California State Parks announced a reopening of campgrounds including a limited number of sites within Oceano Dunes State Vehicular Recreation Area and Pismo State Beach beginning Friday.
The agency is limiting the daily allowed number of “street legal” vehicles to 1,000 per day and “Green Sticker” OHV to 1,000 per day — for both park units.
“Public health, the safety of visitors and the protection of natural resources continues to be a priority across the State Park System,” said California State Parks Director Armando Quintero in a press release. “While State Parks is reopening access across the system, it is doing so with modifications and COVID-19 guidelines. It is up to every single visitor to follow our new health guidelines, employ safe practices and protect natural resources to prevent any future restrictions.”
While the parks department does not anticipate this operational change to impact visitation since this is considered the off-season, there may be instances where the maximum allowance of vehicles will be met, and no further vehicles will be allowed to enter the beach due to the temporary capacity requirement.
OHV Rental Concessions continue to be temporarily closed.
Although the state is reopening campgrounds across the state, there are some sites that remain temporarily closed due to the pandemic, wildfire and weather-related impacts, and other issues.
- Oceano Dunes SVRA: A total of 100 campsites will be available.
- Pismo SB: The North Beach Campground is temporarily closed due to recent storm impacts. Campsites for the developed Oceano Campground within Pismo SB are available for booking.
- Reservations are required for both park units and must be made at least two days (48 hours) prior to arrival on ReserveCalifornia.com.
Limited Vehicle Access & Day Use Hours
- Day Use Hours: 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily.
- Limited Vehicle Access:
- “Street legal” vehicles, such as jeeps and trucks.
- “Green sticker” off-highway vehicles.
The Green Sticker indicates vehicles are allowed to operate on public lands open to motor vehicles all year.
Phased Reopening Plan
The phased-reopening plan for Oceano Dunes and Pismo is designed to support a safe and healthy environment for employees, visitors and natural resources such as the endangered Western snowy plover and California least tern.
The date for phase III of the reopening plan has not been determined.
Details on the phased reopening plan can be read here.