Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
COVID Notification App Supposed to Be Opt-In. Is it?
David Website Replacement
By David Taub, Senior Reporter
Published 4 years ago on
December 21, 2020

Share

A new smart phone application, designed to help alert Californians of possible COVID-19 exposure, is supposed to be an “opt-in” system. However, several people have contacted GV Wire℠ to say not only was the app installed automatically, it was already turned on.

On Nov. 10 the California Department of Public Health, along with the California Department of Technology, launched the CA Notify app which would alert users they may have been in proximity to someone who contracted COVID-19.

“The functionality is not launched automatically. Users have to decide whether or not to turn it on and opt in, which is completely voluntary and opt in,” a CDPH spokesperson said.

Karen Enea, a Monterey restaurant industry worker, checked her iPhone after seeing a warning posted on social media.

“The thing was automatically on,” Enea said. “It’s ridiculous. That should be against the law.”

Apple and Google notified its phone users on Dec. 10 that the phone technology was available. CNBC reported that 4 million Californians activated the app within a day.

Depending on the system, the app was automatically downloaded (Apple/IOS software) or needed an affirmative step to be downloaded (Google/Android).

Protecting Privacy

When informed of some users having CA Notify installed on their iPhone as opt-in, CDPH was insistent that it wasn’t.

“CA Notify is 100% opt in. Users must take several affirmative actions before it is enabled on their phone. Exposure notifications are included in the software for iPhones and Android phones require downloading an app from the Play Store,” a CDPH spokesperson said.

CDPH said user privacy and security is protected.

“CA Notify is designed to protect user privacy and security – it does not collect device location to detect exposures and does not share your identity to other users,” CDPH says.

A CDPH spokesperson says that information, including location data or personal information is not shared with Google, Apple or the state.

Enea doesn’t trust the technology to keep things private.

“Not at all,” Enea said. “Just everything that has been going on is going wrong.”

A Google spokesperson said they were unaware of any problems with their Android technology being automatically turned on when installed.

Of the phone users GV Wire spoke with for this story, they all used Apple iPhone OIS technology.

Apple did not reply to a request for comment.

Newsom, Vohra Support

Speaking at a news conference last week, Gov. Gavin Newsom wholeheartedly endorsed the program as a way to combat surging COVID-19 infections.

“The more people that participate in it, the more that opt in, the more effective this program can be,” Newsom told reporters. “We are hoping there will be enough to make this meaningful.”

Fresno County Interim Public Health Officer Dr. Rais Vohra said he turned on his CA Notify app.

“It’s not going to reveal people’s identity. It’s going to be done anonymously,” Vohra explained at a recent news conference. “You will get a notification, but you won’t know exactly who in your in your social space or in your even your family actually tested positive for coronavirus unless they disclose it themselves.”

How It Works

The tool — which has been used on a pilot basis last month at UC Berkeley and other college campuses — doesn’t track people’s identities or locations but uses Bluetooth wireless signals to detect when two phones are within 6 feet of each other for at least 15 minutes, officials said.

When the app was installed, users could go into their settings to turn on the exposure notifications, as it is supposed to work.

According to an explainer on the iPhone app, the Bluetooth technology “looks for iOS and Android phones that have Exposure Notification turned on and keeps a roiling 14 day log of their shared identifiers.”

Data would be deleted if a user uninstalls the app (on Android) or turns off notifications (in Apple). The phone would cease to share information with other phones.

Users who test positive, state health authorities would send a verification code on the phone to transmit to other CA Notify users.

“If the user tests positive and wants to activate alerts to others, they again have to take affirmative, optional steps to enter an anonymous code,” CDPH explains.

A notification would then go to other users who were within six feet for 15 or more minutes during the period of exposure.

“The notification will tell the other users the date of their exposure, but does not include information about location, time, or identity,” CDPH said.

RELATED TOPICS:

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Jaguar and Land Rover Maker Pauses Shipments to US as It Develops Post-Tariff Plans

DON'T MISS

China Hit Brakes on TikTok Deal After Trump Announced Wide-Ranging Tariffs

DON'T MISS

Shohei Ohtani Throws Second Bullpen Since Resuming Mound Ramp Up

DON'T MISS

Visalia Traffic Stop Nets $30K in Xanax, Marijuana

DON'T MISS

Fresno Joins Global Protest Against Donald Trump and Elon Musk

DON'T MISS

2 US Border Inspectors Charged With Taking Bribes to Wave in People Without Documents

DON'T MISS

The Latest: Trump’s Tariffs Unleash Trade War and Calls for Negotiations

DON'T MISS

Phone Footage Appears to Contradict Israel’s Account in Troops’ Killing of 15 Palestinian Medics

DON'T MISS

Trump and Netanyahu to Discuss Gaza Crisis and Tariffs at Upcoming Meeting

DON'T MISS

Trump Doubles Down That Tariffs Will Pay Off for Americans

UP NEXT

Fresno Joins Global Protest Against Donald Trump and Elon Musk

UP NEXT

Phone Footage Appears to Contradict Israel’s Account in Troops’ Killing of 15 Palestinian Medics

UP NEXT

In California’s Capitol, Some Political Fights Span Decades

UP NEXT

Newsom Wants to Bypass Trump Tariffs With Direct CA Trade Deals

UP NEXT

Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way

UP NEXT

Saturday’s Spring Fest to Showcase Free, Low-Cost Activities for Fresno Kids

UP NEXT

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

UP NEXT

Fresno Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Marijuana DUI Crash

UP NEXT

These Fresno First-Graders Are Topping Their Peers in Reading

UP NEXT

Fresno Burial Ceremony to Honor Five Abandoned Babies Set for Saturday

David Taub,
Senior Reporter
Curiosity drives David Taub. The award-winning journalist might be shy, but feels mighty with a recorder in his hand. He doesn't see it his job to "hold public officials accountable," but does see it to provide readers (and voters) the information needed to make intelligent choices. Taub has been honored with several writing awards from the California News Publishers Association. He's just happy to have his stories read. Joining GV Wire in 2016, Taub covers politics, government and elections, mainly in the Fresno/Clovis area. He also writes columns about local eateries (Appetite for Fresno), pro wrestling (Off the Bottom Rope), and media (Media Man). Prior to joining the online news source, Taub worked as a radio producer for KMJ and PowerTalk 96.7 in Fresno. He also worked as an assignment editor for KCOY-TV in Santa Maria, California, and KSEE-TV in Fresno. He has also worked behind the scenes for several sports broadcasts, including the NCAA basketball tournament, and the Super Bowl. When not spending time with his family, Taub loves to officially score Fresno Grizzlies games. Growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area, Taub is a die-hard Giants and 49ers fan. He graduated from the University of Michigan with dual degrees in communications and political science. Go Blue! You can contact David at 559-492-4037 or at Send an Email

Visalia Traffic Stop Nets $30K in Xanax, Marijuana

2 hours ago

Fresno Joins Global Protest Against Donald Trump and Elon Musk

2 hours ago

2 US Border Inspectors Charged With Taking Bribes to Wave in People Without Documents

3 hours ago

The Latest: Trump’s Tariffs Unleash Trade War and Calls for Negotiations

4 hours ago

Phone Footage Appears to Contradict Israel’s Account in Troops’ Killing of 15 Palestinian Medics

5 hours ago

Trump and Netanyahu to Discuss Gaza Crisis and Tariffs at Upcoming Meeting

5 hours ago

Trump Doubles Down That Tariffs Will Pay Off for Americans

5 hours ago

Senate GOP Approves Trump’s Tax Breaks and Spending Cuts After Late-Night Session

6 hours ago

How Schools Can Help Students Facing Homelessness Get to Class

6 hours ago

What’s in Your Emergency Travel Bag?

6 hours ago

Jaguar and Land Rover Maker Pauses Shipments to US as It Develops Post-Tariff Plans

LONDON — The maker of Jaguar and Land Rover cars is pausing shipments to the U.S. as Britain’s struggling auto industry begins to resp...

10 minutes ago

10 minutes ago

Jaguar and Land Rover Maker Pauses Shipments to US as It Develops Post-Tariff Plans

26 minutes ago

China Hit Brakes on TikTok Deal After Trump Announced Wide-Ranging Tariffs

46 minutes ago

Shohei Ohtani Throws Second Bullpen Since Resuming Mound Ramp Up

A Visalia traffic stop on Friday, April 4, 2025, for tinted windows led to the arrest of a 22-year-old man after police found $30,000 worth of Xanax pills and a pound of marijuana in his vehicle. (Visalia PD)
2 hours ago

Visalia Traffic Stop Nets $30K in Xanax, Marijuana

2 hours ago

Fresno Joins Global Protest Against Donald Trump and Elon Musk

3 hours ago

2 US Border Inspectors Charged With Taking Bribes to Wave in People Without Documents

4 hours ago

The Latest: Trump’s Tariffs Unleash Trade War and Calls for Negotiations

5 hours ago

Phone Footage Appears to Contradict Israel’s Account in Troops’ Killing of 15 Palestinian Medics

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend