The Fresno Police Department, the County Sheriff’s Office, and the California Highway Patrol launched the 26th annual Operation Christmas Presence on Wednesday. This initiative is a proactive response to the potential increase in criminal activities during the bustling holiday shopping season.
Operation Christmas Presence is a community-focused event that aims to deter criminals from exploiting the festive season to victimize shoppers. The operation will see an amplified presence of law enforcement in major shopping areas, employing a variety of patrol methods. Shoppers can expect to see uniformed patrols, undercover resources, bicycle patrols, and even horseback patrols, ensuring a comprehensive coverage of the shopping areas.
The primary goal of this operation is to provide a safe and secure environment for community members during their holiday shopping. By increasing the visibility of law enforcement, the initiative aims to discourage potential criminal activities, thereby ensuring that everyone can enjoy a safe and happy holiday season.
Shopping Safety Tips
- When out shopping, park in well-lit areas, don’t walk alone, avoid distractions such as talking on the cell phone when walking to stores and don’t leave your purse unattended.
- Never leave items in plain sight. An even better idea is to remove all valuable items from inside your vehicle when parked outside.
- Always close vehicle windows and make sure doors are locked.
Online Shopping Tips
- If you order a package, select a destination where someone will be there to receive it. Possibilities other than your house include your workplace or a relative who is typically home. (Some services also offer delivery lockers and neighborhood pick-up sites.)
- Sign up for text or email delivery notifications so you will know when your shipment arrives.
- Consider installing a parcel lock box at your home.
- Utilize exchange zones located at all five Fresno PD district stations when selling/purchasing items using local social media channels.