GV Wire is an online news publication based in Fresno, California. The site launched in 2016 in order to illuminate programs, policies and people who promote the economic prosperity, health and well-being of residents of the Central Valley. While the focus of GV Wire is investigative reporting on local and state government issues, we also like to include local lifestyle and sports coverage.
GV Wire is owned by Granville Homes, Inc. Darius Assemi, the CEO and president of Granville Homes, founded GV Wire as part of his belief that good public policy is the most effective form of philanthropy. In the case that GV Wire’s coverage intersects with the business of Granville Homes, GV Wire will diligently pursue a well-balanced story.
Do you have a story that impacts the lives of Central Valley residents?
Let us know.
GV Wire Headquarters
1396 W. Herndon Avenue, Suite 101
Fresno, CA 93711
GV Wire Staff
Reporter and Researcher
The main function of the Multimedia Journalist will be to conduct research, write, shoot, edit and report news stories for GV Wire and other platforms and publications – including Granville’s quarterly print magazine. Will report on local and national political issues and business topics, San Joaquin Valley events, and human-interest stories that impact the local community. Research and analysis focuses on social issues, the economy, governance and the quality of life topics.
The ideal candidate will have strong writing and research skill, sound news judgement, insatiable curiosity, exceptional research and communication skills, outstanding work ethic and integrity. Video is the main platform for telling our stories, therefore, an ideal candidate will have shooting and editing knowledge and the ability to learn new programs in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong and detailed video editing skills and firm knowledge of AP guidelines;
- Demonstrated writing ability for video, print, and online platforms;
- Gathering information that may not be easily accessible about issues/events through research, interview, experience, or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social or other functions;
- Interviewing people in a range of different circumstances;
- Checking reference materials, such as books, news files, or public records, to obtain relevant facts;
- Building contacts to maintain a flow of news: contacts should include, but are not limited to sources in local council, community groups, along with press officers from a variety of organizations, and the general public;
- Seeking out and investigating stories via your contacts, press releases and other media;
- Attending press conferences, City Council meetings, etc., and asking questions;
- Staying informed on current events and reacting to breaking news stories on the company’s behalf as necessary;
- Working closely with a marketing team, photographers and editors;
- Producing concise and accurate copy according to the company’s style guidelines and to strict deadlines – there may be several per day;
- Writing short ‘fillers’ to entertain, researching and writing longer feature articles, sometimes for external publications;
- Creating and uploading news content for the website, including attaching images and streaming video;
- Utilizing social media reporting or real-time blogging when covering important events;
- Familiarity with key local players, including elected officials, business leaders and notable community figures.
- College degree in journalism, political science, or related degree; or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Demonstrated experience in shooting, writing, editing and on-air presentation skills;
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment.
- Excellent English grammar and writing
- Research and investigate with integrity
- Video Technology
- Filming and Editing
GV Wire is looking for a dynamic general assignment reporter with at least two years weekly/digital news reporting experience to join an expanding online media company.
- Established digital/social media presence/skills;
- The ability to operate a video camera;
- Experience with photo and video editing software;
- Ability to find stories of interest to report on;
- Ability to write quickly and accurately on deadline;
- Willingness to work some evening hours and occasional weekends as required; and
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field.
The candidate for this position understands the needs of a multi-media newsroom and the important role community journalism plays. The job entails providing daily local news coverage for our digital media service including text, audio and video and social media. The ideal candidate would have in-depth knowledge of local and state government coverage, as well as a knack for taking complex issues and breaking them down for the consumption of the general population.
The right candidate will be able to produce content that varies from feature and lifestyle writing to reporting on municipal government to big picture investigative pieces that examine issues relevant to our community.
Compensation commensurate with experience.
Get in on the ground floor of a new and dynamic startup media company backed by the Central Valley’s most awarded and community-oriented home builder, Granville Homes! GV Wire is looking for a storyteller/filmographer/editor to help tell the stories of the issues that impact our lives in the Central Valley. With incredible benefits, competitive pay with room for growth and a chance to make a meaningful difference in our community, this is an amazing opportunity for the right person.
GV Wire is looking to set itself apart through the way we deliver the story. The right candidate must have the drive, vision and enthusiasm to create a compelling, emotional narrative in a fast-paced environment. This position will include daily filming and editing, as well as regular production of long-format, story-driven pieces. View more GV Wire on Facebook.
This position requires proficiency in Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Audition, Photoshop and Illustrator; and the ability to create and produce media projects for gvwire.com, with occasional projects for other Granville companies. The Videographer will work with the News Director and other GV Wire staff in a variety of video-related projects. This individual will be responsible for media related projects throughout the year, and will perform other related duties as assigned. The successful candidate will have solid skills in video production and editing and the talent to shoot narrative-driven video that is professional and compelling.
He/she will be responsible to produce a variety of video products for broadcasting, webcasting, video streaming, and digital distribution. The Videographer will plan and direct assigned productions; oversees operation of setups and operation of video/camera equipment, including but not limited to: drone, digital video effects equipment, audio mixers; studio lighting equipment, microphones, etc. She/he will provide troubleshooting of video, audio and lighting equipment; perform routine equipment maintenance; research trends and makes recommendations to department for software and equipment purchases.
- Operate and maintain a variety of digital video cameras and video editing equipment;
- Operate computers and relevant systems and software;
- Ability to produce emotionally-driven videos with a strong emphasis on story telling;
- Create clean motion graphics in a timely manner;
- Perform post production work, such as color grading and audio adjustment;
- Creatively plan and translate abstract concepts into effective visual form;
- Work with other technical and non-technical staff to organize and implement videotaping of marketing or public relations related projects;
- Advise team members on effective media communication practices;
- Gathering information that may not be easily accessible about issues/events through research, interviews, experience, or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social, or other functions;
- Interviewing people in a range of different circumstances;
- Adapt video products to fit needs of target audience;
- Develop and optimize workflow techniques to manage complex video projects effectively and efficiently;
- Ability to quickly find relevant b-roll and music without copyright restrictions;
- Troubleshoot video product complications and research solutions and make technical decisions;
- Lift/move/perform basic repairs on video/photo equipment;
- Communicate effectively with individuals and groups;
- Write and speak clearly, concisely and effectively;
- Meet deadlines and manage multiple priorities; and
- Research and remain current on the developments and applications of state of the art video production technology.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function successfully. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Excellent videography, photography, and editing skills;
- Very experienced with Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects and Adobe Audition;
- Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator preferred, and comfortable using PC platform;
- Drone experience preferred;
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented and organized;
- Previous work or educational experience in videography and photography required;
- Highly creative and imaginative;
- The ability to work both independently and in a team setting;
- Excellent time management and organizational skills to meet deadlines;
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously in a very fast-paced environment;
- Flexible schedule;
- Strong portfolio that demonstrates strong storytelling skills;
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills;
- Availability to work on occasional evenings weekends; and
- Great people skills, initiative, and enthusiasm.
- Light physical effort involving stooping, bending and lifting of equipment to and from locations (30 – 50 lbs.);
- Standing for long periods of time; and
- Handle lighting equipment such as cables, connectors, different sizes of light stands, different sizes of lighting instruments from 150W to 2000W, video cameras and support equipment.
This job description documents the general nature and level of work, but is not intended to be
a comprehensive list of all activities, duties and responsibilities. The successful applicant may be asked to perform other duties as required.
Compensation commensurate with experience.