Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Shanahan Defends 49ers’ Handling of Troubled LB Foster
By admin
Published 6 years ago on
November 27, 2018

Share

Mug shot of Reuben Foster
(Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office via AP)

SANTA CLARA — A day after the San Francisco 49ers released linebacker Reuben Foster following a domestic violence arrest, coach Kyle Shanahan said he and the team were unaware of a prior altercation in October between Foster and the same alleged victim.

Foster was arrested Saturday night for an incident at the team hotel in Tampa, the latest in a string of legal issues involving the linebacker. The 49ers cut Foster on Sunday morning before their game against the Buccaneers.

Reports emerged later Sunday that police had been called on Oct. 12 for another incident between Foster and the woman in Santa Clara.

The 49ers claimed they had a zero-tolerance policy this season with Foster, who also was arrested on a domestic violence charge last spring involving the woman. The Associated Press generally does not identify victims of alleged domestic violence.

“Absolutely not,” Shanahan said Monday when asked if he knew about the October incident. “The first time I heard about it, somebody told us about it when we landed (Sunday night) after it was written in the paper. Everyone in our building was the same on that.”

Defending the Team’s Decision to Release Foster

Shanahan spent the majority of his news conference Monday defending the team’s decision to release Foster, the way the team handled Foster during his tenure — and the decision to draft the troubled player in the first place.

“There were things that we believed we could help him with,” Shanahan said. “We worked on him since he’s been here. … We thought he would improve and we were gonna do everything we could to help him. And Reuben did improve in some things.

“But for that to come up … and what happened Saturday with the same (person) at a team hotel, it’s just hard to comprehend how you could put yourself in that situation again.”

There were red flags surrounding Foster leading up to the 2017 draft, including failing a drug test at the combine.

Gun Charge and Marijuana Possession

Though domestic violence charges were dropped against him last spring, Foster served a two-game suspension to begin this season for his arrest on a gun charge and for misdemeanor marijuana possession.

“There’s not many things in this world more wrong than domestic violence and things like that.” — coach Kyle Shanahan

Shanahan said the 49ers had someone checking in on Foster often, doing everything the team could do short of having someone live with him.

“I do believe in his heart,” the coach said. “I hope I’m not wrong on that. Shame on me if I am. But I also know he’s shown that we couldn’t trust his decision-making. … There’s not many things in this world more wrong than domestic violence and things like that.”

Shanahan said he twice tried calling Foster on Monday but only got his voicemail.

There Weren’t Many Football-Related Questions

“Hopefully this is rock bottom for him,” Shanahan said, “and he can fix himself in all those ways and still find a way to go have success in his life, or hopefully with another team someday.”

“Hopefully this is rock bottom for him, and he can fix himself in all those ways and still find a way to go have success in his life, or hopefully with another team someday.” — coach Kyle Shanahan

There weren’t many football-related questions for Shanahan on Monday, but he did say Nick Mullens would remain San Francisco’s starting quarterback this Sunday at Seattle despite a shaky effort in a 27-9 loss at Tampa Bay.

“I know I said Nick didn’t play very well, but no one played well and I didn’t coach well,” Shanahan said. “So it was all of us. Nick did a good job in his first two games. He was not the reason that happened yesterday, so it would be unfair to (replace him).”

NOTES: Strong safety Jaquiski Tartt is day-to-day with a stinger in the same shoulder that’s given him problems recently. . Safety D.J. Reed is expected to miss Sunday’s game with a foot strain and chest contusion. … Receiver Pierre Garcon (knee) will be evaluated Wednesday.

DON'T MISS

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

DON'T MISS

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

DON'T MISS

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

DON'T MISS

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

DON'T MISS

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

DON'T MISS

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

UP NEXT

Carbon Monoxide Was Cause of Death of Brett Gardner’s Teen Son, Officials Confirm

UP NEXT

Bettors Back Duke Men and UConn Women for National Championships

UP NEXT

Flores Homers, Matos and Wade Also Go Deep to Help Giants Cap Sweep of Astros

UP NEXT

After Briefly Disappearing, TikTok Went Back to Normal. Or Did It?

UP NEXT

Ohtani’s Walk-off Homer Boosts Dodgers to 8-0 With Another Comeback Win

UP NEXT

Here’s How the New NFL Rules on Kickoffs and Overtime Will Work

UP NEXT

Webb Pitches 7 Strong Innings as Giants Beat Astros

UP NEXT

Curry Drops 52 as Warriors Beat Grizzlies, Move into Fifth in West

UP NEXT

Dodgers Extend Perfect Start Behind May and Betts’ Heroics

UP NEXT

Lakers Hold Off Rockets With 6 3-Pointers Apiece From Dorian Finney-Smith, Gabe Vincent

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

2 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

3 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

3 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

4 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

4 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

5 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

5 hours ago

As Dem Candidates for Governor Increase, They Wait for Harris to Decide

5 hours ago

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

5 hours ago

Protests Planned All Over the World Aimed at Donald Trump and Elon Musk

5 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

Texas, Oklahoma and New Mexico reported new measles cases this week, with the outbreak expanding for the first time into central Texas. Alre...

10 minutes ago

10 minutes ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

17 minutes ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

21 minutes ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
2 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

3 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Vice President Mike Pence hands the electoral certificate from the state of Arizona to Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., as he presides over a joint session of Congress as it convenes to count the Electoral College votes cast in November's election, at the Capitol in Washington, Jan. 6, 2021. (AP File)
3 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

4 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth attends a joint news conference with Japan's Defense Minister Gen Nakatani at the Ministry of Defense in Tokyo Sunday, March 30, 2025. (Kiyoshi Ota/Pool Photo via AP)
4 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend