresno County judicial seat sought by Clovis City Councilman Bob Whalen has been removed from the ballot. The county election clerk says the judgeship’s initial placement on the ballot was an error and he removed it after a call from the governor’s office last week. 

“I received a call from the governor’s office indicating that they thought an error may have occurred,” said Fresno County Clerk James Kus. “We did a review of our information and we agreed that a clerical error had occurred. Kus said that the seat instead will be placed on the 2024 ballot.

Whalen, who is a top prosecutor manager in the Fresno County District Attorney’s office, was the lone candidate for Superior Court Judge No. 9.

Whalen, a Republican, questioned the intentions of Gov. Gavin Newsom, a Democrat.

“The governor frequently does like to continue to arrogate more power to himself. And this may be just another step in that direction,” Whalen said. “But, you know, he is not above the law, the law is what governs. That’s why I think it’s important for us to kind of have this conversation with the county clerk and why it is important to have judges in positions that are going to make sure that the law is followed, not the politics.”

The judicial seat became vacant when Judge Denise Whitehead retired in November. The state Constitution requires judicial vacancies to be filled in an election if the date of Jan. 1 has twice passed following the vacancy — even if the term would be up for election in the coming cycle.

The governor can appoint someone to serve in the seat until the next election in 2024.

Governor’s Office Called Fresno Election Clerk

Kus tells GV Wire that he initiated research last December as to whether the seat would be on the June 2022 ballot. After placing the seat on the ballot — and after Whalen filed to run for that seat — Kus admits he did not follow up on his research.

After receiving a call from the governor’s office — Kus declined to specify who made the call — he made the change. The governor’s office, after the publication of this story, said it was staff from the judicial appointment unit, making a semi-regular check.

The Fresno County Board of Supervisors appointed Kus to the elected clerk position in February 2021 after the retirement of Brandi Orth.

“It’s a complicated process to do that review on the vacancy, even in a simple situation,” Kus said. “We had to double-check it all. The final action that should have happened in December of 2021,  when we were made aware of (Judge Whitehead’s) vacancy having occurred, didn’t happen. All it is is one change, 2022 to 2024 in one system … that we didn’t do.”

Going forward, Kus plans to add another layer of review when a judicial vacancy occurs.

After this story first published, the governor’s office replied: “The decision to remove the vacancy from election was made independent of our office.”

Kus Informs Whalen

A day after the call from the governor’s office, Kus removed the judicial seat from the ballot and called Whalen.

“He was genuinely and extremely apologetic. He felt very bad about having to make the phone call,” Whalen said. “I tried to encourage him that actually the first decision he made was the correct decision.”

Because the declaration of intent period expired, Whalen is not able to run for any of the remaining 17 judicial positions with expiring terms. Elections are taken off the ballot if only one candidate runs — as will be the case in June for all of the judgeships with expiring terms.

Whalen said he would not challenge another sitting judge even if that was an option.

“Generally, at least from the district attorney’s office, it’s not our practice to run against sitting judges. I was unlikely to do that,” Whalen said.

Whalen will be refunded his $2,250.74 filing fee.

Whalen Considers His Next Move

Whalen plans to speak with the clerk’s office for more interpretation. He says this decision is a “Constitutional violation.”

“It is a conclusion, that at least until I have an opportunity to hear them out, is inconsistent with the canons of statutory interpretation,” Whalen said.

Whalen said that litigation is an “option that’s available.”

“I’m pretty hopeful and confident that this most recent decision by the county clerk will be reviewed by him and that he will understand that the two January rule isn’t in effect when you have a judge who vacates when it would require that the people not vote for that particular spot in the normal length of term of that judicial office. The way that (Kus) is interpreting it is extending the judicial office to more than six years,” Whalen said.

Whalen’s elections plans will also change. He will now run for re-election in November for Clovis City Council. He will also keep his position in the district attorney’s office.

What the Constitution Says

Kus referred to the state Constitution that determines how a judicial vacancy is filled.

“Terms of judges of superior courts are six years beginning the Monday after January 1 following their election. A vacancy shall be filled by election to a full term at the next general election after the second January 1 following the vacancy, but the Governor shall appoint a person to fill the vacancy temporarily until the elected judge’s term begins,” reads Article 6, Sec. 16(c).

Unlike other elected positions, the end of a term is not fixed when there is a vacancy. For example, when Rep. Devin Nunes, R-Tulare, resigned from Congress on Jan. 1, the seat he represented still expires on Jan. 3, 2023. For Superior Court judges, the “two January rule” is in effect for the seat’s expiration. The six-year term will begin anew at the next election cycle.

The election countdown begins when the seat becomes officially vacant, not when an appointment is made. Six Fresno County Superior Court judges are up for election for the first time in 2022 after appointments from Newsom. None drew a competitor.

[Update, 2/28/2022, 3:15 p.m.: This story has been updated with a reply from the governor’s office.]

RELATED TOPICS:

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

DON'T MISS

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

DON'T MISS

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

DON'T MISS

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

DON'T MISS

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

DON'T MISS

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

UP NEXT

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

UP NEXT

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

UP NEXT

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

UP NEXT

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

UP NEXT

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

UP NEXT

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

UP NEXT

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

David Taub,
Senior Reporter
Curiosity drives David Taub. The award-winning journalist might be shy, but feels mighty with a recorder in his hand. He doesn't see it his job to "hold public officials accountable," but does see it to provide readers (and voters) the information needed to make intelligent choices. Taub has been honored with several writing awards from the California News Publishers Association. He's just happy to have his stories read. Joining GV Wire in 2016, Taub covers politics, government and elections, mainly in the Fresno/Clovis area. He also writes columns about local eateries (Appetite for Fresno), pro wrestling (Off the Bottom Rope), and media (Media Man). Prior to joining the online news source, Taub worked as a radio producer for KMJ and PowerTalk 96.7 in Fresno. He also worked as an assignment editor for KCOY-TV in Santa Maria, California, and KSEE-TV in Fresno. He has also worked behind the scenes for several sports broadcasts, including the NCAA basketball tournament, and the Super Bowl. When not spending time with his family, Taub loves to officially score Fresno Grizzlies games. Growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area, Taub is a die-hard Giants and 49ers fan. He graduated from the University of Michigan with dual degrees in communications and political science. Go Blue! You can contact David at 559-492-4037 or at Send an Email

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

12 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

12 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

12 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

14 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

15 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

16 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

16 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

16 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

17 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

17 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

GV Wire’s Edward Smith talks with KMPH Fox 26 “Great Day” anchor Christina Rodriguez about the possibility of CEMEX digging a 600-foot hole ...

11 hours ago

11 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
11 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

12 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

12 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

12 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

12 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
14 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

15 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend