Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Haener is Staying, Apologizes for Trying to Leave
David Website Replacement
By David Taub, Senior Reporter
Published 3 years ago on
December 9, 2021

Share

Jake Haener, Fresno State’s star quarterback, is returning to the Bulldogs for 2022. He had entered the NCAA transfer portal which would allow him to transfer to another school, but withdrew his name on Wednesday.

“Fresno is my home. It’s made me who I am. I can’t wait to play with Coach Tedford in 2022 and take on the Mountain West for the rest of my teammates and pursue a championship.”

“It’s something I’ve always wanted to do here and just play one more season as a Bulldog. I can’t imagine myself anywhere else and this is where I want to be. So Red Wave, I’ll see you in 2022. Go Dogs!” Haener said in a social media video.

Bulldogs Football 2022: Haener and Tedford

The news comes one day after the Bulldogs officially brought back head coach Jeff Tedford — who sat out two seasons for health reasons. Tedford replaced Kalen DeBoer, who left for the University of Washington, where Haener wanted to follow.

“I didn’t know what direction Fresno State was going to go with their coaching staff, their offense, terminology and system, and everything was up in the air. And I knew exactly what I had with Coach DeBoer and Coach Grubb,” Haener said.

Offensive coordinator Ryan Grubb followed DeBoer to Washington.

“Jake Haener will be available for the bowl game,” the athletics department told GV Wire.

Fresno State plays UTEP in the New Mexico Bowl on Dec. 18.

Haener — a fifth-year senior in 2021 — and all NCAA players, were granted an extra year of eligibility because of the pandemic.

Haener Apologizes

In a video posted through the Fresno State football’s twitter account, Haener explained the timing of entering the portal, apologizing for his decision.

“I want to sincerely apologize for the actions I took and the actions I thought that were at the time best for me and my future. Everything I had in my mind and everything at the time was a mix of emotions and true confusion with me and my family,” Haener said.

Because of the uncertainty of the Bulldogs bowl game date, and that Washington starts its winter quarter on Jan. 3, Haener felt last week was the best time to transfer.

“There was a lot of things that needed to be straightened out in my life, in my academic life that needed to be looked at and instructed and entering the transfer portal at that time gave us the best opportunity to weigh all my options out,” Haener said.

When he entered the portal last week, fans on social media were not pleased. Someone hung bedsheets on campus saying “Haener is a Traitor.”

Haener addressed those upset fans in an Instagram post, saying he was doing what was best for his future.

[Update: the athletics department confirmed Haener is eligible to play in the bowl game. This was previously unclear.]

RELATED TOPICS:

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

DON'T MISS

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

DON'T MISS

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

DON'T MISS

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

DON'T MISS

As Dem Candidates for Governor Increase, They Wait for Harris to Decide

DON'T MISS

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

DON'T MISS

Protests Planned All Over the World Aimed at Donald Trump and Elon Musk

DON'T MISS

Average US Rate on a 30-Year Mortgage Dips to 6.64% for the Second Drop in 2 Weeks

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

UP NEXT

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

UP NEXT

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

UP NEXT

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

UP NEXT

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

UP NEXT

Protests Planned All Over the World Aimed at Donald Trump and Elon Musk

UP NEXT

Average US Rate on a 30-Year Mortgage Dips to 6.64% for the Second Drop in 2 Weeks

UP NEXT

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Christopher Robert Sharkey

UP NEXT

Fresno Man Arrested in Armed Robbery After Search Warrant Executed

UP NEXT

Diehard Baseball Fans in Sacramento Welcome Athletics and Hope They Stay Awhile

David Taub,
Senior Reporter
Curiosity drives David Taub. The award-winning journalist might be shy, but feels mighty with a recorder in his hand. He doesn't see it his job to "hold public officials accountable," but does see it to provide readers (and voters) the information needed to make intelligent choices. Taub has been honored with several writing awards from the California News Publishers Association. He's just happy to have his stories read. Joining GV Wire in 2016, Taub covers politics, government and elections, mainly in the Fresno/Clovis area. He also writes columns about local eateries (Appetite for Fresno), pro wrestling (Off the Bottom Rope), and media (Media Man). Prior to joining the online news source, Taub worked as a radio producer for KMJ and PowerTalk 96.7 in Fresno. He also worked as an assignment editor for KCOY-TV in Santa Maria, California, and KSEE-TV in Fresno. He has also worked behind the scenes for several sports broadcasts, including the NCAA basketball tournament, and the Super Bowl. When not spending time with his family, Taub loves to officially score Fresno Grizzlies games. Growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area, Taub is a die-hard Giants and 49ers fan. He graduated from the University of Michigan with dual degrees in communications and political science. Go Blue! You can contact David at 559-492-4037 or at Send an Email

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

2 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

3 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

3 hours ago

As Dem Candidates for Governor Increase, They Wait for Harris to Decide

3 hours ago

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

3 hours ago

Protests Planned All Over the World Aimed at Donald Trump and Elon Musk

3 hours ago

Average US Rate on a 30-Year Mortgage Dips to 6.64% for the Second Drop in 2 Weeks

3 hours ago

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Christopher Robert Sharkey

4 hours ago

Fresno Man Arrested in Armed Robbery After Search Warrant Executed

4 hours ago

Diehard Baseball Fans in Sacramento Welcome Athletics and Hope They Stay Awhile

5 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

California’s effort to have no new gas-powered vehicles sold in the state by 2035 is beginning, and it requires 35% of all 2026 models...

1 hour ago

1 hour ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Vice President Mike Pence hands the electoral certificate from the state of Arizona to Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., as he presides over a joint session of Congress as it convenes to count the Electoral College votes cast in November's election, at the Capitol in Washington, Jan. 6, 2021. (AP File)
1 hour ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

1 hour ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth attends a joint news conference with Japan's Defense Minister Gen Nakatani at the Ministry of Defense in Tokyo Sunday, March 30, 2025. (Kiyoshi Ota/Pool Photo via AP)
2 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

President Donald Trump holds a signed executive order during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden of the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Evan Vucci)
3 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

3 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

3 hours ago

As Dem Candidates for Governor Increase, They Wait for Harris to Decide

3 hours ago

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend