Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Fresno Antiviolence Operation Nets 2 Federal Indictments for Gun Offenses
TLBBHMAP3-U010ALB5ANM-348f959abae2-512-300x300-1
By Jim Jakobs, Digital Producer
Published 4 years ago on
November 5, 2020

Share

A joint local and federal law enforcement antiviolence effort in Fresno resulted in grand jury indictments Thursday against two local men on gun-related charges, U.S. Attorney McGregor W. Scott announced in a press release.

Lane Kelly Whittenberg, 32, was charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm and Simon Meza Jr., 38, was indicted for being a felon in possession of ammunition found in a loaded gun. Both have prior convictions on firearms charges.

“We are fully committed to working with local law enforcement in the City of Fresno and Fresno County to reduce violent crime.”U.S. Attorney McGregor W. Scott in a statement. 

“We are fully committed to working with local law enforcement in the City of Fresno and Fresno County to reduce violent crime,” said U.S. Attorney Scott in a news release.

Indictments

According to court documents, Whittenberg was involved in a verbal dispute in late October at a restaurant and was observed to be in possession of a gun. As police approached the restaurant, they reported hearing two gun shots, which they later attributed to by Whittenberg. Authorities said police found a handgun on the front seat of Whittenberg’s car. He has been convicted previously of evading arrest and robbery in 2014 and possession of a firearm by a felon in 2018.

The Attorney’s Office said Meza was apprehended after an attempted traffic stop, followed by a pursuit. After Meza’s abandoned his vehicle, officers found him hiding nearby. Court document said Meza was seen discarding a bag containing a loaded firearm and a wallet with his ID card inside. Meza has multiple prior convictions for illegal weapons and drug possession, the release said.

Maximum Penalty of 10 Years

If convicted, Whittenberg and Meza face maximum penalties of 10 years in prison and $250,000 in fines.

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

UP NEXT

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

2 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

2 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

Former Vice President Mike Pence will receive the John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award for his refusal to go along with President Donald...

12 minutes ago

Vice President Mike Pence hands the electoral certificate from the state of Arizona to Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., as he presides over a joint session of Congress as it convenes to count the Electoral College votes cast in November's election, at the Capitol in Washington, Jan. 6, 2021. (AP File)
12 minutes ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

20 minutes ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth attends a joint news conference with Japan's Defense Minister Gen Nakatani at the Ministry of Defense in Tokyo Sunday, March 30, 2025. (Kiyoshi Ota/Pool Photo via AP)
27 minutes ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

President Donald Trump holds a signed executive order during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden of the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Evan Vucci)
2 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

2 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

2 hours ago

As Dem Candidates for Governor Increase, They Wait for Harris to Decide

2 hours ago

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

On April 5th, the "Hands Off!" group will hold an international protest, including a Fresno demonstration at Fashion Fair Mall, urging Donald Trump and Elon Musk to stop their influence over vital social programs and rights. (Hands Off!)
2 hours ago

Protests Planned All Over the World Aimed at Donald Trump and Elon Musk

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend