Share
Netflix CEO Reed Hastings and his wife, Patty Quillin, are donating $120 million toward student scholarships at historically black colleges and universities.
History of Supporting Educational Issues
Hastings has a history of supporting educational causes, including charter schools. He launched a $100 million education fund in 2016, beginning with money toward college scholarships for black and Latino students.
Hastings said now is the time when “everyone needs to figure out” how to contribute to solving racism. He said HBCUs have been resilient “little-known gems” for black education.
Amid protests over police brutality that began three weeks ago, companies and business leaders have been pledging solidarity with their black employees and the black community. But tech companies — including Netflix — have fallen short in hiring, retaining and promoting underrepresented minorities within their own ranks.
Other tech industry donations in the wake of the Black Lives Matter protests have largely been on the company level. Last week, for instance, Apple CEO Tim Cook announced that the company will spend $100 million on a new Racial Equity and Justice Initiative, investing in education and criminal justice reform among other things. YouTube, meanwhile, pledged $100 million to help black artists and other creators.
RELATED TOPICS:
Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks
14 hours ago
Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency
16 hours ago
First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close
17 hours ago
Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6
17 hours ago
Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike
18 hours ago
President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point
19 hours ago
Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal
19 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency
